Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 09-26-2006, 08:24 AM
Top Dog

Default reccomend any wolf-dog or wolf looking dog breeders

I've been researching sibes, malamutes, wolf mixes, wolfdog for quite a while now. I was wondering if anyone could reccomend a specific breeder? I've also read about utonagans. I've also talked to a breeder, his kennel is wolfhaugen and he breeds extremely high content wolf-dogs for temperament.

ps. please stay on topic so the thread doesn't get closed.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:38 AM
Top Dog

Tell me, what temprement would that be? Shy, reclusive, distrusting of people, destructive, den building wild dogs? No one should breed these animals, as beatiful as they are. It is not a good idea, wolves are not pets. So I could not recommend any breeder to anyone, they are irresponsible in my opionion. But good luck with you search and I hope you find what you are looking for.

I would definately rather go for a dog that looks more wolfish and not a wolf mix.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:57 AM
Top Dog

I would go with a husky or malamute. Wolves do not make good pets and the poor things should be left alone.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:09 AM
Top Dog

thanks, I was leaning away from a wolfmix, but you 2 confirmed it. Does anyone know any good husky or malamute breeders?

the utonagan is a new breed, bred to look like a wolf and this is a breeder i've been looking at. http://www.twatha-utonagan.com/

I know someone on here has a wolf-dog, if that person sees this thread, what is it like?

Last edited by Aurora171989; 09-26-2006 at 09:12 AM. Reason: edited to add something
Old 09-26-2006, 09:37 AM
treehugging clicker freak

If anyone truely truely wants a wolf dog, I'd 100% recomend rescueing, because I don't think I could ever trust any breeder who crosses them

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 09-26-2006, 09:47 AM
Walks into Mordor

I don't know of any husky or malamute breeders, but try checking out some dog shows in your area. That's a great place to meet good breeders. And be sure to educate yourself on the difference between backyard breeders and reputable breeders before you go looking.

My last dog was part wolf. It was such a heartbreaking experience. Every negative wolfdog quality they warn you about, he had...horrible shyness, fear aggression, food aggression, severe dominancy issues....I eventually had to have him put to sleep. It was the hardest thing I ever had to do, because I loved him so much despite his issues.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:50 AM
bullie lover

I just recently saw a german shepherd husky mix that looked very wolfish... I actually stopped in the middle of my walk and stared at him (but not in his eyes) and asked the 3 guys who had him what he was.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:17 AM
Top Dog

I agree with the other posts. A wolf is not a beneficial thing and add nothing good to the mix as a pet. They are not domestic and not adapted to be with people. Even when taken from a young pup, these animals are extremely difficult to tame. Please don't consider anything with wolf in it. I agree that it is immoral to mess with wild animals.

I also recommend that you don't go by the look of a dog, but by it's temperament and how it fits into your life style. So many people get working dogs because of their size or looks and they end up being too much dog.....to much energy and the dogs become easily bored, destructive and there are big problems. I think a mutt or some other breed to fit your life style would be the best. You can research online about various breeds and learn all you can about raising and training a pup first.

Good luck.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:21 AM
Top Dog

thank you for the advice and thanks for staying on topic.
the utonagan has absolutely no wolf in it. It was created with a combination of husky, malamute, and german shepherd. I've decided to get one of the northern breeds as the utonagan is still in the uk.

i now give this thread to whoever wants to chat on it lol

Last edited by Aurora171989; 09-26-2006 at 10:23 AM. Reason: selling error
Old 09-26-2006, 10:50 AM
CASSA

I had a Wolf Hybird Named Nikko due to severe inbreeding he had no spine and had to be put down by age 1 after a summer of calcium shots ..

They are wild dogs and need special care he could scale any thing, howled and yipped no barking.

Was a horrible watch dog would run and hide when something spooked him.
On leash due to allot of work he was fine and not aggressive.............

He needed a special diet and when he got sick ( father x daughter breeding)
the Vets advice was for a dog not for a wolf his advice helped kill him quicker.

My advice is to get aq LONG ccoated GSD from non show lines working lines they look very wolfish........

Here is my Nikko may he rest in peace his ashes will go with me .

http://www.casdog.com/photopost/data/500/mevinnikko.jpg

SO I got CAS that have wolf colors but not wolf features.
Big boned mastiff type dogs with crop-dock and some have wolf colors
Here is what I mean.
http://www.casdog.com/photopost/data/670/1aligets2.jpg
Dog is picture is a UKC CHampion CGC TDI ATTS FCI Tan she is after a fox thus the mean look she is also a demo dog for schools.

So I understand the want they are stunning animals just not pets

Last edited by planet molosser; 09-26-2006 at 10:54 AM. Reason: spelling