Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-25-2006, 10:37 AM
Happy

Default Was your breed choice inspired by a book/movie/etc?

I was recently charmed by the Cavalier King Charles Spaniels in a film, and started wondering how many people can trace their choice of a dog straight back to a work of fiction. Personally, I read all of Albert Payson Terhune's collie books as a kid, and still can't shake their influence - two of my three dogs have been collies. I've known a couple of people who went into Irish Setters as a result of reading Jim Kjelgaard's "Big Red." And it's very clear to me that the current craze for Great Danes started roughly around the release of "Schindler's List," which featured two harlequin Danes in a rather unpleasant role. I was impressed by the dogs; apparently, so were a lot of people.

So, anyone else?
Old 09-25-2006, 11:33 AM
Twin 2.0

I can't really think of anything written that features Aussies, so I guess not. Although now that I think of it, "Spike of Swift River" featured a shepherd, probably German, but it never specified as Spike was a mutt, so that may have had something to do with it.

The Kjelgaard books did make me consider Setters at one point, but I read more and met a few and decided they weren't for me.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:43 AM
Walks into Mordor

Actually, I was never really influenced by fiction books/movies.

One of my favorite dog books when I was growing up was Old Yeller. After I adopted Zeus, I found out that Old Yeller was a blackmouth cur. Funny!
Old 09-25-2006, 11:59 AM
Dog Crazy

what film was the cavalier in? i havent seen a film with cavaliers are in.
i researched this breed in books, and seen some in real life.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:43 PM
Felurian

No. I just always had a "thing" for German Shepherds, and the Filas were, after much research into guardian dogs and herding dogs, the perfect fit for the farm.

I HOPE no one ever makes a movie about Filas!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 09-25-2006, 12:49 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Well...In my life I've had my share of dogs, (Labs, a Golden, a Siberian Husky, a Beagle, a Border Collie, a Flat Coat Retriever, Silky Terriers, and a Yorkie, and I did get Chewy (my Border) because I saw the movie 'Babe'. lol! I also wanted to name my Beagle Shiloh, but she was a girl, so we named her Dasha (I was like 6, I don't even know where I got the name...???) but we didn't plan on getting her, she was a 'Walmart Special'. I got straight A's all year, and my dad said I could get ANYTHING at Walmart, so I looked, and looked, but didn't find what I wanted, so I was upset (in tears lol) and we walked outside, and there was little Dasha in a box that said 'Free Puppy.' I looked up at my dad and said 'we're still at walmart' and he couldn't refuse. But the only dog that really 'inspired' me to get one of that certai breed were the little Border pups in 'Babe' they were SO cute! lol! But all of our other dogs besides our Husky, and our Yorkie were spur of the Moment things. We researched before getting our Husky, and I REALLY did my research before we got Dixie(Yorkie). Great Idea for a topic by the way. Some one should make one 'What inspired you to get your breed?'

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 09-25-2006, 02:01 PM
Kiss&Tell

The Hound of the Baskervilles.. lol

There's an Irish Wolfhound in the story and he's mean... bad descriptions of IW's.. lol
My page: http://www.myspace.com/irishdancer2
Old 09-25-2006, 03:05 PM
Mistress Wigglebutt

I don't know what the choice behind our doberman when I was a kid was.... they got her as a pup shortly before I was born and she and I grew up together. I believe that choice may have been influenced by my mom's dog, Star, whom I have deducted from some blurry old photographs was some kind of doberman mix. We tried again with a dobie when I was 10 but she got aggressive with my toddler sister (who was encouraged by the next door neighbor to bite her back when she puppy-chewed, so Shay was biting large flaps of loose skin on Rosie that she lifted up off her back and the dog got aggressive)....

Not sure why we had a sheltie either.

Then the danes sorta just fell into our laps. We had a friend in Maine that sent a litter over two at a time for us to sell for her and Sarah came with the first pair and she just sorta... stayed. I'd love to have another dane but don't forsee it in my future at the farm until I build on my part of the property and that won't be for a while!!

The mini aussies were mom's idea and... well!

-----
Puppy Whiskers, Callie Dog and my Angel, trimming and watering the grass at Rainbow Bridge while they wait for me.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:09 PM
Golden Love

Yes, I've loved Golden Retriever since I was very, very young. This is thanks to the MANY shows that Goldens were featured on. I'm drawing a blank as to names of movies/shows but I do know they influenced me when I was young. I do remember that Air Bud, Homeward Bound are two of them that came out later that helped my love of Goldens Develop.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
- Mark Twain

Life is like a dog sled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes.
-Lewis Grizzard

Old 09-25-2006, 05:47 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyIrishWolfie View Post
The Hound of the Baskervilles.. lol

There's an Irish Wolfhound in the story and he's mean... bad descriptions of IW's.. lol
The Hound isn't really specified as to breed in the story, Irish There has been all sorts of speculation about different breeds and mixes . . . even some theories that it describes a Fila, since at that time, one of their jobs was to retrieve runaway slaves and fugitives. That is all speculation and the dog is probably an amalgam of several different breeds - and bad dreams - from the imagination of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, since one of the reasons the Fila was so prized for that particular job is because unless the unfortunate quarry fought back, the nature of the Fila is to hold without harming. And, as you know so well, the Irish Wolfhound is a gentle creature with humans

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian