Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 10-29-2006, 06:31 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovie View Post
Ok, so I tried everything and to no avail is working. I even got the carpets professionally cleaned and put my cat in the bedroom with hardwoods. He's good unless there is carpet. I let him out for a second and he tried to pee.

Do I have a choice but to put him outside???
Has he been tested for a UTI? That is quite a good possibility, especially if he is on an all dry food diet of low grade food. What do you feed him? There are a load of things you can do to prevent a UTI from reoccurring but you need to find out if that is the problem first.

If that is not the problem, add more boxes, try different litters, keep them spotless, buy Feliway, retrain him by confinement to the bathroom, laundry room, bedroom for awhile. A week or so should do.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:34 AM
Puppy Dog

I am showing him he's important... all the time. He sleeps with me etc. Actually of all the animals he is the spoiled one. He gets a ton of attention. He's just refrusing to use the litter box. You don't understand, I can't have pee smell all over my house. I need help. I love him and believe that something can be done, but what? What else can I do that I'm not already doing?

Yes, tested for UTI, negative. completely healthy
Big cat, 12lbs solid
I have 4 litter boxes and they are all clean, 2 with tops, 2 without. 2 downstairs, 2 upstairs.
Using Feliway in the room that he pees in, doesn't work
Getting Cat attrack litter today. He's in the masterbedroom right now by himself.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:58 AM
roada

Hey, I would get him checked with the vet, but he's probably just pissed off at you. Cats have a funny way about them, I know Binki does. Good luck at the vets
Old 10-30-2006, 10:09 AM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

if you make dads cat mad he will not go in the box, and instead go on your clothes and other things
Old 10-30-2006, 06:42 PM
Quigleyfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loviedovie View Post
I am showing him he's important... all the time. He sleeps with me etc. Actually of all the animals he is the spoiled one. He gets a ton of attention. He's just refrusing to use the litter box. You don't understand, I can't have pee smell all over my house. I need help. I love him and believe that something can be done, but what? What else can I do that I'm not already doing?

Yes, tested for UTI, negative. completely healthy
Big cat, 12lbs solid
I have 4 litter boxes and they are all clean, 2 with tops, 2 without. 2 downstairs, 2 upstairs.
Using Feliway in the room that he pees in, doesn't work
Getting Cat attrack litter today. He's in the masterbedroom right now by himself.
What did they test?

I had a similar problem with one of my cats and it turned out that he had bladder stones and crystals in the urine that were so irritating to him that he was basically crying for help by urinating out of place, his way of showing us something was wrong.

For quite some time I thought it was behavioral and tried to address it that way, but obviously it wouldn't make a difference.

If you let it go for too long, he could also suffer from urinary blockage, which will result in one dead cat if you don't get him to the vet in time.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 10-30-2006, 08:25 PM

I agree with Mordy...something is very wrong. when my daughter's cat wouldn't us his box, it turned out he had a digestive problem. also as mentioned, cats are extremely sensitive to ANY change. some cats get upset if you rearrange the furniture. adding other pets, children, moving...all totally upsetting to a cat. it is a sign of depression. my opinion here, but you can't just put a cat outside and expect the problem to be solved unless you don't plan on it coming back in. it could still choose to eliminate on your carpet. that is not an answer to your problem. I'm curious as to what your vet suggested was the problem?

did you try using the plain clay litter as I suggested? also...have his paws been examined carefully? it may be the litter is irritating him somehow.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:19 PM
Puppy Dog

The vet tested him for UTI and crystals and all was negative. He has had allery issues for quiet some time now but wouldn't be related. He is on omega liquid drops for that. They wanted to do allergy testing but my vet said that all it would do is say he's allergy to dust mites, etc like people are and then I would have to give him shots everyday. He said that his cat has allergies as well and he choose not to put him through all that. Noa, if bored with nibble on himself to where his skin is raw. So hense the omega oil, it's working.

The vet told me to do this. Put him upstairs in the master where there is no carpet all hardwoods and is a farely large room. Put his own litter box, food and water in there and toys, retrain him to the litter box by using kitty Xanac. So today is day 2 of kitty drugging. He doesn't do the peeing on the floor unless it's carpet. Ex: He won't go on the bed, he won't go on anything laying on the floor, just carpet.

I don't want to put him outside. I'm honestly wondering if adopting him to a family with no other animals or just one would be helpful. Maybe he's depressed with all the farm here.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:47 PM
Harumph™©®

The litter box of his own is a good idea, along with the private room. Give him a chance to adapt and give him more attention than the others. He is just feeling a little less loved because of the others. Give it a little time, he needs to sort things out.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:58 PM
Duke's Royalty

I have 4 cats and 1 dog. One day out of the blue my male cat started peeing on the bathroom rug. He was whining and crying while doing it and it ended up being UTI. However, to this day he will pee on the bathroom rug no matter how clean the litter boxes are and the fact that his UTI was 2 years ago. I no longer use a bath rug, I just use a towel and pick it up off the floor. Kitties are finicky and will do whatever it takes to express their feelings. My first cat would not speak to us for three years after we introduced 2 new cats to the house, but now she is fiestier than ever. My guess is he is upset about the new dogs and is letting you know it!! It's not a bad idea to keep him isolated for a little while... But it may end up taking months before he is back to normal. Hang in there!
Old 11-04-2006, 12:26 AM
Mistress Wigglebutt

Sounds like your only option is a private room for him. My Toby used to hate to use a litterbox that my roomie's cats had used. :P He was fine in my own room, with his own litterbox, even when I was gone overnight, except that my roomie was too lazy to clean her own litter boxes so she let Toby out of my room and her cats into mine, and by the time I got home they would have filled up his teeny kitten litterbox and he would have shat on the plastic I had laid out under it. :P

-----
Puppy Whiskers, Callie Dog and my Angel, trimming and watering the grass at Rainbow Bridge while they wait for me.