Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 09-14-2006, 07:59 PM
Active Pup

Question Question for all...

I have a Chihuahua who was pregnant once before, her and the male did NOT tie.... she had 3 pups exactly 65 days later.. Now here is my question... the male did try to "get her" again, and again no luck for him.. I was relieved... as she had an upcoming appt to get spayed... She was on meds, then went into heat and we had to play the waiting game...Now... This last week or so shes gotten larger in the stomach.., teets are larger shes digging again and sleeping more... I have made an appt. for her to see our Vet on Monday but i have about a thousand questions going through my head... She is showing the same signs as before... but since i did not plan on breeding, I did not even considering writing down the date when he tried to tie... If she is pregnant based on some of my estimated dates, she should be due now... I have not felt any puppy movement unlike the last time.. Could it be that when he tried she just was not ovulating, and the conception didnt take place for a few days or so after? Is it possible that with one puppy , if he/she is tinier, could that be why we may not feel movement yet?? I am hoping that she is not pregnant... I want to get her spayed... She is my baby, not a breeder... and she is my world... If anyone could give me any ideas to help get me through the weekend until she can see the vet i would greatly appreciate it... Does anyone know how long a males sperm can survive? I used to always think that without a tie a female could not get pregnant... and when i took her to our vet when she was pregnant before, he asked me how long the tie was, when i told him there wasnt one,he actually argued with me saying that its impossible... I was in shock... and i was in shock that he didnt realize it could happen, needless to say... New vet... :-)
Old 09-14-2006, 08:26 PM
Evil Kitty taco eater

ITs quite possible she is pregnant with a small litter.
Since she has already had pups you know what to expect when the time nears.
Here is a website full of great information on breeding and whelping. You can also purchase whelping supplies there.
www.debbiejensen.com/

I hope this is a false pregnacy and you can get her in ASAP to be spayed. Also might consider neutering your male as well.

Where am I going? And why am I in this hand basket!!!?
Old 09-14-2006, 08:28 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

i dont know. but just wanted to say good luck
Old 09-14-2006, 08:41 PM
Active Pup

Thank you... Luckily for me, its not our male... i was visiting my mother in laws.... I definatly know what to expect when the time is near... the labor aspect... I had to assist her with her first litter, or all the pups would not of survived... I have been fortunate to have been through this already with someone elses dog that i was babysitting years ago.. so i was prepared with my little bag of stuff, incase this, incase that I guess I keep expecting to feel a lot of movement, but maybe this is a tinier pup.. Her last litter did contain 3 so Id imagine its no wonder the movement was so strong!.. I want you all to know that I wouldnt dream of calling my self abreeder.. i didnt breed for profit... Actually i kept all 3 , i have attachment issues This little one already has a home if indeed she is pregnant.. 4 chis is about enough for me... I was I guess more curious about how long males stuff survives, and the movement thing..
Old 09-14-2006, 08:45 PM
Top Dog

You say you have 4 chis? Are they all female? How old are the others? Are you planning to get them fixed also?

Old 09-14-2006, 09:14 PM
Active Pup

Yes, 4 chis... mom is 3, the youngins are a yr old, or just over... I focused on the young ones for spaying first... they are all females... and have been fixed prior to heat, a little less expensive.. Mom is next on the agenda... She was due to be fixed at one point but ended up on penicillin and was not able to go for her surgery... I will be discussing spaying with our vet on Monday... 4 chis sounds like a lot, but 2 are little tiny guys... wont be more then 3.5 pounds, and i just love them all!!!
Old 09-14-2006, 09:43 PM
Top Dog

That is good that you have the little ones spayed. I really hope this is only a false pregnancy and you can get the mom fixed very soon

Old 09-14-2006, 09:43 PM
Evil Kitty taco eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by majicgrl View Post
Thank you... Luckily for me, its not our male... i was visiting my mother in laws.... I definatly know what to expect when the time is near... the labor aspect... I had to assist her with her first litter, or all the pups would not of survived... I have been fortunate to have been through this already with someone elses dog that i was babysitting years ago.. so i was prepared with my little bag of stuff, incase this, incase that I guess I keep expecting to feel a lot of movement, but maybe this is a tinier pup.. Her last litter did contain 3 so Id imagine its no wonder the movement was so strong!.. I want you all to know that I wouldnt dream of calling my self abreeder.. i didnt breed for profit... Actually i kept all 3 , i have attachment issues This little one already has a home if indeed she is pregnant.. 4 chis is about enough for me... I was I guess more curious about how long males stuff survives, and the movement thing..
I have heard up to 3 days but 24-48 hours is more likely.
If there was no tie then it is still possible the sperm swam thier way to the eggs. Also if she was standing chances are she was ready yano?
Not feeling any movement is a concern. She could be having a pup that will come out dead or deformed. Or she could be having a false pregancy.

Where am I going? And why am I in this hand basket!!!?
Old 09-14-2006, 09:55 PM
Water Junkie

I really hope that it is a false pregancy!!!!! Good Luck to the both of you!!!!!

Let us know what happens!!!

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 09-15-2006, 12:13 AM
Top Dog

Do hope it's false, for both your sakes and you can have her spade in 3 months ! Let us know !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/