Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-04-2005, 07:48 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I would give anything to have a picture of that little girl...if i raised a child like that i would so proud of me. Her parents were such good people. i had the pleasure of spending every sat morning with quite a number of Amish people that had their businesses going same as me. I became quite ill once and the little girl stepped in and ran my booth. I couldn't get back to tell her i was terribly ill..i couldn't even stand up straight and she just stepped in and did the job. She had heat rash (it gets very hot at city market) and she could have just walked off..i would have understood but she didnt. She had a handicapped little brother and her thoughts were always of finding something that would please him..a suprise since he couldn't come to market with her.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:10 PM
Island dweller

I agree, we can't judge everybody because of the actions of a few. Not the Amish, Christians, dog lovers, ...

I've known a few Amish but more Mennonites. I admire and respect their way of life and have not seen an example of animals being treated cruelly. That's not to say that there isn't. I'm sure there is. There are abusive people of all walks of life. All we can do is judge each circumstance and 'deal' with it.

Agility, your comment was not a fact and it was out-of-line and hurtful to a lot of people. I hope you think about that.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:37 PM
mostly ignored...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliNHunter
Agility, what are Christinas? I have not heard of Christinas and how they've massacred billions of people?
I am a Christina (chris, short for Christina) and I haven't massacred anyone! I'm confused
Old 04-04-2005, 08:47 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnypup
I am a Christina (chris, short for Christina) and I haven't massacred anyone! I'm confused
No doubt... as am I
Old 04-04-2005, 08:51 PM
mostly ignored...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie
I would give anything to have a picture of that little girl...if i raised a child like that i would so proud of me. Her parents were such good people. i had the pleasure of spending every sat morning with quite a number of Amish people that had their businesses going same as me. I became quite ill once and the little girl stepped in and ran my booth. I couldn't get back to tell her i was terribly ill..i couldn't even stand up straight and she just stepped in and did the job. She had heat rash (it gets very hot at city market) and she could have just walked off..i would have understood but she didnt. She had a handicapped little brother and her thoughts were always of finding something that would please him..a suprise since he couldn't come to market with her.
I grew up around these people, and my husband was neighbors to them and went to school with them for years. Such a peaceful people, both amish and mennonites (which I would be if there was a mennonite church anywhere around) they don't believe in divorce, or sending their elders away to be cared for by anyone else, they care for their own. Some of their practices might seem strange to outsiders but mightn't ours seem strange to others too? There are some people who take better care of their dogs then their kids, who get married and divorced 12 times, like each new relationship is some kind of trophy, kill for the sake of killing or because someone said something not so nice about someone else's mother, we preach world peace and then go and throw rotten tomatoes at anyone that doesn't look just like us. The amish and mennonites at least know what they believe and stand for. How many of us can state that so decisively from the time they are children? I used to have the privilage of teaching phys. ed. in a small mennonite school (didn't need a college degree to do so, just a love of kids and sports) some of the nicest, most polite, precious, precocious children I have ever met. I agree with smkie, if I ever had children I would be PROUD to call one of these my own. Values, morals, a black and white/right and wrong attitude about themselves. Smart and dedicated to learning about everything and everyone, not just wasting their lives in front of a t.v. or video game or listening to trash on the radio. They don't believe in war and their hearts were so tender that they cried when they saw a small bird dead in a field. How are we supposed to make the world a better place when whenever someone in a different culture does something abhorable we lable that WHOLE culture with something? We are diverse so we learn from each other, and the thing we aren't supposed to learn, even consider is hate. My least favorite four letter word. I am disgusted that anyone that claims to love animals soooo much could despise another culture for one or two peoples actions. I am sorry , this just hits really really close to home and it makes me angry.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:06 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I read a book about how the young people have a choice to continue the lifeatyle..they are not forced into it when they become adults..and it isn't an easy decision. the book was a novel, and i don't have it anymore for i took it to the thrift store, but i do remember it was well researched.
I told my little helper girl that if she painted a rock and brought it to me i would trade her one of mine for herself. She chose one for her brother..and it wasn't a rock, but a small wooden frog fastened to a stick with a spring. A nicnac that i had picked up at the hobbystore out of the bargin bin and painted for a little something to sell as well. She thought her brother would be able to make the frog wiggle and that he would like that. I would have let her have anything on the table. Her mother had tmj like i do..only hers was not as severe, but still she was going thru a lot of the same symptoms so my girl understood what was happening to me. The lifting and the heat was what triggered the attack to my health. That was the last time i went to city market and when i got home i cried uncle and called the surgeon. Running a booth at downtown city market in Kansas City is no easy job..there are hundreds and hundreds of people. bronki was out there to. She was just a little thing and handled it out there for over an hour. I usually sent her back to check in with her parents every half hour to an hour so i don't know if they came down or not. I do know that she had adult supervision by the vendors on both sides. She didn't even ask them for help..she was amazing.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:08 PM
mostly ignored...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie
I read a book about how the young people have a choice to continue the lifeatyle..they are not forced into it when they become adults..and it isn't an easy decision. the book was a novel, and i don't have it anymore for i took it to the thrift store, but i do remember it was well researched.
not forced but...strongly encouraged? Was the book by someone named Beverly Lewis? She does alot of writing on the amish.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:18 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

i don't remember, i read very fast and devour books by the week..so i end up with a head of stories but don't necessarily remember the author or the title..the story started with a barn burning..and one child was lost trying to save his horse. Does that ring a bell? The parents strongly encouraged...and the story was about how hard it was to enter the the "american culture", the confusion was the main focus of the book. I read it a long time ago..
Old 04-04-2005, 09:23 PM
mostly ignored...

sounds familiar but I tend to be like you and just read the book and forget about anything but the story. If you do ever think of it, just give a yell and I might go pick it up (again? ) Anyway, it is hard to enter "american culture" from living in a small farm community all of your life, amish or not I moved 1 1/2 hrs away from "home" in lancaster pa into a Philly suburb and I am suffering severe shell shock after over a year. I miss my country I miss my amish and mennonites and farms and dogs and fertilizer smell ...okay not so much that but anyway
Old 04-04-2005, 09:51 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I was raised in suburbia, but i still had my woods..and my dad had a two farms. I wake up every morning here to the smell of exhaust. I so wish i was far away from the roar of traffic. At least i still have a mocking bird..when i moved i thought how much i was going to miss my mocking birds and so far here all i have heard is starlings until tonight..and there he was up above my house Yeah!!!! it was dusk and he was singing his heart out. Maybe one day i can be where i belong....far out of this city, but until then..this bird helps make it bearable..have an owl too!