Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-27-2006, 01:45 PM
Happy

Default Share what you're working on with training...

I thought people might like to just share what sort of training activities/goals you have at the moment. This beautiful fall weather makes it possible to get out and do more, and I find myself with a laundry list of things we're working on.

Some of you may recall me whining about my agility class. It has worked out - it's still exasperating and frustrating, but the difficulty has made me more focused on my dog. We practice jumping at home, and offlead obedience. I really should invest in some weave poles, because she's already pretty good at jumping, and since she's always been willing to go through a window, the tunnels present no real challenge. In class, we practise mostly the 'watch me' focus stuff, then sneak a few practice runs while the others' backs are turned.

In non-agility training, we're working on behaving around horses. We go and watch the riding lessons at the barn where I ride and curiously, despite her motion-reaction behavior with other dogs, she's pretty good around horses.
I spend most of the time watching her and feeding her treats when the horses trot/canter past without her reacting to it. Rest assured I watch her like a hawk for any tenseness so she never gets a chance to scare a horse, I don't take her into the barn or at all near the horses, and the barn owner's okay with us sitting a few feet away from the rail near the outdoor ring.

I was reading a book about herding and got interested in the idea of having my dog take the 'herding instinct test' someday. One of the requirements was that the dog have a reliable distance 'down' so now we're working on that too. She really doesn't understand that one - it's different than anything we've ever done.

And on a more prosaic note, we're working on training me to keep to the feeding/outing schedule. On cool/wet mornings and evenings, my dog refuses to go out, makes herself scarce so you forget it's time, etc., then stealthily utilizes the rug. She's 99.99% housetrained, but reserves the right to keep that last .01% leeway. I love my dog, but sometimes I miss her 110% housetrained predecessor.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:03 PM
Sled Dog Guardian

I attend my forth week of Rally Obedience classes tonight with Arthur. Arthur is trained in traditional obedience and agility, so this has been quite humorous for us!

We're working on a better finish around/behind me. He knows the flip finish, but Rally calls for both.

We're also trying to get down the sign that reads: "STOP. One Step. STOP. Two Steps. STOP. Three Steps." I have been teaching Arthur the command "step," because if I use "heel" he wants to take more than just a couple steps and he ends up forging a little and sitting crooked. He's a very large dog (27" at the shoulder is what his NADAC card says, I believe) and has a big stride, so this is a challenge. I usually use "step" in the conformation ring with other dogs to get them to move their feet into place better. But since Arthur doesn't know it, I figured I could turn a very short heel with an abrupt halt as "step" for him. After we practice it a few times he is DEAD ON, but initially he still forges.

There's one other Siberian in our class, and her owner is just smitten by Arthur's charming personality!

Member of Dogs Deserve Better & In Defense of Animals & The Humane Society of the United States.
Volunteer for the Sled Dog Action Coalition.
Think the sled dog racing industry is humane? Think again!
Sled Dog Issues - Working Toward a Better Tomorrow.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi
Old 09-27-2006, 02:07 PM
Top Dog

Hello! Glad to hear you stuck it out in your agility class. We have horses too and my new dobie pups getting used to all of the activity at my place including the livestock. I was very excited about taking a clients new Irish Terrier pup to work in conformation group last night. He's been with me for 10 days now. Got 2 blocks from building, to train, and he had a terrible "accident" in his crate. Very upset stomach. I had to turn around and go home, hose crate, bathe pup. So, I envy your training day. For me, today, it's spent potty training, pooper scooping the yards and getting the smell out of my car! Lol Next week it's "basics" and conformation training.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:16 PM
Top Dog

With Neva we are working on her not being such a whimp around loud vehicles. She is getting much better, we are walking around busy streets to help desensitize her to the sounds.

With Gunnar we are working on off leash recall. He is reliable except when another dog comes bounding by. He was awesome today though, we have a lovely nature trail two blocks from our house and I decided after a while to let him off leash since he was just dying to keep up with Neva (she doesn't require a leash on nature trails). He was having a blast but when he would get a bit ahead of me he would turn and bound back to me. Anyways, they were about ten feet ahead of me when an offleash golden turns the corner, I just about crapped my pants since Gunnar is dog aggressive lately. I called him and he came right to me! I was so proud! Next time we are going into no-mans land to get off leash time, it's just to stressful thinking about him hurting another dog because of me letting him off leash.

Old 09-27-2006, 02:46 PM
Who woulda thought <3

Chloe and I are working on *Stay* she has it almost
Old 09-27-2006, 02:51 PM
Water Junkie

With Lizzie I am really working on EVERYTHING to make sure she can perform the command/commands that I give her anywhere!!! And that means taking her more places like the park, for a car ride, and other places.

But I am REALLY focusing on the "watch me" command and have her not get as "happy and mean" around other dogs and working on "come" so she will have it down completly. Also I am working with her so she can pass the CGC test.

Also so she will see me and "pack leader". She does now some but I want it so she sees me as this ALL THE TIME!!!!!

And I am trying to do more "fun" things with her. Like taking her out to the park for a walk and meet and greet people, for car rides, and just trying to have fun so she will not be bored and for socializing.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 09-27-2006, 04:25 PM
overdogged

with mushroom we're mostly just working on nice leash manners and not being a jerk around other dogs. he's been so much worse since he was attacked. sigh.

luce and i are working specifically on lateral movements in front and on holding her right paw out on command (this is going to be the "put your right foot in" of the hokey pokey, eventually).

i need to set my weave poles up again. correction: i need to fix my weave poles and THEN set them up again.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 09-27-2006, 08:12 PM
Snow Girl

It''s fall. Fall means cold. Cold means winter. Winter means SLEDDING!!!! LOL

Right now our main focus is getting the boys (and the other dogs) whipped back into tip top shape and sharpening sledding commands so they are ready for when they snow flys and the races start!

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 09-27-2006, 08:47 PM
Are you dead yet?

For Dakota, we're working on an emergency whistle "down", and manners around livestock (no biting, no barking when put in a downstay, no herding without being told to, etc)

I'm also working really hard on getting him to stick his tongue out on command, but so far all I have gotten him to do is lick his chops. He won't stick his tongue out and leave it there, ever. >_< Bummer, too, because I thought that would be such a cute trick.

Ripley has slid back into resource guarding, so we're working on "leave it" and letting me take things from him without getting bitten.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:00 PM
treehugging clicker freak

That does sound like a cute trick RD! I'll have to conjure up a way to teach that to Maddie

Maddie and I are working toward her CGC... she's doing really good! More specifically I'm teaching her to "return" to heel with a hand signal. Its a variation of come, but not only does she have to come, but she has to sit by my side in the heel position. She really likes it; its super funny. She goes to my left side and hops around into a sit in the correct position - looking at me with full attention. I'm starting to love this command - she's heeling a lot better now than she ever has !

I'm attempting to teach Missy that as well. She's not as motivated... I think that she thinks I shouldn't ask her to go in front of me if all I want her to do is return to a heel. She needs more practice with the heeling itself, though. Today we were walking loose leash and she got excited when she saw a cat. Instead of hitting the end of the leash and pulling she bounced around. I was telling her to sit when her big ole head collided with my lower jaw. omg I thought she broke it. I have a lovely bruise... She did sit, though

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o