Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 10-04-2006, 08:46 AM
cindr

Default So you want to breed your dog? Check out the costs!

Well there are alot of people that wish to breed their dog, Why sure cause they want to experiance nature, Then you have those that want to make some money.

I never forget a guy coming to my home and looking at the German Shepherd pups. There were 12 in the litter. He said your getting $1000.00 per pup. Wow that is a load of money. I want one just to breed! I looked at him and said do you have a few min's. He said yes. I told him I am not trying to stop a sale here but i just need you to realise what it costs to breed.

So here I go!

1) Purchase the dog $1000.00
2) 2nd set of Shots 3rd set of shots heart guard $400.00
3) Dog food $70.00 per bag the good food per month. $1640.00 calculated at a 2 yr base rate
4) Dog training $600.00 or more for the yr
5) Hip elbow and shoulder pri-limbed $250.00 certified at 2 yrs of age another $300.00
6) Next yrs rabies booster and heart $200.00
So todate there is a total of $4140.00
So now the owner needs to locate a mate for the dog. your not just going to go to just any dog. You have to go to a dog that compliments the dog you already own.
So now the cost rises;
1) Stud service $1000.00 to $1500.00
2) Vet checks on the dog $200.00
3) Dog begins to deliver oops complications arise dog needs a c- section $1500.00 over and above what you have put out.
4) puppy food $100.00 per month x 3 months $300.00
5) puppy dewormer $100.00
6) Puppy shots x 10 $600.00 or more
7) Micro chip or tattoo $400.00 per litter
8) Registrations of pups, $700.00
9) Advertising now most is free but generally its $100.00 per week
So now you have a total of $9440.00 invested into the dog and its litter. Not including the taxes that you need to pay out per dog. You sell the 10 pups for $1000.00 and what have you made for you hard work. your right basically nothing.
This is why many of the dog breeders out there just put two dogs together and see what they can get out of the dogs. Well as stated it is alot more than that. I is about being responsible for the dogs and the dogs you breed. If you can't put the funding into it to do it right then do not do it at all.

Breeding is a form of an art it is about enhancing the quality of the dog and that of the breed. Therefore if your intentions is about making a buck or two then your better of getting a job. I am one that has this feeling. If you want a dog then get it becuase you truly love the dog. If you want to breed then put the money into it. Don't just breed to breed
Old 10-04-2006, 10:26 AM
Looking for a dog !

You are a good breeder but a BYB would skip all those costs....here is what they do.

1) Purchase the dog free-$100 from another BYB
2) 2nd set of Shots 3rd set of shots heart guard $0 (who cares)
3) Dog food $20.00 per bag max, less for smaller breed.
4) Dog training $0, who cares
5) Hip elbow and shoulder pri-limbed (who cares)
6) Next yrs rabies booster and heart (who cares)
So to date there is a total of $100 for the dog and $20 a month expeneses

Breeding
1) Stud service $100 or so for another dog
2) Vet checks on the dog (who cares)
3) Dog begins to deliver oops complications arise dog needs a c- section (put down the dog and start again) another $100
4) puppy food $20.00 per month x 3 months $60.00
5) puppy dewormer (who cares)
6) Puppy shots x 10 (who cares)
7) Micro chip or tattoo (who cares)
8) Registrations of pups, (who cares)
9) Advertising now most is free

So now you have a total of $400-500 max invested into the dog and its litter. You sell the 10 pups for $400.00 - $600 and what have you made is 4-5k.

This is why you see so many BYB breeders. Just put two dogs together and see what they can get out of the dogs.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:58 AM
cindr

Default Breeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by musky hunter View Post
You are a good breeder but a BYB would skip all those costs....here is what they do.

1) Purchase the dog free-$100 from another BYB
2) 2nd set of Shots 3rd set of shots heart guard $0 (who cares)
3) Dog food $20.00 per bag max, less for smaller breed.
4) Dog training $0, who cares
5) Hip elbow and shoulder pri-limbed (who cares)
6) Next yrs rabies booster and heart (who cares)
So to date there is a total of $100 for the dog and $20 a month expeneses

Breeding
1) Stud service $100 or so for another dog
2) Vet checks on the dog (who cares)
3) Dog begins to deliver oops complications arise dog needs a c- section (put down the dog and start again) another $100
4) puppy food $20.00 per month x 3 months $60.00
5) puppy dewormer (who cares)
6) Puppy shots x 10 (who cares)
7) Micro chip or tattoo (who cares)
8) Registrations of pups, (who cares)
9) Advertising now most is free

So now you have a total of $400-500 max invested into the dog and its litter. You sell the 10 pups for $400.00 - $600 and what have you made is 4-5k.

This is why you see so many BYB breeders. Just put two dogs together and see what they can get out of the dogs.
Yup: You know it. This is why I just freak at some of the things I see. But mind you if I get ahold of you. Mark my words you will think twice or three times before doing it again. These back yard breeders need to be shot.

We have a poodle breeder in he neighbourhood. This lady was and is so insane you'd have to cry. Now her husband had to work two jobs to support the WING NUT. She would stomp her feet and carry on like a freak when she wanted a new dog. So when all was said he'd go and get the dog.

She would go to a byb and can you beleive this she'd pay #1000.00 for the dog. Have the dog for 3 weeks and then put the same dog in our local paper for $200.00 Now if she liked the dog she'd keep it guarentee'd. So now she keeps the dog and breeds it every heat and sells the pups for $300.00.

I remember her teenage son used to have to stay in the house 24/7 to babysit mom's dogs. Why becuase they were not house trained and if no one stayed with them they would **** on the couch the floor and or somewhere then either play in it or start eating it.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:59 PM
Top Dog

Just wanted to add that that almost doubles if you are in the UK, for starters you will not get a bitch if breeding quality for less then ***163;1000 ($1,885)(biased on a boxer) And just the thaught of all the show costs makes your eyes water
Old 10-04-2006, 02:39 PM
Top Dog

If someone wants to breed for money and think that they can make big bucks off of it, I would think that seeing those estimated costs for a responsible breeder might make them change their mind. But if they looked at the amounts they could make if they were a BYB and just cut corners, I'm sorry to say that I think that is what people would do. If your just in it for money why would you want to be responsible when you can make more money as a BYB. It's sad but that's how alot of people think when it comes to money. After all being a BYB is about the money and not the dogs

Thanks for the siggie Baxter'smybaby!

Laura
Old 10-04-2006, 03:10 PM
Evil Kitty taco eater

I could add about 5 items that are costly as well!
Any pro training needed...600-750 a month
Training supplies.....up to 5k for a year depending on how serious you are in the retriever game.
Entry fees for competitions 125-250 each entry
gas, lodging. 300

Where am I going? And why am I in this hand basket!!!?
Old 10-04-2006, 03:20 PM
Collie Crazy

I just want to say this:Yes BYB do cut their costs dramatically, but reputable breeders exagerrate costs, probably to scare possible breeders.

There is nothing wrong with cutting certain corners like home vaccinating (which I do with fosters and my own dogs) home de worming etc.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:04 PM
Evil Kitty taco eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzieCollie View Post
I just want to say this:Yes BYB do cut their costs dramatically, but reputable breeders exagerrate costs, probably to scare possible breeders.

There is nothing wrong with cutting certain corners like home vaccinating (which I do with fosters and my own dogs) home de worming etc.
I dont see any exaggeration here.
Training supplies for retriever training take a look

Zing winger (launches birds) 399.95 (want to purchase)
Dummy launcher 125.00 (have)
training collar 250.00 each I have 2
Bark collar 100 each I have 1
Slip leads 20.00 I have 4
Bumpers or dummies 16.00 for a 3 pack, I have bought at least 10 3 packs this year.
Birds 10-20$ each. I have bought around 20.
Pro training..I have spent 1800 this year alone and still have at least 2 mo more to pay for.
Not to mention all the little things I purchase. Or events I attend like banquets and club meetings held at restuarants. SHot gun shells for training, Cap gun and shells for training ECT ECT.
Its not cheap trust me!

Where am I going? And why am I in this hand basket!!!?
Old 10-04-2006, 04:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzieCollie View Post

OK list what is exaggerated! Byb cut cost hugely as all they do is put two dog together, with no regard for health, showing also never comes into it, then they do not care for the pups and bitch correctly.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:03 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindr View Post
Well there are alot of people that wish to breed their dog, Why sure cause they want to experiance nature, Then you have those that want to make some money.

I never forget a guy coming to my home and looking at the German Shepherd pups. There were 12 in the litter. He said your getting $1000.00 per pup. Wow that is a load of money. I want one just to breed! I looked at him and said do you have a few min's. He said yes. I told him I am not trying to stop a sale here but i just need you to realise what it costs to breed.

So here I go!

1) Purchase the dog $1000.00
2) 2nd set of Shots 3rd set of shots heart guard $400.00
3) Dog food $70.00 per bag the good food per month. $1640.00 calculated at a 2 yr base rate
4) Dog training $600.00 or more for the yr
5) Hip elbow and shoulder pri-limbed $250.00 certified at 2 yrs of age another $300.00
6) Next yrs rabies booster and heart $200.00
So todate there is a total of $4140.00
So now the owner needs to locate a mate for the dog. your not just going to go to just any dog. You have to go to a dog that compliments the dog you already own.
So now the cost rises;
1) Stud service $1000.00 to $1500.00
2) Vet checks on the dog $200.00
3) Dog begins to deliver oops complications arise dog needs a c- section $1500.00 over and above what you have put out.
4) puppy food $100.00 per month x 3 months $300.00
5) puppy dewormer $100.00
6) Puppy shots x 10 $600.00 or more
7) Micro chip or tattoo $400.00 per litter
8) Registrations of pups, $700.00
9) Advertising now most is free but generally its $100.00 per week
So now you have a total of $9440.00 invested into the dog and its litter. Not including the taxes that you need to pay out per dog. You sell the 10 pups for $1000.00 and what have you made for you hard work. your right basically nothing.
This is why many of the dog breeders out there just put two dogs together and see what they can get out of the dogs. Well as stated it is alot more than that. I is about being responsible for the dogs and the dogs you breed. If you can't put the funding into it to do it right then do not do it at all.

Breeding is a form of an art it is about enhancing the quality of the dog and that of the breed. Therefore if your intentions is about making a buck or two then your better of getting a job. I am one that has this feeling. If you want a dog then get it becuase you truly love the dog. If you want to breed then put the money into it. Don't just breed to breed
Just wanted to ask, and I totally agree with you, but what brand of food costs $70 for a bag? I know about good foods and everything and I practically obsess over what food I feed my pets. But I buy a giant bag for $18-25 depending on what I buy and I thought I was spending a lot. I have never even seen a bag of food for $70 just for one bag. Just curious.

I was also wondering, do responsible breeders ever take their dogs to cheaper clinics for their shots? I know of places that give rabies shots for $5. Is there any reason a breeder wouldn't want to save a little money by getting shots done this way?