Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 09-26-2006, 11:30 PM
Sled Dog Guardian

Cindr, kudos for putting your foot down. And your program sounds wonderful, best of luck.

Member of Dogs Deserve Better & In Defense of Animals & The Humane Society of the United States.
Volunteer for the Sled Dog Action Coalition.
Think the sled dog racing industry is humane? Think again!
Sled Dog Issues - Working Toward a Better Tomorrow.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi
Old 09-26-2006, 11:40 PM
Active Pup

Dang, I did not know I til now that I am a back yard breeder!!! Do I have a date with Satan?
Old 09-26-2006, 11:41 PM
Active Pup

Dang, I did not know til now that I am a back yard breeder!!! Do I have a date with Satan?
Old 09-26-2006, 11:51 PM
cindr

Default back yard breeders

Quote:
Originally Posted by summitview View Post
Cindr, kudos for putting your foot down. And your program sounds wonderful, best of luck.
Thank you for your compliment. I have been so tired and drained from it but you know its about helping others out there that need some structure. The dogs we purchase will be donated to either a Special needs kid or a Police Service in need. So everyone gains from this program. I just need all the freinds I can get right now. So yea thanks again. P.S The guy that called me let his dog have 3 litters back to back not ever considering to give her a rest. So yeah that is why I stated now way to the bump on the log
Old 09-26-2006, 11:54 PM
cindr

Default Puppy millers and back yard breeders

Quote:
Originally Posted by letitride View Post
Dang, I did not know til now that I am a back yard breeder!!! Do I have a date with Satan?
Well you must have a guilty of something if you feel the way you do. So if you and satan want to dance don't let us stop you
Old 09-27-2006, 04:16 AM
Shiba Inu Slave

Quote:
So if you and satan want to dance don't let us stop you
Ooh and let us know what kind of shoes he has!

I bet that SOB has Manolos...it would just figure...

Old 09-27-2006, 08:00 AM
cindr

Default tempertanturm!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempura tantrum View Post
Ooh and let us know what kind of shoes he has!

I bet that SOB has Manolos...it would just figure...
I beleive that you are right that or Huskie x What do you think???????
Old 09-27-2006, 05:28 PM
CASSA

" disagree ...no BYB should have 2 a year ... they shouldn't even have one !"

WhaT i SAID WAS that good breeders such as myself can have 2 litters a year at the same time this is how bitches cycle - together

So I do agree that backyard breeders should not have one litter let alone 2.
But the list on to of thread made it look like good breeders dont have to litters at same time..

Good breeders can handle 2 litters a week or so apart .

Hope i made it more clear my allergies are kicking in bad and head not so clear. Thanks Gempress
Old 09-27-2006, 07:27 PM
Evil Kitty taco eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet molosser View Post
"

Good breeders can handle 2 litters a week or so apart .
UMmm Its quite a task but yes I agree. A good breeder should be able to handle 2 litters at the same time. I prefer if they are spaced out a bit though.

Where am I going? And why am I in this hand basket!!!?
Old 09-27-2006, 09:13 PM
CASSA

Well some breeds only cycle once a year thus if you are on your 3rd generation you have one shot .
Plus when you have 10 deps for pups and you only breed one litter and it dont take - you have issues with the people waiting..

Plus i learned when you are a breeder use it or lose it with the females uterus.
I waited to breed my first bitch till she was 4 for big dogs this was a mistake.
Very hard on her at that age.
So I breed around two and spay around 6... THese are things I did not know until i became a breeder I just assumed everything would be text book does and donts.

And the females cycle about a week apart, my breed in general does not have whelping issues and we have never had fading pups... So as long as they are not born the same week it is easier to focus your time 1x a year on pups vs 2x a year.. BEcause I spend 10 weeks with pups 24-7 no nails no dentist _ no life. So whether it was 1 litter or 2 the pups lose nothing..

And the rest of the year i have to work my adults show my adults and farm chores and maybe some yoga.. Good breeders try to stay active in work and show and need to plan litters around those events.

A good breeder balances all and lives by their choices for the betterment of the dogs vs them, the breed or opinions.

My breed has high pryos this june everyone went into way to early heat cycle and I did not breed them they had pups ( 2) in Dec but all of them got checks for pryos just in case,

Breeding is allot more complicated then all the books ive collected and the seminars ive attended..

Not all issues are black and white . I started out believing all pets should be early spay neuter than 2 things happened neurtering young molosser males turned them into tall skinny dogs and some females got issues with bladder control. Now I require spaying by one year about and neutering much later as a option with a strict penalty for breeding pets. If they spay neuter younger than that I can not be held accountable if history repeats itself.

Then my pick owned males with other people got killed by hunters or hit by cars leaving me in a bind with loss of entire gene pools cause i fixed everyone so young. Plus when you create on line especailly in rare breeds you need to create a line to breed too for your buyers and yourself this can not be done on one litter a year. Otherwise you force others to INBREED when i wont allow that and dont like tight line breeding as well .

So as you can see their are gray areas and as long as the breeder tries thier best and the dogs come first they dont need to be labeled as one or another.

Peace JD