Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 09-24-2006, 08:44 PM
Top Dog

There's no reason NOT to spay and neuter if you aren't a breeder . I do feel females are more important than males ( if they are never loose ). Why put up with a female's heat twice a year for 8 weeks ! .. I don't know where I stand on the health issues .......if that was the case , we females should have breasts and uterus removed after we have our families. As for men ???? HMMMMMMMMMMMM .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 09-24-2006, 09:17 PM
Top Dog

Yeah, but unlike dogs, human females live in a society where appearances are important and we have an emotional attachment to how we look. Note that wisdom teeth and tonsils, which no one can see from the outside (or cares about) often ARE removed before they start trouble.

Also, I know plenty of people who have had hysterectomies either after they've passed childbearing age or because they don't intend to have children.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:33 PM
Are you dead yet?

I get miffed at people looking down on me for owning an intact dog. My dog, my choice. My intact dog does not bother anybody. He is not a humper. He is not pushy or hormonal. He does some typical intact male things (marks new territory, but only outdoors. sniffs at everything, etc.) but that doesn't bother me much. He usually stops when I tell him to.

If he plays with a female dog over 6 months old, I ALWAYS ask if she has been spayed. If not, no play. I don't let him play with other intact males that I do not know well. I DO let him offlead in parks. He doesn't bother anyone else's dogs, because he is so focused on his game of frisbee or doing some obedience work. Besides that, I have never seen anyone foolish enough to bring their bitch in season to the dog park and let her go.

I'm involved in training rescue dogs. I KNOW what irresponsible ownership causes. All the more reason for me to be responsible with my intact dog. I've had him for 2 years and he's never run away. He has gotten out of the yard, yes, but he knows how to come when called. If he was the type to bolt and run away the instant a door or gate swung open, he would be gated off into only certain rooms of the house like my Papillon (who WILL bolt and run) is.

He may be neutered in the future. He may not. If he needs to go under anesthesia for any reason, I would consider it. If not, why bother? It's not a huge deal to me and it won't make a big difference in my dog or the way I contain him.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:18 PM
Fluffy Corgi Addict

Shippo is having his "jewels" removed next month... I should start a countdown clock. I can't wait! I don't want to have to worry about whether or not he'll impregnate some random dog. I can't take him to doggy daycare because he is intact. Neutering will help calm him down, although I'm aware that age as well as training also plays a role. I am pro-spay and neuter, simply because there is such a bad overpopulation problem here in the US. I think we need to cut down instead of adding to the surplus.

Eevee
13-year-old F Border Collie Mix - My Heart Dog!
Ravinel Fox Magick, CGC (Shippo)
8-year-old M Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Cheetah's Training Blog
Old 09-24-2006, 11:26 PM
Top Dog

RD ... that's your choice. The only male I had neutered ( until my 2 rescues that came neutered ) was my 13 year old Rufus who developed testicular cancer .Luckily he lived to almost 17 . Had I know better then , I would have had him neutered when his stud days were over at 10 yrs. old.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 09-25-2006, 02:27 PM
Rescue Ranger

Being in rescue, I have seen the need for spay/neuter first hand...there are so many animals that end up euthanized and a large number of them are puppies and kittens...I know that everyone gets tired of hearing about it so I won't beat a dead horse...however, being in dog rescue, especially senior dog rescue, I have experienced the negative health effects of not altering...I am currently going through a case of breast cancer with a senior female...we are waiting to see if it has spread to the lungs...it has been scientifically proven that alteration done before the first heat cycle reduces the occurence of breast cancer in females...I am also dealing with a male that has cancer in the anal region...my vet told me that had he been altered earlier in life, the chances of him aquiring it would have been greatly reduced...REDUCED mind you, some altered animals still get sick...however, these are horrible diseases and I would not wish them on anyone...If you would look into the eys of these little guys and see what I have to deal with on a daily basis, you might agree that alteration is worth a shot if there is even a remote chance of preventing it...I am committed to alteration 100%. Every dog or cat that comes to live with me is altered, regardless of age. One more swift kick to the dead horse...I can tell you that working in a shelter and watching good animals die simply because there are not enough homes changes one's perspective about many things... I would highly recommend that everyone spend some time volunteering...not only is the need great, it is a very educational expereince. Stepping off soap box now...
Old 09-25-2006, 02:43 PM
Top Dog

Wow- I think vets that say spay or neuter or else at six months are bad vets.If people look dumb to me(I'm being honest) I say spay and neuter at six months-but thats nto for the health of the dog thats so they don't ahve pups. If someone seems responcible I always say to wait till the dog is fully mature.

Byrons six now by the way-gizzy wasn't altered till she was five-were are all these puppies I must have running around?

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 09-26-2006, 03:16 AM
Top Dog

Hello seniorpetlover... thank you for moving over to share that soapbox! lol I agree, until you've worked in rescue, dealt with the overload in city/county animal controls, most people have no idea of how staggering the number of euthanasias are. I believe when we talk about spaying or neutering strictly to control over population, this is done with the "irresponsible" pet owner in mind. (And most of us do not consider ourselves to be in that category) Think of the posts on this site, some of you have had passionate responses to. The Chihuahua owner who let his female be bred at 8 months of age. Another who was breeding a questionable line of Labradors. Yet another who didn't know what a tie was during mating. (God help him should he have to help deliver that litter at 3 am.) I saw these posts in just my first week on this site. There are alot of owners who are breeding their dogs, simply because they're intact, their breeder didn't make them sign a "pet" spay/neuter contract at purchase and they think they have a nice dog... with really no other good reason for breeding it than that. There is no reason to breed a pet. Bottom line. Own an intact dog? Sure, if you're confident you're acting in it's best interest for health reasons and keeping it properly confined. I have dealt with cancer in both my intact and altered animals, so that's a questionable debate. For the majority of dog owners I meet through my training program, I encourage them to alter as soon as it's an appropriate age. Some students have then had issue with that, when they come to see me at a show and I'm leaning on a stack of crates and x-pen with unaltered dogs. "If their dog can, why not mine?" It's difficult to tell a pet owner "leave it to the pros, their years of experience and research into developing and improving their breed". To my pet owners/students, their dogs are just as much a "star" in their eyes as the show dogs I also handle. I simply hope they find another avenue to let them 'shine in"... one other than breeding them.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:37 AM
Ruled by a RED boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by otch1 View Post
Hello seniorpetlover... thank you for moving over to share that soapbox! lol I agree, until you've worked in rescue, dealt with the overload in city/county animal controls, most people have no idea of how staggering the number of euthanasias are. I believe when we talk about spaying or neutering strictly to control over population, this is done with the "irresponsible" pet owner in mind. (And most of us do not consider ourselves to be in that category) Think of the posts on this site, some of you have had passionate responses to. The Chihuahua owner who let his female be bred at 8 months of age. Another who was breeding a questionable line of Labradors. Yet another who didn't know what a tie was during mating. (God help him should he have to help deliver that litter at 3 am.) I saw these posts in just my first week on this site. There are alot of owners who are breeding their dogs, simply because they're intact, their breeder didn't make them sign a "pet" spay/neuter contract at purchase and they think they have a nice dog... with really no other good reason for breeding it than that. There is no reason to breed a pet. Bottom line. Own an intact dog? Sure, if you're confident you're acting in it's best interest for health reasons and keeping it properly confined. I have dealt with cancer in both my intact and altered animals, so that's a questionable debate. For the majority of dog owners I meet through my training program, I encourage them to alter as soon as it's an appropriate age. Some students have then had issue with that, when they come to see me at a show and I'm leaning on a stack of crates and x-pen with unaltered dogs. "If their dog can, why not mine?" It's difficult to tell a pet owner "leave it to the pros, their years of experience and research into developing and improving their breed". To my pet owners/students, their dogs are just as much a "star" in their eyes as the show dogs I also handle. I simply hope they find another avenue to let them 'shine in"... one other than breeding them.
Excellent post!
Old 09-26-2006, 08:15 AM
Top Dog

Personally, if I had a male, who was of show quality, tested and finnished, I would not alter him until about 7-10 years of age. I will always alter any female in my home and I will alter her at 6 months of age.

If I got a pet quality male, he would be altered at 2 years and not let out of my sight at all until he was altered. I think males should be afforded the opportunity to develop and grow with the help of testosterone.

If I got a mixed breed male he would come altered from the shelter, so not my problem.