Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 10-02-2006, 01:58 AM
Big Dog

Question Genetics of intelligence - sire/dam

Does anyone know how 'intelligence' is passed down in dogs?

For example, in humans I read that much of what we call "intelligence" comes with the X Chromosome, so whilst girls get their brains from both their mum and dad, boys get their brainpower primarily from their mothers.

Is there a similar system with canines, do you know?

Thanks,

D.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:55 AM
Active Pup

I'm sure intelligence is partly geneticly determined and I would say that if your statement on how its passed on humans is true, the same probably applies to dogs, since we're both mamals I would guess most genetic information is stored in the same chromosomes for both. But hey I'm no genetics expert, I could be completely wrong!
I do think that what we call intelligence in dogs is mostly achieved by training the dog.

Paula
Old 10-02-2006, 01:22 PM
I Love My Belgian

I often wonder the same thing. My Visa isn't particularily intelligent. She learns quickly, has a mind of her own but still listens well, etc, but I've always found her to be somewhat dense lol. The intelligence of her line has gone down the past two generations because of breeding choices -- Her grandmother, a very intelligent female, was bred to a very doofy dog in order to bring down drive. The resulting puppies were less intelligent than the mother. One of these puppies was later bred to another really doofy dog to bring down drive. The resulting puppies were even less intelligent. Now I have my Visa and her son, and I'd like to breed back into the old lines to bring the intelligence back, even though I will be risking some very high drive puppies.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:42 PM
whatszmatter

aren't belgians supposed to have drive?? Be a working dog??
Old 10-02-2006, 01:48 PM
Sled Dog Guardian

whatszmatter,

Yes, Belgians are supposed to be higher drive working dogs. I hate it when show and pet breeders try and dumb down working breeds to make them better house pets. Buy a breed that already has little to no drive, or the level of drive you want!!!

Member of Dogs Deserve Better & In Defense of Animals & The Humane Society of the United States.
Volunteer for the Sled Dog Action Coalition.
Think the sled dog racing industry is humane? Think again!
Sled Dog Issues - Working Toward a Better Tomorrow.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi
Old 10-02-2006, 02:12 PM
Top Dog

I imagine it's a combination of genetics, upbringing, and environment. I've never heard of brainpower bring primarily an X chromosome thing . . .