Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 10-08-2006, 04:58 PM
Purdue#1

Question A mini!

How do they "create" a miniature of a breed? my father wanted to know.
Old 10-08-2006, 05:16 PM
Top Dog

depends on the breed, with mini aussies, they started by breeding smaller to smaller, and while some probably still breed to some standard dogs for diversity in bloodlines, most now breed mini to mini which keeps the small size going.

Now I've 'heard' the toy aussies, some have gone to the toy size, throw in pomeranian to downsize faster. Alot of the "toy" aussies I've seen have snipey heads/noses, and pom faces..

So basically I would say, when you see "mini",,they have breed them smaller to smaller dogs, to end up with the 'mini' whatever.
diane
Old 10-08-2006, 05:21 PM
Top Dog

Don't mess with Mother Nature !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 10-08-2006, 05:25 PM
Purdue#1

thanks.The woman that recomended us to the obedience class that we go to has 1 female mini aussie that she takes to the class. The male stays at home. It is sponsored by the Heart Humane Society in Ky.
Old 10-08-2006, 05:35 PM
Salty Sea Dog

many iresponsible people are now mixing toy breeds (mostly chis) into a line to create "MINIS" however these people are just as bad as those creating "desighner mutts"

minuturizing a breed must be done VERY carefully and usually takes a long long time...

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 10-08-2006, 05:41 PM
Purdue#1

She bought her dogs from someone in the area. I'd never saw one until i saw her female. Looks like my dog, but 6 in. tall. i'm not sure, but i thinks on breeding them next year
Old 10-08-2006, 05:43 PM
Purdue#1

Quote:
but i thinks on breeding them next year

I thinks she plans on breeding them next year. Sorry about the spelling error.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:04 PM
Mistress Wigglebutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdue#1 View Post
She bought her dogs from someone in the area. I'd never saw one until i saw her female. Looks like my dog, but 6 in. tall. i'm not sure, but i thinks on breeding them next year

A six inch tall mini aussie?!

Yikes!

Yes, mini aussies registered with NAMASCUSA should have all mini aussie lines and standard aussie lines but you do often see the "toy" breeds with pom in them. They're pretty gross looking. Luckily NAMASCUSA discourages domed heads and other "toy" qualities.

-----
Puppy Whiskers, Callie Dog and my Angel, trimming and watering the grass at Rainbow Bridge while they wait for me.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:38 PM
CASSA

What can happen if if a breeder with money sends a great looking rep of the breed out as a puppy and it wins big as a puppy they are less forgiving since they say oh will grow taller then when it turns out to be a mini adult if the right judges or breeders get behind it they get the club to change teh standard....and not to long everyone follows suit- until someone comes along and decides lets create MINI dogs.

I bred a runt 1 inch under the standard she is spayed here with me.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:53 PM
Top Dog

They first got "mini aussies" by selectively breeding dogs on the small end of the standard. The problem is when you are only breeding for one trait the rest often get overlooked like temperament, health, work ability etc Most aussie people cringe at the talk of "minis" and agree that breeding minis is just another form another of bybing / unethical breeding. It's no different than a doodle or a "teacup" whatever ____ (insert favorite miniaturised, screwed up breed)
Anyone who has owned an aussie knows that it isn't the size of the dog that adds the work or adds any headache- it's the herding drive, the need to work, the energy etc
I have also heard about people breeding in shelties with aussies to make minis.
I hadn't yet heard of breeding in poms to make toy aussies. Pathetic
The funniest thing is when you meet someone with a smallish aussie and you say "Oh an aussie" and they say "a MINI aussie" as if that's somehow better or more exclusive, when really it's just a runty, poorly bred aussie who has probably had bred out much of what makes an aussie a great dog.
Oh gee I went on a bit of a rant eh? OOPS. I guess it hits closer to home when it's your heart breed