Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-29-2006, 07:40 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

Default two training questions

Ruckus is generally a well behaved dog. He does what I say without any problems about 70% of the time. But sometimes when i am out walking him on his leash he will stop. I say "Ruckus heel" and usually he will come, but sometimes he pulls back, or even lays down. Sometimes he even shakes his head which makes his choke chain tight on him (i know i have to ditch that thing)
What should i do? I dont pull on him because i dont want to choke him. Sometimes he will not budge. So i end up picking him up. and 17lbs isnt very light in my opinion. I baby talk him and entice him with treats, and still he will not budge. But if i pick him up and move him a few feet and set him back down, then he will walk with me.

And now my other problem. He HATES my boyfriend's dad. I live with my boyfriend and his parents, and Ruckus will not even go up the stairs if he is up there. Ruckus will not come anywhere near him, and if he talks Ruckus will jump in my lap for protection. Ruckus is alright with strangers, and so far isnt scared of anyone at all.... but my boyfriends dad. I have set of the sofa with the two of them and Ruckus would freak out. If i am out walking Ruckus to potty and my boyfriend's dad comes home, Ruckus will jump back and pull on the leash. He just completely freaks out.

Leroy (boyfriends dad) is a dog lover. He has a dog of his own and many dogs like him. However Leroy is tall, with a deep voice. He is also very eager to put Ruckus, and touch him. But to me that still doesnt explain why Ruckus is scared of him, Bruce (my boyfriend) is tall with a deep voice too. And many people have approached Ruckus eagerly to pet him, and he doesnt mind.

Should I attempt to get Ruckus to like Leroy? How can I go about doing this?

Thanks in advance for any help, i know i will get some with the great trainers on here
Old 09-29-2006, 09:02 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitsarebetter View Post
And now my other problem. He HATES my boyfriend's dad. I live with my boyfriend and his parents, and Ruckus will not even go up the stairs if he is up there. Ruckus will not come anywhere near him, and if he talks Ruckus will jump in my lap for protection. Ruckus is alright with strangers, and so far isnt scared of anyone at all.... but my boyfriends dad. I have set of the sofa with the two of them and Ruckus would freak out. If i am out walking Ruckus to potty and my boyfriend's dad comes home, Ruckus will jump back and pull on the leash. He just completely freaks out.

Leroy (boyfriends dad) is a dog lover. He has a dog of his own and many dogs like him. However Leroy is tall, with a deep voice. He is also very eager to put Ruckus, and touch him. But to me that still doesnt explain why Ruckus is scared of him, Bruce (my boyfriend) is tall with a deep voice too. And many people have approached Ruckus eagerly to pet him, and he doesnt mind.

Should I attempt to get Ruckus to like Leroy? How can I go about doing this?

Thanks in advance for any help, i know i will get some with the great trainers on here
Well I have an uncle that is sorta the way you described you bf's dad.

Does he smoke??? Has Ruckus been around people that smoke???

I have found with Lizzie that she really does not like poeple that smoke or smell like they have just been doing that and really that is fine with me because I HATE it too.

Also Is he Black??? I have heard of dogs being like that around black people if they have not been around them before??

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 09-29-2006, 09:20 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

no he is not a smoker, nor is he black.
but maybe it is smell. He eats onions like apples and doesnt wear underarm deoderant. so maybe Ruckus doesnt like him because he stinks! I thought that just joking around, but maybe thats why?
Old 09-29-2006, 10:27 PM
Water Junkie

Matbe it is the smell?!?!?!?!

Or maybe it is just him??? You know that dogs sense stuff that we cannot!!!!

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 09-30-2006, 07:23 AM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

well, the is a VERY nice man, and everyone loves him. Even dogs!
however, Ruckus came right up to my boyfriend's brother who is usually drunk, trying to start a fight, and who in generally is a dark mean person. but Ruckus found it in his heart to come up to him for some petting. Although he didn't pet him (he doesn't like dogs much) Ruckus still stayed beside him.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:36 AM
Water Junkie

Like I said dogs sense stuff about people that we cannot!!!

Maybe Ruckus felt he was lonely or some thing?!?!?!!?

l ~Jennifer~ l
Old 10-01-2006, 05:25 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

no other ideas?
Old 10-01-2006, 07:08 PM
Top Dog

Have you tried giving your bf's dad treats to give him. Also tell him to "ignore" ruckus, and give him time to approach him. Most dogs want attention when they arent offered

Old 10-01-2006, 07:39 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

oh yeah, i have been working with them and its slowly getting better.

now its the leash thing i am needing help with, but i havent had a problem with him and the leash in a couple of days.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:27 PM
Rescued Dogs are better

the best thing you can do is establish yourself as the leader. IE, someone who demands cooperation. when he stop, and you stop, you empower him. then the baby talk makes you look weak to the dog. you must provide your dog with leadership before anything else and you will see a change in this behavior. when you start walking, WALK. dont stop until you want to stop. get a pinch collar for walking. people think those things are inhumane, but i can tell you that dogs understand these more than people do. its a natural correction for a dog to be corrected on the neck. he will realize it is in his best interest if he gets a "correction" for stopping and an owner who is strong and confident in their ways.