Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-31-2005, 09:43 AM
Don't encourage me..

Default I'll get them!!

Gus has started Herding! The other day when we went up to see the horses, they were up at the top of the field and wouldn't come when I called them, they normally do but the spring grass has arrived and it's better than any bread I may have to give them!!!
So there I was calling them thinking I'm going to have to go all the way up the hill aren't I! Gus rocketed off, he passed all three horses on the left hand side, went round the back of them and barked. This startled them and so they came running towards me! Luckily they stopped in time!!
Gus came back to me when I called him looking all pleased with himself! He looked at me as if to say "I have to come when you call! so should they!"
He's far too clever!! I suppose it's the German Shepherd in him!

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Old 03-31-2005, 09:52 AM
Top Dog

Thats awesome, nothing like when your dog feels satisfied with a job well done for mom! How considerate of him to make sure that you didn't have to go and get them. Have you done any formal training with him?
Gunnar, my pup is so funny when we go on walks with my boys ages 2 & 5, if they are behind me he runs back to them and nudges them to make sure they are coming and then waits for them to catch up before he will go on ahead.

Old 03-31-2005, 09:56 AM
Don't encourage me..

No never done formal training, but he's so clever!! I think he could compete in obedience, but sadly there are no dog clubs near here! Nearest one is 2 hours away! Bit too much of a trek!

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Old 03-31-2005, 10:05 AM
Top Dog

Way to go, Gus! Tell him I said he is such a good boy! What a smart and clever fellow he is!
Old 03-31-2005, 02:00 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Good Dog GustaV!!!!!
Old 03-31-2005, 03:11 PM
Top Dog

Awwww how sweet and clever ! They just continue to aim to please! WHOOP WHOOP ! (I'm so corny )
Old 03-31-2005, 04:09 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

The first time i saw my labrador quarter a field..not something you can teach..i was in awe..i am so happy you have a wonderful dog!
Old 03-31-2005, 04:13 PM
Don't encourage me..

He is wonderful! Just love him to bits! Life is never dull with Gus around!

Old 04-01-2005, 11:58 AM
Don't encourage me..

He did it again today! I can see a pattern forming!!! Maybe I shoud get some sheep for him?!! Problem is they give me Asthma!

Old 04-01-2005, 02:21 PM
Felurian

Maybe some pygmy goats?

That's just awesome. I remember how proud I was of Bimmer when he went out and brought in the cows that had broken through the fence. (Yes, to a cow the grass IS greener on the other side!) I knew he could do it, but Charley didn't think he could. He has no faith. Bimmer still works better for me because I don't get all wound up and he gets clearer signals from me. In the winter, when there is hay stored in the barn, I can tell him to go check the barn and he goes right out and makes sure there are no cows in there. I don't even have to step off the porch, lol! These herders are grand creatures!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian