Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-24-2006, 11:16 AM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

Cheetah, Ruckus is 17lbs

Herschel, I took the paper up as of last night and I am not bringing it back out. This morning after I took him out of the crate we were outside for an hour and a half before he went pee. When he went pee I praised him and gave him some cheese. His tail was wagging and he was very happy with that. I know that accidents are 100% my fault. I am a strong believe that anything a dog does wrong is its owner/trainers fault. I am sure you can imagine how hard it is to watch him every second along with two rabbits (not caged, house trained) and just general distractions through out the day, such as getting the phone, answering the door, when I go to the bathroom, etc etc.
I have talked to my boyfriend (I live with him, been dating for nearly six years) and he said that he is going to start watching him better also. He wasn't taking responsibility for the dog because he didn't really want me to have it in the first place, but he is starting to get attached. Thank goodness because its so much easier for me if he is willing to help.
As I am typing this right now Ruckus is sleeping.

Thanks for the help everyone. I just need to be consistent (and I am now) and have more patience
Old 09-24-2006, 11:55 AM
BusterLove

maybe he is uncomforatbel outside. it isn't where he spends most his time. when he DOES go outside praise him. and et excited for him. when he is about to go inside. make sure you atleast tell him off. speak gruflly or soemthing so he makes the connection between misbeahaving and pooing/peeing inside

Old 09-24-2006, 11:59 AM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

He just wants to play outside and wait until we get indoors to potty. This morning i took him to the middle of the yard and just stood there until he went potty. There was nothing for him to play with.

If I walk him until he goes potty he will not potty. He will play with leafs, chase bugs, etc.

He is comfortable outside, he just thinks its play time, not potty time. after he went potty this morning I let him play outside for a while as a reward
Old 09-24-2006, 12:02 PM
BusterLove

lol. ok. i only read you first post then answered. so sorry for whatever i got wrong.

btw. ruckus is a beautiful dog.
and i love your rabbits. i have one littel girl. buster killed my other rabbit so i gotta get her a friend. wish i could leave her out in the house. except with four dogs (2 working dogs, a terrier and a american bulldog mix) its not exactly rabbit friendly.

Old 09-24-2006, 12:06 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

Ruckus loves the bunnies! One of them he will lay next to and nap.
I should get a pic for ya! Thanks for the compliments. Sorry about your other bunny! Thats awful. You cannot blame the dogs, its just instinct, but that would totally crush me
Old 09-24-2006, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitsarebetter View Post
He just wants to play outside and wait until we get indoors to potty. This morning i took him to the middle of the yard and just stood there until he went potty. There was nothing for him to play with.

If I walk him until he goes potty he will not potty. He will play with leafs, chase bugs, etc.

He is comfortable outside, he just thinks its play time, not potty time. after he went potty this morning I let him play outside for a while as a reward
When housetraining your dog, potty time outside should ALWAYS be on leash. When you take him out ON LEASH, say your verbal cue..."go potty" or whatever, and make his potty attempts short 5-10 minutes. If he doesn't go outside, bring him in and crate him again or teather him to you until you try again (every 15 minutes or so) until he goes. Of course wait until he's done and then praise and treat. An untrained puppy should only be either crated (when you can't watch him or teather him), teathered (so you can watch for body language for signs he needs to "go"), right in front of you (while your playing together and he's empty), or ourside (on leash for a potty break).
Any puppy, if given freedom indoors, will have "accidents". He's simply too young for unsupervised freedome of any kind.
general rules about crating - Day time (only crate an EMPTY puppy for 1 hour per month of age) otherwise, teather....
Do you schedule feed your pup? What is his feeding schedule?

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Old 09-24-2006, 12:15 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

Ruckus is Always on leash. our yard isnt fenced and we live on the main highway. He is also never unsupervised indoors, unless i have to grab the phone, answer the door etc, thats when he wants to potty inside.

He is crate trained, he eats at noon
Old 09-24-2006, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitsarebetter View Post
Ruckus is Always on leash. our yard isnt fenced and we live on the main highway. He is also never unsupervised indoors, unless i have to grab the phone, answer the door etc, thats when he wants to potty inside.

He is crate trained, he eats at noon
I would maybe just shorten his outdoor potty breaks then so he gets the idea of business first...play later. And grabbing the phone and answering the door is of course long enough, unless he's crated or teathered. Great that he's not free fed. The schedule will help you to predict his potty needs. Do you keep a potty log, so that you're always certain of when he went last and what he did?

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Old 09-24-2006, 12:27 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

Last night I started my potty log.
I think I am getting on the right track now. Sometimes it takes me a couple of days to get serious about something. I am serious about housebreaking him now.

Thanks again for everyone else. There are so many helpful people on this forum!
Old 09-25-2006, 02:39 PM
Puppy Dog

Having his business on cue really helps me when the dog seems to want to sniff around and play -- I remind him what we're out there for.

If he gets his business done quickly, I praise him and then run excitedly back to the house and his little bag of treats.

This way he gets the picture that we're outside just for pottying, and the faster we get done, the sooner he can get treats. If he tries to go inside before he's finished pottying (has gone #1 but not #2 or vice versa) I have each one on a separate cue. He starts heading for the door, but I'm still standing in the yard. After a few minutes he peeks around the corner to see why I haven't followed him. I remind him to "go potty" or "go poo" and he usually gives me a little "oh okay" grunt and gets to work.