Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-15-2006, 08:57 PM
Active Pup

Question Help ASAP

My dog all the sudden became majorly hormonal and hyper. The last week or so he’s been extra hyper and not wanting to listen but today he started getting weird with my sister. He has been trying to hump her and being very “up in her face” to a point where we had to lock him in his kennel. He is a 14 month old Rhodesian ridgeback, and we do have a 5 month old female RR as well. Does anyone know why he might be acting this way and what can I do to stop it?
Old 09-15-2006, 09:11 PM
Top Dog

Is he fixed?
Old 09-15-2006, 09:18 PM
Twin 2.0

Next question, is SHE fixed?
Old 09-15-2006, 09:38 PM
Active Pup

Neither one of them are fixed we plan to breed them in a few years.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:44 PM
Twin 2.0

Then my guess is that she might be coming into her first heat, in which case you have a barrel of fun headed your way in keeping them seperated (NEVER EVER EVER breed on the first heat!) and having to deal with a frustrated intact male.

I do hope that you plan on doing all appropriate health testing, like OFA, CERF, elbows and those diseases common in Rhodies. Also, do you show at all? Are they both outstanding specimens of their breed?
Old 09-15-2006, 10:35 PM
LabBreeder

Are they going to be titled in any way? Are they registered? Do they have good temperaments/trainability? Do they conform to the R.R. standards? Are (as zoom said) they excellent specimens of the breed? Don't forget the appropriate health testing that was mentioned as well as finding out as much info on whelping/dangers/breeding/etc. + health guarantees and spay/neuter contracts.

I'm sure there is more to consider. It's been a long day.
Good Luck and be a responsible breeder, not a byb.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:38 PM
Training the Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samson View Post
Neither one of them are fixed we plan to breed them in a few years.
**shudder** just exactly what I hate to hear whenever I log on to this site. It makes me want to cry, seriously.

Yesterday we were at the park and I remarked to a lady about her beautiful husky. She said, `Yeah, she had eight puppies a few months ago, and four of them were stolen'. I had to actually walk away so that I didn't ask her if she was a registered breeder, knew what she was doing, knew how many dogs there are in shelters and so forth. If there is one thing that takes top prize for being the ultimate in selfishness, it's backyard breeding.

Get your dogs fixed, and don't contribute to the overpopulation problem this world faces with so many dogs - mostly because of backyard breeders.

And that's my rant for the day.

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare, and love we can spare. In return they give us their all. It is the best deal man has ever made
Old 09-16-2006, 11:44 PM
Evil Kitty taco eater

Samson why not do a search on breeding on this site.
Keywords
Breeding, BYB, puppymill, responsible breeder.

Where am I going? And why am I in this hand basket!!!?
Old 09-17-2006, 12:07 AM
Dog Show Addict

If you aren't showing your dogs - Honestly I'd fix at least one of them.

Its a HUGE pain in the butt to keep the male away from the female for a WHOLE MONTH.

We have three dogs here. 1 is my unaltered male Belgian Tervuren, 1 is our altered male Sheltie, the other is our unaltered female Sheltie.

Our male Sheltie was altered b/c he grew out of standard and therefor unshowable and unbreedable. (He also had a few other flaws that were not worth passing down ie - gay tail, back feet point inward and long in the body).

Anyways our little female sheltie and my Male Belgian are BOTH show dogs trying to gain their Canadian CH titles - therefore CAN NOT be fixed.

If it was up to me - our female would be fixed in a heart beat.

The things my Belgian goes through are insane. He completely looses focus - he paces the halls, whines, cries, stops eating, looses weight, gets too friendly with other dogs, if I handle our female during her heat - he tries to get friendly with me - he learned the hard way its not a good idea with me.

He basically looses his brain - and he is a very smart and obedient dog under other circumstances.

Each time our female is in the backyard and hes out afterwards when shes back in - he sniffs our yard down and marks EVERYWHERE, he froths from the mouth b/c he can smell her but can't see her.

Honestly is it REALLY worth your time and energy for this? Is your home properly set up to keep your dogs seperated for a FULL MONTH when your bitch is in season?

Do you have any previous experience with breeding, does your breeder or place you got your dogs from know that you are planning on breeding them??
Are you planning on health testing BOTH your dogs for eyes, hips, elbows in the least?

Its not worth stresses for your male if these things can not be done - trust me!
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 09-17-2006, 02:11 AM
and Spy.

^^Ditto!
Great post Summer!

~Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.