Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-21-2006, 08:52 PM
Big Dog

Default Why is my male Dachshund HOWLING at the door?

I cant figure this out.... and its got me worried because of how he's acting.

I have a mini dox.. its a male, he's not fixed - he's got all his parts... He's small about 8 lbs, and 1 year old. The last 4 days now he's been HOWLING to go outside. Scratching at the door, howling, whimpering, just generally FREAKING out to get outside! Regardless of if we stay outside for 5 minutes or an hour... ITS NOT ENOUGH.. He wants out.

While he's outside he's a nervous wreck. He's sniffing all over the place, scratching the ground... he goes to one area in particular, but honestly he'll go anywhere. These "tantrums" to go outside are NOT bathroom related... He doesn't want to pee or poop.. he just wants outside. Now, for those who have never heard a hound howl, its cute the first few times - but not 24/7 for 4 days!

I've been trying to house train this dog for 1 year now, and trust me - if I could get him to be this "vocal" about going outside to pee or poop... OH MAN! How great would that be!??? TRUST ME... This is NOT bathroom related whatsoever.

When we hold him, he's shaking - like he's cold... We live in North Texas... We're enjoying our 90 degree days here like CRAZY! We had a 100/102+ summer almost every day of summer! TRUST ME, ITS NOT COLD...I think its nervousness to get outside (like and addict). while we're watching tv, he'll go up and down to the door... come and jump all over one of us, whine, bark and even howl at us and then run back to the door - as if to say PLEASE TAKE ME OUT PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....

Someone in the general dog forum said his Dox does this if there's something out there that the dog wants to get to, this is not the case here... No birds, no cats, no nothing really... I live in a normal zero property line community, with lots of neighbors... He just wants to explore EVERYONES yard when we walk... But guys (& gals) I can't explain enough how badly he's freaking out to get outside... I'M SERIOUS... EVERY SINGLE SECOND OF THE LAST 4 DAYS.

Nothing has changed for this dog in his life... Nothing... no diet change, no scratching himself or itching or anything like that.. no new additions to our house... The only change recently has been he's alone more because the kids are at school now, my wife and I have both been working late... but even if I come home at 12am - I make it a point to play with him for 30 minutes or longer (longer usually)... play fetch, wrestle with the hand a little bit, lay and watch some tv... whatever HE wants... (yeah, he trained us instead of us training him.. no doubt in my mind about that)

Is this something Dox's do? or hounds do? could it be the recent weather change? I'm MAJOR confused - and want to be certain nothing is physically wrong with him..... He's just freaking out to get outside ---- all the **** time!

HELP!

Want to see a Video of Stogie? Click his picture
Old 09-21-2006, 09:01 PM
Ruled by a RED boy!

Did you ever think that he SMELLS A FEMALE IN HEAT! He is an UN-FIXED male afterall. An un-fixed male dog can smell a bitch in heat for about 3miles. Why haven't you neutered him? He would be a much more content dog to own especially if he is a pet and not a show dog
Old 09-21-2006, 09:05 PM
Big Dog

I had that feeling but didn't want to say it, I wanted someone else to say it Thats why I specifically noted he was male and unfixed, lived in a populated neighborhood.....

I asked around if I should neuter him, and everyone told me his behavior really doesn't change... the only health benefit is no chance of testicular cancer... he'll still be dominant, he'll still mark his territory, he'll still be aggressive... so I figured why bother? I'm a dude, and I wouldn't want anyone to cut off my nads!

Old 09-21-2006, 09:06 PM
treehugging clicker freak

my first thought when I read this is there's a female in heat somewhere, and its driving him crazy Horomones and stuff.

It's different for dogs than it is humans. Neutering won't automatically fix problems like aggression, being territorial, ect... But it will help the females in heat thing, among other things...

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 09-21-2006, 09:07 PM
Big Dog

as sad as this sounds, I would LOVE for him to 'learn' how to alert us to go outside for a bathroom break like this!! MY GOODNESS..... If I can somehow teach him to howl like this to go outside to pee...

Old 09-21-2006, 09:09 PM
Ruled by a RED boy!

Thats the problem you shouldn't compare you nads to your dogs LOL! I figured you were a guy LOL! If he is only a year old ther would be plenty of benefits to fixing him. He won't ever be housebroken if he is acting like this, he will probably start marking his territory in the house eventually. As he gets older he can get worse. Usually around two years of age. Males can get very frustrated and become aggressive when they smell a bitch in season. Especially if you live in a well populated area you really should have him fixed it is what is best for him not for you. It is a very simple procedure and can be done ASAP !
Old 09-21-2006, 09:10 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brattina88 View Post
my first thought when I read this is there's a female in heat somewhere, and its driving him crazy Horomones and stuff.

Have you thought about the big snip? j/w

Like I said.. I asked around, and no one could tell me why I SHOULDN'T snip him... I guess now I've got the reason!

I kept hearing, he'll be a better dog, he'll never get testicular cancer (DUH! Really!!!?) but he'll still want to mark territory, he'll still be aggressive, he'll still be EVERYTHING HE IS NOW - but "ball-less" so I figured, why?

Old 09-21-2006, 09:12 PM
Ruled by a RED boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster View Post
Like I said.. I asked around, and no one could tell me why I SHOULDN'T snip him... I guess now I've got the reason!

I kept hearing, he'll be a better dog, he'll never get testicular cancer (DUH! Really!!!?) but he'll still want to mark territory, he'll still be aggressive, he'll still be EVERYTHING HE IS NOW - but "ball-less" so I figured, why?
WHY GET HIM FIXED? For exactly the same reasons you are stating he is being like already. Testosterone does not help that. And the older he gets the worse he can get.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:14 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_ACD_for_me View Post
Thats the problem you shouldn't compare you nads to your dogs LOL! I figured you were a guy LOL!
And Let Me Tell Ya!!! The Little 8 lbs Fella is PACKIN' too! Makes any "daddy" proud!!!

Old 09-21-2006, 09:16 PM
treehugging clicker freak

It's different for dogs than it is humans. Neutering won't automatically fix behavior problems like aggression, being territorial, ect... Because those are learned and are considered a habit. But it will help the females in heat thing, among other things...