Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 03-21-2015, 06:56 PM
Top Dog

Default Boston/Maine road trip with kids?

I'm starting to think about planning our trip for July... Does anyone have any recommendation? I'm totally clueless about what could be fun for kids up there.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:44 AM
Top Dog

Boston - check out the maparium, it's only open certain times/days though, but one of the coolest things I've ever seen. As a kid I enjoyed Quincy market. The Plantation outside Boston was also extremely cool and kid friendly and I'd highly recommend that.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 03-22-2015, 04:34 AM
<(같<) <(같)> (>같)>

-Boston Museum of Science is the best place ever. It's amazing - and great for kids too. We used to do field trips there all the time during elementary school. I loved it.

-Childrens Museum in Boston, also amazing.

-Whale watching in cape cod

-The beaches are beautiful.

-I'm not sure how far south you'll be, but if you're starting out in/near Rhode Island, Block Island is beautiful - and great for kids too. Try the salt water taffy.

-Or Martha's Vineyard - The ferry leaves from Nantucket and takes about an hour. Go on the Flying Horses Carousel in Oak Bluffs. It's one of the oldest carousels and it's huge.

-Newport, RI

-Plimoth Plantations - definatly have to go there, it's a huge outdoor museum in mass.

- New England Aquarium, Central Warf Boston

-Walk the Freedom Trail in Boston. I enjoyed it as a kid.

-Arcadia National Park in Maine

Can you tell I grew up in New England? We have a book called "Where should take the Kids? - The Northeast" from Fodor's which is great... and theres loads of ideas

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:00 AM
Top Dog

I really enjoyed The Freedom Trail as a kid - but I don't think I'd recommend Newport for kids under middle school age. Definitely doable and I'm sure I'd have enjoyed it when I was younger but it's definitely not geared towards kids and not much related to the history they learn in school in elementary, as opposed to Boston's historical sites.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:08 AM
Top Dog

Awesome. I think we want to spend 3 days in Boston, one day in Cape Cod (definitely want to do the whale thing, do we have to book ahead of time?), then probably 3 days up the coast but not sure where yet.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:44 AM
<(같<) <(같)> (>같)>

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
I really enjoyed The Freedom Trail as a kid - but I don't think I'd recommend Newport for kids under middle school age. Definitely doable and I'm sure I'd have enjoyed it when I was younger but it's definitely not geared towards kids and not much related to the history they learn in school in elementary, as opposed to Boston's historical sites.
Huh, really? I used to go to Newport all the time as a kid - no matter the age, I always enjoyed it. We went to alot of the surrounding beaches as well.

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:58 AM
Silence, peasants.

I highly recommend the children's musuem and the musuem of science. The second being really fun for adults as well as kids. There are tons of cool playgrounds spread out over various parks, and many lovely paths to walk too.

I don't know how old your kids are, but most kids find taking the subway exciting, haha.

The aquarium is kind of meh at this point, for the price of admission I'm not sure it's worth it.

Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle
Old 03-22-2015, 02:25 PM
Top Dog

They're 7!

I'm trying to figure out how many days to stay in Boston... Any idea how many days it would take to see the two museums and the aquarium, and to do the Freedom trail?

Right now I'm thinking to drive to Newport the first day (arrive around 2pm probably) and spend the night there... Then go to Plimoths Plantation on day 2... Then Boston and spend the night there... then 3 days there (if you think it's enough?). Then drive up to Cape Cod and spend the day there... maybe drive up the coast a bit and find a hotel up North for the night... Then drive to Portland... then I'm just not sure for Maine... I heard good things about Boothbay so I guess we could go there then to Acadia... so that would be 2/3 more days... then drive back another way (any idea?).

We can take 10 days total probably.
Old 03-22-2015, 03:30 PM
Top Dog

I think 3 days in Boston is good enough to see all the major stuff/what you really want to see, but you could definitely spend more time and not feel it's wasted. Less than 3 days will be too packed/you'll miss out.

I only went to Newport once at age 13. I think it's something a kid could definitely enjoy, but I personally think New England has a lot of other activities that would trump Newport in the child-friendly department. I'd say go there if you're interested in that type of history or your kids are at an age where they're learning about vanderbuilt and Carnegie in school, but don't make a special trip there for little ones.

I think your itinerary hotel-travel-wise sounds pretty ideal

Old 03-22-2015, 04:53 PM
Top Dog

Definitely do the Plymouth Plantation. I LOVED that as a kid, I still love it.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!