Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-25-2006, 03:53 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

Default biting out of exitement

On of the dogs at the kennel is a biter! His name is Knave and he is a six month old collie. Since he was a couple months old he has always bit me. He takes him front teeth and bites and holds on to your skin. He gets in very sensitive spots like under your butt, your thigh, the bend of your knee, your elbow, and worst of all the palm of your hand. I have always grabbed his mouth and said "no Knave! no bite" and he still doesnt stop to this day. And i have been doing that for months. I have also tried ignoring him, and yelping. He is starting to break blood and it is really painful!!!!
He only does it when he is exited. After he is calmed down he doesnt do it anymore. This is one of my favorite dogs because he has loads of fun personality. but this is NOT fun and it needs to stop pronto!
Old 09-25-2006, 05:36 PM
Top Dog

Welcome to the world of the herding breed!

My German Shepherd would do that too if I let him. What I have to do is take control when he starts to get fired up. I just came back from 3 days away, what do you think that scene was like- the person that gives him 99% of his training and attention was gone, and he was stuck with my college age daughter who is gone 18 hours a day. Saying he was fired up when I walked in the door is an understatement. What works for me is to make him do a sit or lay down and stay. If your guy doesn't know that, it's time to teach him! Then you are in control of the situation and have his attention. It will take some time but with patience it will work. Try leaving a drag line on him so if he starts to jump and nip you can get him to lay down and then step on the line so he can't move. He'll soon realize that as long as he is acting inappropriately, he won't get his reward of attention and petting.

I never understood the yelping thing. To me all that does is lets the dog know he's dominant over you. It might work on some dogs but herders by nature are mouthy, it's part of their job. I don't mind if Gunnar mouths my arm when he's excited, he never does it hard and it's how he likes to play, but I'm quick to stop him if he goes too hard. I don't think that the ignoring thing is always good for a big dog either, by the time you are done ignoring you are all scratched up if the dog is rowdy. What was better for me was a physical restraint- grab the collar, put him in a down, and make him stay. Once he's calm, then release him. Again, what works for one dog may not work for another.

Be patient, and be in charge!
Old 09-25-2006, 05:39 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

Thank you! I will give that a try