Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Rescue Forum

Old 10-08-2006, 07:54 PM
Purdue#1

Default What do you do?...

What do you do when:

your friend has an aussie that is destructive and no longer "cute" when they got it?
when they want to get rid of the dog, but don't want to and by what she says, she does not like that dog?
you can't have it?
they won't use the rescue group that you looked up for them?
her father wants to keep it because he loves the dog?
You know the dog needs freedom and most of all a job?
The dog's bored?

What do i do?
Old 10-08-2006, 08:08 PM
Twin 2.0

So the dad likes the dog, but your friend doesn't and so the dog isn't getting enough interaction and is being destructive?

If the dad likes the dog so much, then he needs to step up and get involved with it more, preferable with some activity like agility, Rally-O or herding.

Otherwise, push the rescue group on them more. I know that ARPH has a pretty active chapter in Indiana. They are great at finding the perfect home; I got my Aussie through them!
Old 10-08-2006, 08:18 PM
Purdue#1

They never have the time to play with the dog. she usually gets home late because of all the pratices she has. It is so called "attacking" their cats. it's really herding them. I told her that and she wouldn't listen. One of their outside cats was at the widow and she told the dog to get it. the dog hit the window in the process. the dog so far has chewed a hole in the wall, swallowed her dad's glasses, and destroyed numerous items of theirs. it needs a job.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:23 PM
Twin 2.0

No kidding! Aussies do not tolerate being a sedate type of dog. Why did they get an Aussie in the first place? Because it was cute? Cute as they are, they're still little hellions as puppies...that should have clued them in. She also can't or at least shouldn't blame the dog for following a command she gave it.

They really do need to face up to the fact that this is not the right dog for them. Or at least someone needs to get a lot more involved in training it...are there any sort of doggie daycares around your area? My dog's job is to be the daycare "ref" and he spends all day keeping order.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:02 PM
Purdue#1

no, she meant for the dog to hit the window. the dog was chasing the inside cat when she thought the dog was attacking it. he dad got the dog from a friend he knew. she said that the guy said it was a mini. It actually is, just the full 18in. I didn't know that until i looked up miniature aussies.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:06 PM
Purdue#1

there is also no doggy daycare within 45min to an hour of where we live. we live in the country where most dogs live outside and any stray or wandering dog is eventualy a dead dog. People don't like strays on their property or chasing their cattle.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:58 PM
Squishy face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdue#1 View Post
no, she meant for the dog to hit the window.
Ohhh she thought that hitting the window would teach the dog not to chase the cat? It doesn't really work that way, unfortunately!

I would just keep reminding her of a rescue group. It doesn't sound like she is willing to listen to your advice. They chose the wrong dog for their lifestyle. I hope this dog doesn't end up at the pound someday.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:51 PM
Purdue#1

she thought it as funny for the dog to hit the window. I don't think it would end up in a shelter. She said they are going to keep it if they can't find a home for it. they don't even try to find it a home though. she drags me into this then doesn't listen to a thing i say. the dog will live a lif of misery if they don't listen. I guess she thinks i will feel sad for it and take it in. I feel sad for it, but my mother said no. I can't take it in. I don't know. it just makes me sad and angry to think that there is a dog that is not doing what it should be doing and the owners are too busy and too stubborn to listen.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:26 PM
Top Dog

I would tell her in no uncertain terms that keeping an aussie in that situation is completely cruel and will only lead to more and more trouble. A dog like that needs mental stimulation the way kids need food or toys.
The longer she keeps the dog the more trouble the dog will have getting into a GOOD forever home.
The problem with the cats may escalate and a cat could easily be injured or killed and it will be HER fault not the dog's.
LOTS of people make the mistake of taking on a dog that is too much for them or their situation- it's what they do about it that sets them apart. The nice thing about purebred dogs is that there ARE breed specific rescue groups that will take the dog on and find it a suitable home.Keep on givng her the contact info for your nearest aussie rescue. I sure hope she listens to you. Poor dog
Old 10-09-2006, 08:49 PM
Twin 2.0

How about doing a fake-out? Tell you friend that your mom had a change of heart and then when you get the dog, go about calling up rescue or finding a good home for it yourself. Your friend can't get mad at you, she doesn't want the dog to begin with!