Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 10-08-2006, 07:03 PM
cindr

Default Have you ever heard of a Tosa? Or Japinese Fighting dog?

Just receintly this breed has become adopted into Canada. A muscle dog or better known as a Japinese Mastiff. Would you own one?
Old 10-08-2006, 07:06 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

I've seen some decent Tosas, but there are too many people trying to make monsters out of them that I'd be leary.

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 10-08-2006, 07:12 PM
Snow Girl

Yes they are very awesome dogs!!!! Haven''t met one in person yet but they awe me in pictures. Have heard of them being an awesome influence in some Bandogges too.

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 10-08-2006, 07:23 PM
Top Dog

I love tosas, but they are NOT a breed for the average pet owner. They are some of the hardest most protective dogs I've seen in my 17 years of being alive . I do want one in my life but I'll work my way up to that level. I've seen many tosas turn up bad because the owners dont know how to properly handle them, thats why I'll only get one when I feel I'm ready. But man, they are amazing. My aunts friend has them, and they are amazing, very friendly IF and ONLY IF you are a welcomed guest. My friend also has two and they are very agressive, but I blame the owners because they did not socialize them as puppies. These dogs have known me for a while and still everytime I walk up to the door they are already trying to break the door down to attack me, very unstable, but again its the owners not the breed.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:45 PM
overdogged

heard of them? yes. would want to own one? no. but that's mostly because i'm not really into protective breeds. my personal preference is for a dog who loves everybody.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 10-08-2006, 07:47 PM
Walks into Mordor

I met several tosas when I was living in Hawaii. Absolutely GORGEOUS dogs; it really gave me an obsession over them. I'd love to have one, but I honestly don't think it will ever happen. Tosas tend to be very dog aggressive as well as highly protective. And frankly, that wouldn't work well with our life situation right now.

This is definately worth repeating...they are NOT the dog for everyone! Actually, they're probably not the dog for 99% of potential dog owners out there.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:16 PM
cindr

I was hired by a business man here yrs ago. He was importing Dogos and Tosa's. Did not know what he was doing what so ever. Anyhow, I took the Dogo's and worked them. The male was awesome. The female just wanted to be a lap dog and do nothing.

So I would return the two Dogo's to the guy and his tosa that was 3 months old just approached and latched onto Quintine. Quintine was just being the man and did nothing. Why? Because of the training that I had placed into the dog.

I looked at Tim and said. I have no problem working with you and training your dogs. Although you are going to have a load of trouble here. That pup has been allowed to do just about anything and now I has enough aggression at three months to be a time bomb to pop off. You have three kids, and your wife to consider.

With that statement I was fired. Well do you honestly think I cared. In one aspect yes. 1 ) for the dogs 2) for the kids and the wife. Now Tim he needed a good shot to the head. Idiot.

Well what I have heard from the grape vine Quintine ended up an unrully aggressive dog. That would be sold to who knows who. Whisky would be bred and then who knows. The Tosa was sold and replaced with another one. People like this that have more money than brains should look for a train to get right on track. Just totally sickening
Old 10-08-2006, 09:17 PM
Are you dead yet?

Beautiful dogs. I'd never, ever own one. I like protective dogs, but the Tosa's I've met (granted, I've only met three) are much too aggressive for my taste. I prefer dogs that are quietly observant, and honestly just couldn't live with one that attempted to attack everyone who entered my house. I want a dog that I can trust.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:51 PM
Athletic Labs. They Exist

I know someone online who has 5 of them. Hers' are well bred and well brought up. She has them on her farm as guardians and im not sure what else. I THINK she may breed in the future.
Sawyer (2 year old, Labrador Retriever)
Morisson (2 year old, Lab/Beagle)
And aunt to-
Grace
aka my brothers/roommates dog.(1 year old, Lab/Shiba Inu)
Old 10-09-2006, 05:13 AM
Chihuahua Mum

They're banned in my country, but purely based on websites, books and pictures I love them. I doubt I would ever own one if they were allowed in this country though. Too much dog for lil' ol' me I think. lol
Still, I can admire from afar.

Cass.

I've been frosted!

Say NO to animals in pet shops! Rescue a friend instead.
"Raise them to be gentle and they will be gentle. Raise them to be vicious, and they will be vicious.
Problems lie not in the breed, but in the people."
- Dr. Carl Semenic