Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 10-01-2006, 07:40 PM
Puppy Dog

Default My cat is not using the litter box anymore

My 2 1/2 year old male neutured cat is not using the box anymore. I have 4 cats total and it's just him that is a problem. I have 3 box's as well. 2 downstairs and 1 upstairs. They stay clean etc but he's still refusing to use them.

I bought the Feliway today and put it in the room(s) where he's soiling. It's just areas where there are carpet in which is my great room and dinning room. What else can I do? I've heard about putting him up in a bathroom to retrain him but that just seems cruel.

Any suggestions?
Old 10-01-2006, 08:05 PM
Top Dog

Have you taken him to the vet? He could have a urinary tract infection or something of the sort. I would take him to the vet and get him checked out, make sure he doesnt have an infection.

Old 10-01-2006, 08:08 PM
Athletic Labs. They Exist

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoe08 View Post
Have you taken him to the vet? He could have a urinary tract infection or something of the sort. I would take him to the vet and get him checked out, make sure he doesnt have an infection.
That was my first thought. Thats usually the case when a cat that old stops using the litter box. I would call your vet or take him to the vet soon.
Sawyer (2 year old, Labrador Retriever)
Morisson (2 year old, Lab/Beagle)
And aunt to-
Grace
aka my brothers/roommates dog.(1 year old, Lab/Shiba Inu)
Old 10-01-2006, 08:15 PM
Who woulda thought <3

I only can add Ditto
Old 10-01-2006, 08:41 PM
Puppy Dog

I am doing that this week, but I really think it's behavioral. I added 2 dogs in the last few months to the household. He is used to being the baby.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:41 PM
Top Dog

Just remember you should have one box per cat and one extra. I would add another brand new clean box with fresh litter and keep it clean. I would also have him tested for a UTI or crystals. They are more common in males especially males on an all dry food diet. If he does have one, along with the meds, give him extra wet food with water mixed in. Also look for a food with cranbeery extract in it like Chicken Soup fior the Cat Lovers Soul or Premium Edge.

The quality of food you feed effects their health too. What do you feed?
Old 10-01-2006, 10:06 PM
Faint

Just a thought, some cats don't like covered or uncovered litter boxes. Do you have all covered/all uncovered? If you do, you might want to try getting another that's the opposite of what you have now. For example, if you have 3 uncovered litterboxes try getting a covered one. I'm not sure if that's the problem though.

A UTI could also be it...get another litterbox anyway, each cat should have their own and that may be the problem.

Thanks Keyodie!
Old 10-03-2006, 05:25 PM
Puppy Dog

My cats and dogs all eat Nutro. Of course my cats are on indoor nutro weight management... I have 2 "EATERS". I made an appointment today at the vet for the weekend. I will get a new box as well. Thanks
Old 10-03-2006, 05:57 PM
Island dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loviedovie View Post
I am doing that this week, but I really think it's behavioral. I added 2 dogs in the last few months to the household. He is used to being the baby.

That's the key. He's being territorial and may never quite getting over adding the new animals. My first cat never got over the addition of four dogs and three other cats

You should have one litter box for every cat in the house + one extra. So you should have five boxes in your house. Make sure they are clean and you are consistent with the litter. Don't change it or mix it up or anything that will **** him off.

Def. take him to the vet and make sure it's not a UTI or anything.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:52 PM

that's one of the first things a cat will do to let you know they are upset. also, my cat only liked basic clay litter. the new kind that clumps was nicer for me, but my cat rejected it completely. and of course, check for the UTI.