Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-19-2006, 09:00 PM
Top Dog

Default chewing

Nike has a problem with chewing when I am gone. Everyday its something new. I try to block off everything I can but its impossible to block the living room which is the most important. Today she chewed expensive furniture. I give her chew toys and take her on a walk in the morning(its not long but I honestly can't make it longer) but she ignores the toys even though she likes them when I am home. I tried to spray stuff to keep them off but it didn't work either. Any other suggestions. Would a loose fitting muzzle work/ Please don't jump on me if thats me I have no idea about anything. If I can't come up with a really good solution my dad will make her go in the backyard during the day. He is willing to buy a gate and doghouse but not the expense it costs for a kennel. Since she is my dog mainly I try to pay for as much as I can but it would take me months and months to earn enough money. Any suggestions?
Old 09-19-2006, 09:26 PM
treehugging clicker freak

I would confine him to one room until he's reliable you can buy baby gates at garage sales for example that would pretty well I confine new fosters to the kitchen, but any room would work. Also, giving him a puzzle ball, or a Kong would keep him occupied so he's not chewing on something else.
HTH

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 09-19-2006, 09:34 PM
Top Dog

Can you buy baby gates that go more than a doors length? I gabe her a kong but she never uses it unless im there, even though I praise her for using it.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:39 PM
treehugging clicker freak

It depends on the type of baby gate... there are many styles, but most can double their width...

what do you put in your kong?
Old 09-19-2006, 10:50 PM
Top Dog

Peanut butter, dog treats, cheese
Old 09-20-2006, 12:12 AM
Top Dog

We had this problem for a while: he chewed on everthing, shredded anything he could find, and ripped threads out of the carpet.

It was really bad for a week but we gave him some things to chew on (dehydrated sweet potatoes, edible bones, etc.) and it helped a lot.

We also put cayenne pepper on every place that he would chew or rip up the carpet. He's been pretty reliable lately!
Old 09-20-2006, 11:55 AM
Top Dog

We had a dog a couple years ago that chewed on everything. One time even chewed through a set of christmas lights and they were turned on! We would keep her in the kitchen at night blocked off with baby gates but she climbed right up them. My husband even Built a gate for the doorway that was twice as high as a baby gate hoping to keep her in but it didn't work. She'd climb right over that too. After that it was time for a crate.

Thanks for the siggie Baxter'smybaby!

Laura
Old 09-20-2006, 04:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrus007 View Post
Can you buy baby gates that go more than a doors length? I gabe her a kong but she never uses it unless im there, even though I praise her for using it.
The max I've seen is 42 inches. We have one opening that is 51 inches--we bought an extension to a baby playpen but our dog kept finding ways to get around it. Then I used oak ply and made a door, but my girlfriend left it open too long and it ripped piece of the wall off on its way down!
Old 09-20-2006, 06:27 PM
Puppy Dog

I read on another forum about someone who sprayed cheap perfume on a hanky and popped it into her dog's mouth. He hated the taste of the (dried) perfume and she sprayed it on everything he tried to chew. Apparantly it worked!

I have a baby gate that expands to 2.5 metres. I know it comes from the States but can't remember who makes them. Sorry if this doesn't help, but at least you will know that they are available.

Gillian
Old 09-20-2006, 07:05 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillian View Post
I read on another forum about someone who sprayed cheap perfume on a hanky and popped it into her dog's mouth. He hated the taste of the (dried) perfume and she sprayed it on everything he tried to chew. Apparantly it worked!

I have a baby gate that expands to 2.5 metres. I know it comes from the States but can't remember who makes them. Sorry if this doesn't help, but at least you will know that they are available.

Gillian
I wouldnt do the perfume thing...JMO....