Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-29-2005, 05:00 PM
Top Dog

Default Said goodbye to Odie today . . .

My dear sweet Odie was put to sleep today. He was in kidney failure and we agreed with our vet that it was time. My husband and I pet him as he left this world, and we buried him underneath the tree that he used to chase the squirrels under.

Odie was a yellow lab/beagle mix. He looked just like a lab but had the short little beagle legs. He was unique in appearance and in personality. His ears felt just like silk, how I will miss petting those ears. He loved to chase squirrels, though, never to my knowledge ever caught one. When they would run up the tree, Odie would bark and jump in the air - as if he could jump all the way to the top of the tree. He also loved to go for rides with my husband - who was his favorite. He had a passion for snausages. He was the perfect family dog - he loved the kids and watched over them as they grew up. He also loved walking to his "grampa's" house with us and would walk right in the door and go right to cookie cupboard (grampa always kept treats for Odie and Bear there, and Odie knew right where they were) Odie hated to be brushed and when I would try to, he would spin and run like no one's business - we would call him the yellow menace when he did that! He was a great dog.

Thanks for listening. We are missing him so much now, but know that he deserved to go, without too much suffering. It would have been selfish to keep him - he is in a better place now - probably chasing squirrels.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:11 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

hugs for hard times..i know no words that would help how you feel. I am so sorry.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:23 PM
Don't encourage me..

Thinking of you at this very difficult time! Love and Licks Louise and Co.

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Old 03-29-2005, 06:27 PM
Puppy Dog

I'm am so sorry to hear of your loss, I know that had to be a very difficult decision to make. I had to put a dog to sleep before and it is awful Lots of hugs to you.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:35 PM
Island dweller

I'm sorry to hear about this. I know you made the right decision letting Odie go peacefully surrounded by loved ones. Feel free to vent, cry and share stories whenever you want. We're all ears.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:56 PM
Love my pets

Irish, I'm so sorry to hear about Odie. Just reading what you wrote about him made me cry. Always remember he will be in your hearts and memories forever. He's in a special place in doggie heaven with all of our friends.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:12 AM
Felurian

Irish, letting Odie go like that was such a loving, unselfish act. I understand how you miss him so terribly. Think of him playing tag with squirrels now, checking up on you to make sure you're okay, sending you Odie kisses on the spring breeze . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-01-2005, 03:07 PM
Top Dog

Thanks guys, your warmth and support means a lot. Yes, I do believe in heaven for dogs and Odie is there. I think once an animal is truely loved and loves back in return, they have a soul.

Thanks again. You are all kind, caring people.

Irish
Old 04-01-2005, 03:18 PM
Top Dog

Bless you all and Odie. It's sooooooooooo hard to do the right thing sometimes.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:28 PM
Top Dog

I am so sorry to hear about Odie. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers at this difficult time.