Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Rainbow Bridge - Dog Memorials

Old 10-06-2006, 04:15 PM
Active Pup

Default She did good

You know that dog you get after you have established yourself. The dog you get after you move into your second home with a larger yard to accommodate the two children you now have. The dog that is in hundreds of family photo,s.

We got that dog when my son was five and my daughter was three. She was a female Basset hound named Birdie. She was happy to endure having clothes put on her when the little girls would decide to play dress up. She would sleep in a homemade tent or a fort made from boxes without question as long as one of the kids was in there. She ate pizza crust and stayed close by when a scary movie was on TV. She went on walks with a beautiful teenage girl that wanted to be seen by the boys. She was at every Christmas and birthday party we had in this house. Our son left for college 2 years ago and our daughter left this year. . Birdie left last night. She did good.

Birdie was not my dog she wasn't my wifes dog or my kids. She was truly just a member of my family. I didn't know what to do with her body. This may sound odd to some. The place i took her to is a remote spot. It is a two hour hike where three lakes come together with a small clearing between all three lakes. This is one of my favorite spots. I decided to rap her in plastic then put her in my backpack and hike her to this spot. I unrapped her and placed her about 200 feet off the trail to become part of this place.I did not bury her as i want her to become part of the wildlife. I didn't know how i would feel about pulling out of my pack and setting her in the woods. After i did it I set at the clearing and watched all the reasons i love this spot. I was so aware of all of the wildlife.
Geese overhead, ducks in the water, Woodpecker in the distance pecking away. I watched the the wind blow through the fall foliage and thought to myself that this is much better than a hole in the backyard. I felt glad that i made the hike. Whenever i am here i will remember Birdie.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:49 PM
Big Dog

I'm speechless...
god bless you... and you will see her again one day and will be able to hike again.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:28 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

That was beautiful. Rest in Peace sweet Birdie.

Old 10-06-2006, 06:02 PM
Top Dog

I am so sorry that Birdie had to leave you and make the trip to the Bridge.

What a loving tribute to sweet, sweet Birdie! You and your family will always have Birdie with you in your hearts and memories.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:11 PM
Top Dog

I'm so sorry, RIP Birdie. That was such a beautiful tribute.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:37 PM
Water Junkie

Awww that was truely amazing!!!!

And even though I do not know you or you sweet dog I am almost in tears!!!!

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 10-06-2006, 09:10 PM
Scum scum scum scum..SCUM

I'm so very sorry for your loss.. What you wrote is beautiful.. Birdie had a wonderful life and you did her good..

Thanks BP!! I LOVE it!! I'VE BEEN FROSTED! I have been befriended by Buddy'sParents! YAY!

Breathless, we flung us on a windy hill,
Laughed in the sun, and kissed the lovely grass.
~Rupert Brooke

Nature hates calculators.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

To me a lush carpet of pine needles or spongy grass is more welcome than the most luxurious Persian rug.
~Helen Keller

TBPC "Smokin"
Old 10-06-2006, 10:52 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like Birdie was one in a million...and I'll bet that's how you and your family always made her feel.
RIP dear Birdie...

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Old 10-07-2006, 12:38 AM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Wow...that post is so sad. I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how you feel. RIP Birdie...you did good.

Chloe - 9 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 3 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 10-07-2006, 09:52 AM
Love my pets

I know Birdie is in a special place now and will always be with you and your family in your hearts and memories. Birdie was a special member of your family who will be missed dearly.