Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-21-2006, 03:10 PM
Keyfairy

Default theif!

Loki is already 10 mo. but he still has the problem of stealing stuff off tables, things that are sitting on the floor, etc.. (like the remote, toilet paper, plates etc..) sometimes he will just run around with it to get attention and can be ignored, but if hes got the toilet paper, i obvioulsy have to catch him and take it away.

I would love to know if there is some way to train him to stop stealing random stuff. hes usually good when someon'es around, but if nobody is paying attention, he will do it.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:45 PM
Snow Girl

The root of the problem sounds like boredom. Maybe up his training, up his play sessions, and up his walk time and he won''t be so bored and less apt to steal stuff.

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 09-21-2006, 08:59 PM
Big Dog

Our Dox has a thing for used q-tips and tissue's from the trash in the bedroom or bathroom.... Usually the ones with my wife's makeup, lipstick, etc... that and almost ANY paper he can find... he'll get it and tear (shred) it up somewhere then walk away... Like "Whew... I'm glad I got that one done! 1 down, 73324252 more to go!!!"

Want to see a Video of Stogie? Click his picture
Old 09-23-2006, 04:34 AM
Keyfairy

HAHAHA! Loki and your daschund are very similar in that respect! Such a hard job, shredding garbage...

I do believe that he does it because he is bored, bcuz its always when he wants attention, and i am studying or something. He does get lots of exercize and training, it seems that he uses it as a way to get my attention.

i have found one thing that works, tho. a spray bottle! i only had to spray him once, and then ever since if he is doing something hes not supposed to be doing, all i have to do is point it at him and he'll stop right away and look all sorry . hehe;o)

thanks for the replies so far, guys