Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 09-18-2006, 09:26 PM
Evil Kitty taco eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd View Post
Problems can arise in any pups no matter how much the parents pass with flying colors .
Oh I know!! The litter the pup I had that came down with severe HD in her 3 gen pedigree 26 out of the 30 dogs had OFA's with a rating of Good or better.
You never know!
I am glad you are doing your research. Im very excited to see what you both end up choosing!

Where am I going? And why am I in this hand basket!!!?
Old 09-18-2006, 10:02 PM
Top Dog

Of the over 100 pups in 40 years of my own litters or siring to all Good or better OFA there's been 2 .... and even that to me is too many !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 09-19-2006, 06:11 AM
Top Dog

I would also try and find out from other breeders if this particular breeder has a good reputation, maybe contact the breed rescue or shelters local to him and see if any of his pups/dogs have ended up there.

Mo
Old 09-19-2006, 12:24 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe View Post
I would also try and find out from other breeders if this particular breeder has a good reputation, maybe contact the breed rescue or shelters local to him and see if any of his pups/dogs have ended up there.

Mo
We he was referred to me by another breeder. I talked to a breeder in Indiana (well they used to breed) and they suggested the two breeders that I am talking to now.

Old 09-19-2006, 02:03 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

It sounds like you're taking all the right precautions! Kudos! I hope you find the right breeder and dog!

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 09-19-2006, 02:54 PM
Rusty but Trusty

I just realized that I am spelling things wrong. Sorry, my brain is not really working right now. If things don't make sense just ask.

Old 09-19-2006, 03:37 PM
*Biter*

What all is he testing for? Hips are important, but not the only thing that's important. I would also see if he has tested for heart, thyroid, eyes, etc. Berners have a lot of health problems and good hips aren't going to save the day if your pup is burdened with a bad heart.

Also, as someone else mentioned, is he active in showing? Are his breeding stock titled? I know it seems petty to look for that to some, but to me it is a good sign that they are concerned with breeding dogs that adhere closely to the standard.

Good luck on your quest. They are amazing and wonderful dogs but be prepared for the drooling and the fur. And the being leaned on and sat on. And they do not tolerate heat well at all (just wanted to add that - I'm sure you know already, I'm just trying to throw in everything I can think of)

Ditto - 2 year old APBT and Corvus - 7 year old supermutt

Paws Jaws and Wrecking Balls