Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-30-2005, 08:55 PM
Husky

Question Need some info on how to manage my Husky shedding

Hi I am a new member here in need of some help with my husky shedding ? We just got Kona a little wile ago and she is a 3 year old Siberian Husky. I new that she would shed but it is unreal. Does anyone have any tips on any speicial brushes our things to use in these times

Thanks
Old 03-30-2005, 09:15 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

I have a Malamute and I understand how much hair there can be. The only thing I would suggest is to make sure you brush your dog at least once a day to get rid of the hair. Lucas, my Mal., sheds really bad about twice a year. When those times come I just brush him about twice a day. You can see the hair coming out in little clumps.
As far as brushes I prefer the rack types. I got mine from petco, but you should be able to find some at most pet store. You also might want to brush in little strokes. That seems to make it less uncomfortable than the long strokes.
Other than that I would vacuum alot and brush her outside or the hair will go everywhere. Good luck with your new doggie and I hope everything goes well. I saw her picture on your profile and she looks gorgeous.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:19 PM
Playful Husky Pup

Being a Musher I feel your Pain i own 15 Sibes and one going on 7 month old Malamute and its fur city here. Here's a list of my grooming kit.
Hound Mit
soft Pin Brush
synthetic bristle brush
Rubber Brush (this is the best for spring shedding)
Narrow Toother combed for ears and face

I know its tough stuff I fill bags and bags of fur a day and my field right now at certain spots as a fine coat of fur lol. I bath my dog ALOT also and i think that helps also. Im no pro but I deal with it well. My carpet washer and vacum are my friend in the house and the dustbuster . But I don't keep all my sibes in the house just so you know.

Theres no simple solution but daily bushing twice a day atleast this time of the year.

Hope this helped.

Pets name: Chaos

Pets name: Blue Moon

Pets name: Cajun

Pets name: Smoothie
Old 03-30-2005, 09:33 PM
Husky

Thanks it will the information will help a lot. I do brush her every day it is hard to beleave she can loose that much fur LOL. Thanks for the tips.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:45 PM
Dog Spoiler

I have a golden retriever and I feel your pain. I take a shedding blade with me everytime I go outside so SOME of it comes outside and not in the house. But in all honesty, there is still going to be a LOT of hair inside the house. Something you gotta live with
lol

-Jon
Old 03-30-2005, 11:35 PM
Husky

Thanks LOL I love how you are playing the little clip how do you do that !!! That is neet is it just off your digital camera?
Old 03-31-2005, 12:26 AM
Dog Spoiler

Thank you, yes it is off my digital camera.

-Jon
Old 03-31-2005, 05:12 AM
Don't encourage me..

My mum Hoovers her dog! He just sits there while she hoovers him! She uses an old vaccum cleaner that isn't very powerful and just runs it over him! Very funny to watch! Lol! She used to do the same to our old cat when I was little!

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Old 03-31-2005, 05:59 AM
Top Dog

I have 4 malamutes, and I feel for you I know its unbeleivable how much hair can come off one dog, I used to have samoyeds and they were just as bad. I normally start by brushing with a soft pin brush, then I use a slicker brush, this really gets the hair out, and when they are nearly finish shedding to get the last lot out I bath and Blast them with a turbo blaster dog dryer, this really clears it out and dries them without using heat. the hair coming out can take different lengths of time dependant on dog, some can more or less a full blow out in a period of two weeks, other can do a little sheeding for some time then bam the lot comes out, I keep the hair and put it out for the birds, they use it in their nests, I think the birds in this area have the nicest cosiest nest around

Mo
Old 03-31-2005, 07:46 AM
Puppy Dog

Hey Moe! I noticed last summer that the birds were swooping down and taking my Chow/Shepherd's hair too. It was funny because my husband was mowing the lawn and he started yelling for me. When I came over, he was holding a bird's nest that had fallen from our pine tree. It was made with Teddi's hair!! Well along with some grass and mud. It was the coolest thing. Talk about a nice cushey nest.