Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-29-2006, 06:21 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Sorry Dober, but I had to laugh at that one

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverpawz View Post
I'm afraid I don't have any candy left, I ate the last Kit-kat a few minutes ago. But I have plenty of hot cocoa left. It's slowly dissapearing though, so better grab some cyber coco quick!
Sounds good to me!

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 09-29-2006, 06:26 PM
No Sugar Added

Quote:
If I ever scold him harshly, vocally, he looks crushed, absolutely pathetic. So, it's rare that I ever say more than "eh, eh" or "hey! Quit!"
He sounds a lot like my Bear. Such a soft dog, I honestly can't recall ever using a physical collar pop with him. I've placed him plenty when he was younger, and still use verbal corrections on occasion, but he never needed anything more.

I think it's such a joy to come across dogs like these. The ones that think the world really does revolve around you, lol. Although he often makes me feel like a better trainer than I probably am....but, to get a reality check I just have to work my other dogs who think the world revolves around all of us.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:43 PM
Top Dog

Lyric is really one big contradiction. He's easy to train and he can also be difficult. He is dependent and willing in so many ways and yet, many times he's also got a better way to do things which he needs to show me. LOL. I have had to get much more creative with him than I was say, for my Lab and my last GSD. They were not quite so busy. It's like Lyric has things he needs to get to, so can we please get to the point here Mom? I've got a busy schedule He seems to catch on so much more quickly with fewer repitions than the other dogs I've had.....which is a good thing because he can't handle too much repitition all at one time. When we're working on perfecting something, just a little better heel or whatever, he sometimes looks up at me, I swear...it's like, "And your point is????" Then he gets it tidier. "Is this better?" LOL. How's that for anthromophizing?

And then there is Jose. He'll do anything, jump off a bridge for a treat. But I don't spend that much time with the Chi's with training other than basics and a few tricks. I really should spend more time with them. They'd make great little obedience dogs. My back just couldn't take bending down luring them into a heel or giving them treats. There's the drawback of treat training, when you are working with Chihuahuas. And Chulita is already perfect. She even went through my little agility course with luring the first time...absolutely fearless of anything and so excited. I really should do that with her more. She'd have fun. I'm afraid little Jose's luxating patellas couldn't hack all that, although he does all right on hikes, running....maybe a little bit. His knees aren't too bad, but he did have surgery in one, which doesn't appear to be holding too well at all times anymore.

And Toker. That's my son's dog. He is the one who mostly works with her and he mostly does tricks. I work with her very little, but do have to be the one to show her her manners. She's come a long way though since she's been here. She had a few glitches in the manners dept. but over all is a really nice dog....very willing and smart.

Quote:
Sorry Dober, but I had to laugh at that one
LOL.

Last edited by Doberluv; 09-29-2006 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:52 PM

OK, I've digested my cookies...or at least I'm not green anymore, so I'll tell you about how I started training and what I'm doing now. I'll try to keep it brief.

As a child, the only dog I had was a little dachshund named Fritz. I was told he ran away when I was 6, I found out in my 40's that he actually died from eating a tin foil pie plate that my dad gave him his dinner on...no one had the heart..or the guts to tell me.

When I was about 9, my best friends dad ran a school for (dogs) protection training, it later became a Schutzhund school...
Anyway, I spent every day there, looking back I'm sure they wondered if I had parents. I have to say that if there was one thing that I could erase from my memory it would be how my friends dad (a retired police officer), treated these wonderful dogs. All of the dogs were GSD's except 2 and some were so poorly treated that you couldn't get anywhere near them. I hated my friends dad but I couldn't stay away from the dogs.

There were a few dogs that my friend and I would "work with", that were owned by her family and that's where the bug bit...hard.

When I was a teen, I helped a local trainer (comp. obedience and other dog sports), and she was my first mentor. It was at a time when Barbra Woodhouse was "the queen" and every dog wore a choke chain, it was the way things were and I was happily involved in every aspect of her training business. She was strict but kind, and I'm forever indebted to her.

I competed in obedience and agility (with Rumble, our family's giant schnauzer) and other dogs and helped her (my mentors) clients prepare for same for the next 7 or so years.

I ended up through a series of circumstances back in Schutzhund for the next few years but not much had changed with respect to the methods of training and I just didn't have the stomach for it. I quit, with more emotional baggage than I care to elaborate on.

I ended up going back to school and became a chemical engineer, worked for Shell Canada for 11 years and as a private consultant, all the while spending all my evenings and weekends doing training for animal services and our humane society and working at a training facility teaching all levels of classes. I also took kinesiology and bio mechanics and got my fitness certifications (owned The Body Counsel, personal training and fitness consulting during that time....didn't love it..), which served me well later on with Structure and Action testing for dogs. I never dreamed that my engineering and kinesiology would transfer to my dog life, but that's exactly what Structure testing is based on.

I opened my first training business in 1991. I went back to school for animal behavior studies. It was slim pickens at the time and I ended up taking other realated biology stuff as well (primatology, ehology...).
I decided then to focus more on behavior than general training or sport/competition training and offered private in home training along with my multi level classes from then on.

I've attended courses/seminars in both Canada and the States. I think I've followed some of the more well known trainers through their changes in philosophies and have thoroughly enjoyed the ride. I added a few certifications along the way and have learned so much, but I'm still learning every day.

Today, I handle all the behavior training and foster home education (volunteer) for several dog rescue groups and volunteer as well for our wildlife rescue. I do quite a bit of bite investigation and aggression work as well as the normal behavior sessions on an in home private basis and I still teach classes for all levels.

I know I've forgotten some things but I'm zonked and have been typing way too much today.

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Old 09-29-2006, 08:22 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

When I am working with the show collies i cannot have any frustration in my voice at all. or they will completely stand still and do nothing.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:27 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
When I am working with the show collies i cannot have any frustration in my voice at all. or they will completely stand still and do nothing.
Wow. I wish that worked for Lyric!
Old 09-29-2006, 08:36 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

sometimes i find that they will do what i want the whole time if i am constantly baby talking them and telling them how good they are. it works lots better than a stern no. actually a stern no doesnt work at all. like i said, they will just freeze up and not do anything you ask of them
Old 09-30-2006, 12:16 AM
Loves off-leash training!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverpawz View Post
Melanie, I don't have the energy to debate anymore in this thread. Sorry.
That's fine with me .. as far as I'm concerned, there wasn't anything debatable in my post anyway .. *LOL*

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
... just had my sugar-free chocolate ice cream, the closest I get to chocolate these days .. can't have sugar, darn it!
Old 09-30-2006, 09:26 AM
No Sugar Added

Quote:
That's fine with me .. as far as I'm concerned, there wasn't anything debatable in my post anyway .. *LOL*
Oh, there certainly was to me. I just don't want to add another ten pages to this thread...and I'm tired of repeating myself.