Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 09-22-2006, 03:24 AM
Shiba Inu Slave

Quote:
I'm wondering WHERE you are getting your Chi from.

From those pictures - it doesn't seem to me like its a responsible breeder.
I dont know of any good breeder who takes "cuties" pictures of their pups in order to sell them. They are either stacked on a table, or in play mode in the backyard or something with siblings.

putting a puppy in a basket to help sell its "cuteness" just doesn't seem right with me.

Does the pups parents have all of their required testing done at least? Eyes, hips, elbows etc.

Are the pups parents titled in any way?

Are they registered with the CKC or AKC or UKC?

I can't physically see anything wrong with him - he does have a unique colouring which is adorable. But, you also can't tell much from a fairly new born pup conformation wise either though
Couldn't have said it better myself- it's not the PUPPY that gives me a weird feeling, but the PHOTO.

A puppy that young is cute ENOUGH- serious breeders don't have to "play it up" by sticking it in a miniature wicker basket and emphasizing it's small size.

The set up of the photo reminds me a lot of the sort of thing "Wizard of Claws" does- dressing up puppies in little costumes with decorated backgrounds in order to maximize the "cuteness factor, " (and distract from the fact that the puppies pictured may seem dull-eyed and unhealthy).

I just get a bad taste in my mouth from the photos...of course without knowing about health clearances and titling this is just a feeling and nothing more- it's up to you to make sure that you feel comfortable with the breeder you're purchasing from.

Old 09-22-2006, 03:43 AM
Puppy Dog

If it helps, I uploaded the baby photos I got when I was thinking of buying Louie: http://flickr.com/photos/sourjayne/ -- I think the earliest one was probably taken at about 5 weeks? I think it's interesting to see how much they change during the first 8 weeks of their life, and then again during the next 8 weeks.

I'm on a chihuahua forum and some of the folks there who breed puppies post pics of the newborns, you can look at some of them for comparison if you'd like. Here's a good one: http://www.chihuahua-people.com/showthread.php?t=21677
and
http://www.chihuahua-people.com/showthread.php?t=21794

They look like little seals when they're first born
Old 09-22-2006, 02:58 PM
Top Dog

Why would you guys think something was wrong with either the breeder or puppy? The puppy looks to be healthy (by what I can see) but VERY young so he/she looks a little funny. I don't see anything wrong with setting a puppy in a basket (especially a Chi because of the size comparisons) just for a photo. It might not be the way I'd do it but it doesn't say the breeder isn't reputable. Of course do some research about where you are buying from but nothing looks out of the ordinary to me.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:10 PM
Shiba Inu Slave

Quote:
I don't see anything wrong with setting a puppy in a basket (especially a Chi because of the size comparisons) just for a photo. It might not be the way I'd do it but it doesn't say the breeder isn't reputable.
The reason we're concerned is that this sort of thing is a hallmark of irreputable breeders. As I said before- there's no way to know without seeing health clearances, titling, etc. but what it DOES do is put up a red flag that WOULDN'T have been there had the photo been more "matter of fact."

None of the reputable breeders I know photograph their puppies in such a manner. Size comparisons are MUCH better made by photographing puppies with the dam. Besides, especially in a puppy so young, emphasizing small size is pretty pointless...unless you're going for the heart-string tug impulse buy. Then ANYTHING you can do to make that little puppy even more irresistable is a step in the "right" direction.

Putting it in a scratchy wicker basket when it's only a few weeks old? Why not? As long as that puppy sells.

A more normal situation would involve having the puppy photographed with the dam (as I mentioned before), or having it gently hand-stacked on a grooming table or such.

Of course this one set of photos isn't the be-all end-all. It's just ONE of SEVERERAL red flags that I look for when evaluating a breeder.

Old 09-22-2006, 08:40 PM
LabBreeder

Kind of looks like the pup has Down's Syndrome. Well, obviously not the people kind of D.S. but I don't think he looks much like his brother. Seems like he's got a shorter nose and bigger head...maybe it's just the mask that's throwing it off?? Why not ask the breeder if something is "wrong" and how they raise their pups, etc?
Old 09-22-2006, 11:06 PM
Puppy Dog

OK...Iīm sorry my post was confusing. Iīll try to answer all your questions. Here we go:
"Could it be the mask? Why does he have a mask lol. Does the breeder have a website? I would like to take a look at it."
It might be the mask...I donīt think the breeder has a website. She is an awful woman with more than 22 dogs, and sheīs got puppies all year round. She sells the puppies under a bridge, in a major highway. I found the photo in the mexican equivalent of e-bay. Iīll pm you the address.

"Seems like he should be with his mom not posing for cutsey pics."
Agree...the saddest part is that he is being sold at this age!

"It looks like a newborn chi? Maybe about two weeks old."
Agree, but he still doesnīt look like other newborn chiīs.

"I'm wondering WHERE you are getting your Chi from.
From those pictures - it doesn't seem to me like its a responsible breeder.
Does the pups parents have all of their required testing done at least? Eyes, hips, elbows etc.
Are the pups parents titled in any way?
Are they registered with the CKC or AKC or UKC?"

I am not getting a puppy, and I would most certainly never buy a puppy from a breeder like this one. I was just trying to find a reasonable priced kennel for a small poodle via internet, and I came upon this photo. I though the puppy looked weird, and I couldnīt stop thinking about him.
I donīt think parents are titled, certified, or even vaccinated!!! I live in Mexico, so he should me registered by FCI, but he isnīt (neither are parents).

"Why do you think something is wrong with him? I really don't know "what way" he looks from the pictures.
Are they your pups or somebody elses?
Does the pup act right? I mean his movements and functions etc....
Is he "acting" normally for a pup that age?"
I just see him weird. I might be wrong, as I donīt know a lot of chiīs, but he seems different from other photos Iīve seen. They are somebody elses puppies...I donīt know how he acts (I donīt even know if he is a he or a she).

"It's not " what's wrong with this puppy ?" but " What's wrong with this breeder !!!!"
I wouldnīt ask that, as I KNOW whatīs wrong with this breeder. Sheīs really an awful BYB. Iīve been following her for years, trying to get her "out of business". Some of her chiīs donīt even look like chiīs, but this photo got my attention. Not sure why.

"If it helps, I uploaded the baby photos I got when I was thinking of buying Louie: http://flickr.com/photos/sourjayne/ -- I think the earliest one was probably taken at about 5 weeks? I think it's interesting to see how much they change during the first 8 weeks of their life, and then again during the next 8 weeks.

I'm on a chihuahua forum and some of the folks there who breed puppies post pics of the newborns, you can look at some of them for comparison if you'd like. Here's a good one: http://www.chihuahua-people.com/showthread.php?t=21677
and
http://www.chihuahua-people.com/showthread.php?t=21794"
Thank you very much. I will see those photos, and save the links.

"
Kind of looks like the pup has Down's Syndrome. Well, obviously not the people kind of D.S. but I don't think he looks much like his brother. Seems like he's got a shorter nose and bigger head...maybe it's just the mask that's throwing it off?? Why not ask the breeder if something is "wrong" and how they raise their pups, etc?"

YES!!! Thatīs precisely what I am talking about!!! He seems to have the eyes too far apart, and he seems to be flat faced, and with a head bigger than normal. It might be the mask, or the age, but he still looks different from other chiīs. I did ask the "breeder" what was wrong with that pup (I wrote to her) and she said he seems different because he is a 2 month old TEACUP chi, and teacups have a different conformation than standard pups!!!! 2 months old!!!! Teacup!!!! What can you expect of her after that?

Well...I think Iīve answered everything. I will appreciate any other suggestions as to how this pup looks....DOes he seem stange to you?
Old 09-23-2006, 12:48 AM
savethebulliedbreeds

Yikes that woman seems like one crazy lady. Poor Chis. I wish you the best of luck putting her out of business.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:07 PM
Top Dog

....Good luck !!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 09-24-2006, 05:22 PM
Puppy Dog

Thanks!!!!
Old 10-03-2006, 04:45 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Update

Hi. I just found new pictures of this same puppy. He has grown a lot...I think his eyes still look a bit strange (or maybe he was just scared because someone was putting him upside down!), but he does look like lots of chiīs look like. I Guess it was the mask combined with the age....
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/tralali1/r2-1.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/tralali1/r.jpg
Just thought you would like to see him grown.