Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 10-04-2006, 11:11 PM
cindr

Quote:
Originally Posted by otch1 View Post
Hi Bumhouse... great suggestions you've been given. Excellent idea to do work on bite inhibition/the class handout you were offered. Also, keep in mind that he's coming up on the worst part of teething for some pups. (Open mouth and see if you have swollen gums, any bleeding or loose teeth) This can be a deterant for them wanting to chew... it hurts. While uncomfortable, they can also be irritable, during this time. Take a toy you're able to freeze (there are toys designed for this at petstore) and give him this several times per day to ease discomfort. I see you have 11, 9 and 4 year olds! It's very important to include them in the training process, as I'm guessing your pups smart enough to obey you when correcting the mouthing and mounting issue, but he'll then quickly move on down the line to the next in the pecking order. (Kids) It is time for his obedience/puppy classes to start! Good luck!
Point well made; I would have suggested the same.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:43 PM
Show Dog

Smile

I am quite overwhelmed by the response to my question and I truly appreciate all of the input!!

I live in southern New Jersey and although I have several friends with dogs, I don't know any other collie owners except for the "backyard breeder" we got the pup from and I wouldn't seek him out at this point for much of anything. Colt does really well with other dogs and this issue is not a problem - I don't think I have EVER seen him bite another dog!~! I also don't believe this is "bad breeding" because he has so many great qualities. Also he is not fearful of strangers and is quite friendly but he has never even nipped at a person on a walk or anything.

I have had difficulty finding a puppy kindergarten class so far that works with my schedule as I need a weekDAY class. I have three kids and the evening classes just don't fit into the schedule.

Colt lost four teeth over the last two days - he is in pain and I am attributing some of his behavior to this as well as entering adolescence. I plan to get to the store this weekend and look for some freezable toys. The frozen washcloth thing didn't fly - no interest there he much prefers my hands and clothes and has taken to chewing on his crate when he is not in it!! A book I have mentioned frozen carrots - is this safe?

I have never trained a dog before but I KNOW IN MY HEART that this breed is not aggressive and that Colt will most likely grow out of this soon. He is a very headstrong little pup. Which brings me to my next question - how big should he be at 4 months? He only weighs about 12 -13 lbs. The vet says he is healthy but he seems way small to me (looks like a true "mini collie" if there were such a thing).

If anyone knows of a reputable collie breeder near Atlantic City or Ocean City, NJ please let me know.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:46 PM
Show Dog

P.S. Could anyone give me instructions on how to post pictures? I use Shutterfly. Thanks!!
Old 10-05-2006, 08:43 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumhouse View Post
P.S. Could anyone give me instructions on how to post pictures? I use Shutterfly. Thanks!!
Well I am not sure about that website but I know that if you go to PhotoBucket and you upload your pics and then copy the Img and paste it in the post!!!

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l