Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 12-09-2014, 02:49 AM
<(°°<) <(°°)> (>°°)>

Default Christmas Dinner

I love hearing about different Christmas tradtions - especially what everyone is having for christmas dinner!
So - whats on the menu this year? Are you cooking - or are you visiting - how many christmas dinners are you having?

This year is going to be very... um filling for us. We are having our annual friendsmas on the 20th - and I am making my first ever turkey (slightly freaking out) - we'll probably be having the traditional Klöse and Rotkraut to go along with it. Friends are bringing dessert and salad.

On christmas eve my dad is smoking fish.
On the 25th we all go to my grandmas - and will be having goose (pretty tradtional German christmas dinner). My grandma usually does a 5 course meal on christmas... so that we'll be rolling home.
and on the 26th, my other grandma is making coq au vin.

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:08 AM
Top Dog

We're most likely having prime rib or something of the sort... my mom and I are going to bake cookies and do peppermint bark. Also having a blueberry pie that is store bought. Not sure what the side dishes will be.. but I am sure we'll have snacks as we don't have a large meal on Christmas. Just my brother and his dog are coming over so it will be him, his dog, my parents and me.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:02 AM
Twin 2

It's just my parents, my sister and I and we always have home made pizza!
Old 12-09-2014, 04:59 AM
Sit! Good dog.

This year is hard... I don't know what will be on Christmas day! I could have a newborn, be HUGE or on labour

However I'm not letting that stop me haha. We are obviously just staying home and it's just us. I'm still planning a proper Xmas dinner and have ordered pork and lamb from the butchers! Plus pigs in blankets. Will do them, roast potatoes, stuffing, roasted veg, green veg, sprouts and bacon and whatever else I can fit in. I may do a couple of cheats this year and get some premade bits and bobs which seems reasonable considering I will also have prawn cocktail starter. And we may have smoked salmon and scrambled eggs for breakfast.

See how optimistic I am hahahaha. Will be fun directing the boyfriend from a seat if I can't actually cook
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 12-09-2014, 06:19 AM
Top Dog

I'm not sure if we're doing it here or not yet. But if we are it's probably going to be ham (just way too much turkey in the last month), mashed potatoes, roasted veggies, and I'm making a chestnut cream Yule log for dessert (first attempt, going to be fun).

We don't really want anything crazy honestly after the Thanksgiving gorging. If we're visiting family, well, I don't think they want something crazy either, but I'll make the log either way.

We'll probably make cookies at some point though...
Old 12-09-2014, 08:29 AM
Highbread Dingbat

On the 17th we are going up to my grandfathers to do Mom's side Christmas. Ideally we will be eating moose or deer. Depending on how much luck he had hunting.

Not much going on Christmas day because my mom is working nights and wants to sleep lol
Old 12-09-2014, 08:44 AM
Just try me..

On Christmas Day we will be going to Allan (the bf's) family home. There will be a large group. I think there will be 12 or so of us. Dinner will likely be the typical turkey potatoes etc.

On boxing day I am doing my Christmas dinner. There are 8 of us for that meal. My brother's girl friend is a vegetarian so there will be more veggies than usual. My plan for Xmas dinner:

A brined turkey (perhaps injected too)
Stuffing
Mashed potatoes
Broccoli with cheese sauce
Fresh rolls
cranberry sauce
gravy
squash
and either beans or asparagus
oh and maybe a 'green salad' (its something my mom would make, sounds disgusting but is good. Its lime jello with pineapple and cottage cheese)

For dessert goodies:
short bread
nanimo bars
mint fudge
sugar cookies
meringue cookies
magic squares
maybe millionaire squares

oh and wine, lots of wine.

LOL makes me very glad our Thanksgiving is earlier. I am so ready for turkey again.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:27 AM
Love My Mutt <3

For the first time ever, i will not be directly in my house for Christmas and will be driving in at some point.

Usually we have turkey, cranberry sauce, stuffing, gravy, potatoes type thing. I'm vegetarian so I'll either grab something else, or tofu "turkey", which comes with stuffing and gravy.

Just the five of us. Some big changes coming up, so it'll likely be our last Christmas together, at least for a few years.

Oh yah, and we'll make some apple pie for dessert. Sometimes mom makes pecan pie too, but gross.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 12-09-2014, 10:39 AM
+ Nika

Main Entree
Veal with Lemon, & Sage Sauce
OR
Veal with Wild Mushrooms, & Butternut Squash

Appetizers, & Side Dishes
Cranberries
Fennel and Green Beans with Orange and Almonds
Green bean Casserole

As for Desert, I'm not sure yet.

Jazzy 5 y/o. Siberian

Nika 14 w/o. Siberian

(Picture coming soon!)
Old 12-09-2014, 10:40 AM
Silence! I ban you!

We will likely be at my brother's house for Christmas dinner. The last couple of years he's hosted because he's more centrally located and has the larger house. He cooks a ham and most of the sides. I smoked a turkey last year and will probably be doing that again. We also usually make escarole soup (wife is Italian).