Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-29-2005, 10:17 PM
Not crazy...

Smile A puppies rescue story

Ok, I decided to post the story on how I rescued 2 pups. Read if you like, it has a happy ending.

Over spring break my mom and I went to Oklahoma to visit my grandparents. It’s a town full of mostly older people, and the people you’d call ‘white trash’.

Now, the people next door to my grandparents have a dog that had a litter of puppies, while she was practically a puppy herself! She was a medium sized tan dog, skinny and lanky, with a face kind of like a labs, but small and less broad. The dad was a dog that looked like and schnauzer on stilts, or like a real version of Tramp from Lady and the Tramp. She had the pups and was like a walking skeleton, staying alive only because my grandparents fed her leftovers from their house. But this was all before we got their.

*Note* The owner didn’t feed her dogs, except for every once and a while.

When we got their to visit for spring break, their were only 3 pups left, as they had found homes for the other 3. The mom was slightly less of a skeleton, but you could still count every rib. We immediately got the highest quality puppy food we could find. My mom filled an empty meat tray with the food, and carefully lowered it over the fence. The mom dog ate some, but then she picked up the tray, as carefully as she could, and carried it to her puppies so they could eat! She then proceeded to pick up and bury the kibbles she had spilled to save. Before she paced the fence looking for food, but after a few days of feeding she calmed down, and quit pacing.

Now, all the pups were sick, but one was disgustingly skinny and had a crusty nose. I begged my mom to let me go next door and get them. She said no, because one of our dachshunds is allergic to all shots, and thus isn’t vaccinated (allergic enough to nearly kill her if she gets them) and so we couldn’t risk bringing 3 puppies on the 6 hour car ride home with her. I thought and thought, and figured we could drive 3 hours to my other grandma who lives closer to our house in Texas, give our dachshunds to my brother to take back to Texas, drive back 3 hours, get the puppies, and drive the 6 hours home.

All went smoothly, and when we got back to my grandparents, I rang their neighbor’s doorbell and hoped for the best. What I said went something like this: “Hi! I’m visiting my grandparents for spring break, and saw your adorable puppies! It’s my birthday Sunday, and my mom said that I could have one if you were willing to sell them.” She said she’d give 2 to me, but the really sick one she wanted to keep. I agreed, and took the 2 others. We took them to the vet, who gave us medicine and gave them a shot, and headed home to Texas. One is now living with my good friend, the other, Bagel Dog, we decided to keep.

Buster, 11 weeks
Old 03-30-2005, 07:26 AM
mostly ignored...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW . So cute. Good for you guys. I betcha he's thinking he is in doggy heaven compared to where he was! Food when he wants and 3 friends to play with all day! I wish all puppy stories ended this way.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:57 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

hoorrraaayyy for you! Great story..great plan..wonder what happened to the sickest one..darn,, but the other two..oh that is just wonderful!
Old 03-30-2005, 08:15 AM
Love my pets

Great story. Glad to hear Bagel and the other puppy are now living a better life because of you.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:53 AM
Felurian

Bagel Dog is a lucky pup! It's a shame that poor mama dog can't just "disappear" and go live somewhere else . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-30-2005, 01:43 PM
Not crazy...

The other puppies lived! My mom visited, and he was alive and well. But of course they wont get the female spayed, so theres gonna be more puppies eventually, but we can save those too.

Buster, 11 weeks
Old 03-30-2005, 03:14 PM
Don't encourage me..

Well done you! He's a real cutie!

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch