Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-21-2006, 09:22 PM
Ruled by a RED boy!

Come on though seriously I have worked with dogs for 14 years and I have seen some very relaxed intact males and some very horny and ill-mannered ones. Sounds like you are going to have alot on your hands with this little guy How old are your kids? Does he try to mount them? When you say he is already aggressive how so? Think of this to, if that dog ever gets out of the yard he is going to follow his nose and most likely end up getting hit by a car. Intact dogs have a higher chance of getting killed by cars because they wander after the smells of a female in season and there brains are'nt in there heads. I hope you consider fixing him because you will have a much better family pet and he will be more in tune to you than the bitch down the street
Old 09-21-2006, 09:24 PM
Ruled by a RED boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brattina88 View Post
It's different for dogs than it is humans. Neutering won't automatically fix behavior problems like aggression, being territorial, ect... Because those are learned and are considered a habit. But it will help the females in heat thing, among other things...
Remember though Brattina, he is only a year old so if it is done soon it may help alot more than we think and now is better than later because the older he gets the more aggressive, ill-mannered, and unruly he may become .
Old 09-21-2006, 09:33 PM

There are really no reasonable arguements for leaving your weiner (dachshund) intact....hehe..get it...weiner..intact..

Seriously though, can you imagine the frustration of being all hot and bothered with no outlet. You're not going to breed him....and the poor guy has no opposable thumbs.....best to snip him.

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Old 09-21-2006, 09:37 PM
Big Dog

Whats the procedure now since he's a year old? Is the recovery longer for him? are their any significant health risks involved with performing the surgery? etc....

My wife was ALL for it (the snip) and I said NO! --- She's here beside me right now hitting me as I type. and we read together....

I feel bad for him... I don't know how many of you have every been through this - what we're going through with him right now... But seriously, its like something you'd see on an HBO special or something--about drug addicts needing a fix or whatever.... I mean he's just going NUTZ (no phun intended) to get out that door....

Want to see a Video of Stogie? Click his picture
Old 09-21-2006, 09:40 PM
Top Dog

Recovery for males isn't that bad . . . The vet will probably put him on some pain medication afterwards. I really recommend it . . . It MIGHT not help with aggression, pee-marking, etc . . . but then again it might. One of my co-workers had two male chihuahuas who kept marking her chairs and after she got them neutered it stopped, even though they were over a year old.

It's too bad you didn't get it done earlier, though . . . My kitty-boys were snipped at eight weeks old and they were playing and running around the next day like nothing had happened!
Old 09-21-2006, 09:41 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2little View Post
There are really no reasonable arguements for leaving your weiner (dachshund) intact....hehe..get it...weiner..intact..

Seriously though, can you imagine the frustration of being all hot and bothered with no outlet. You're not going to breed him....and the poor guy has no opposable thumbs.....best to snip him.
OMG! I'm thankful I wasn't drinking anything when I read that!!!!

Last one, then we're move on to serious land.

Want to see a Video of Stogie? Click his picture
Old 09-21-2006, 09:44 PM
Ruled by a RED boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster View Post
Whats the procedure now since he's a year old? Is the recovery longer for him? are their any significant health risks involved with performing the surgery? etc....

My wife was ALL for it (the snip) and I said NO! --- She's here beside me right now hitting me as I type. and we read together....

I feel bad for him... I don't know how many of you have every been through this - what we're going through with him right now... But seriously, its like something you'd see on an HBO special or something--about drug addicts needing a fix or whatever.... I mean he's just going NUTZ (no phun intended) to get out that door....
He wil be fine, No need to worry. I know your dogs are like your kids and you don't like to see them hurting. I have had many dogs/cats spayed and neutered and they come out fine and good luck trying to keep them quiet after. They act like nothing even happened to them. I love when my vet tells me to keep my dog/cat quiet for a week or more. Yeah right! Jumping around playing just as they always do. Stogie will be fine and he is still very young so it won't phase him in the least. Have you talked to your vet about it?
Old 09-21-2006, 09:46 PM
Ruled by a RED boy!

Quote:
OMG! I'm thankful I wasn't drinking anything when I read that!!!!

Last one, then we're move on to serious land.

LOL! Put that thing AWAY! *blushes*
Old 09-21-2006, 09:50 PM

Quote:
OMG! I'm thankful I wasn't drinking anything when I read that!!!! Last one, then we're move on to serious land.

OMG...LMFAO

One of my little guys was taken from a nutcase breeder when he was 16 months old. I was in the OR during his surgery and I assure you, he too was packing.
You may want to squinch and grab yourself when you read this next bit but........it was so quick, just like shucking peas. A tiny incision, and pop..pop..it was all done. He was fully recoverd in no time and the only lasting effects were positive. No more marking or minor aggressive behaviors...but that's not always the case.
Anyway, it's really very minor and a very kind thing to do for your....weiner....dog.

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Old 09-21-2006, 10:28 PM
treehugging clicker freak

the puns in this thread are cracking me up!!! :lol:

Just about every owner gets very worried, ect, before they take the dog to the appt... but once we get over it, we realize the dogs were over it a long time ago. I've never met anyone who regrets spaying or neutering their dog