Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-12-2006, 03:59 PM
Top Dog

Default Dalmations?

Does anyone know of any reputable dalmation breeders?

General info on the breed would be great too! (I've heard they're active and shed like crazy!) I'm not getting a dog just yet, I'm just looking around at the moment.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:08 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

My neighbor had one, not so sure she was a wonderfully bred dog, as she was very short, and stocky, almost like a pit bull, but she was white w/ the black spots. The owner said she was full Dal though....She was a sweet dog. Not at all like the reputation the breed has for being bad with kids. She was really sweet to us, and my little sister (10, but i suppose she must've been around 7 or 8 then). Domino (the dal) was a big shedder, your clothes would be covered in white hair after contact with her. She really wasn't very hyper or active, but she was older, probably around 5, maybe 6yrs old. She was sweet, but that's the only Dalmation I've been in contact with besides my old dog, Patches, but he was Dal/Dane. He was a wonderful dog also. I'd like to see some more info on them though, also. We're looking into several different breeds, to possibly buy in the future. Good luck!

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 09-13-2006, 02:59 PM
Top Dog

What do you think of this breeder?

http://www.jlsdals.com/index.html
Old 09-13-2006, 03:09 PM
Shiba Inu Slave

I've heard good things about JLS.

I used to know someone who was very heavy into Dals, and their ultimate goal was to get a JLS dog.

And seriously, who couldn't love Newt? Gorgeous animal.

I didn't look over the site all that carefully, but it's good to see that they've got the results of their BAER testing up for each of the dogs.

I wouldn't even consider getting a Dalmatian from a breeder that didn't find this crucial.

Dals are *incredibly* active (some would say bordering on hyper). So you can bet they won't be a good match for anyone who would rather sit on the couch than go for a run.

I'd have a look at the National Breed Club's breeder referral if I were you. They can often steer you in the right direction- as they'll truly be in the know.

Old 09-13-2006, 03:13 PM
Twin 2.0

Hey, JLS is like 40 minutes from me!

I've met one fantastic Dal, just as sweet and good natured as could be--the type that probably inspired 101 Dalmations. The others I met have mostly been..."iffy"...they stare at you with a look that gives the impression they're sizing you up so they can see how much trouble they can cause before you do anything. Kind of snappy and just not the most balanced feeling of dogs. Love the coats though, so very soft!

Who needs sleep?

CrazyDog Photography CrazyDog on Facebook
Scent Sweet Home--Scentsy Wickless Candles Follow me!-Fall/Winter 2013 catalogs available!
Have Aussie, Will Travel--A Blog updated 5/26/12

Thanks Alliemackie!
Old 09-13-2006, 03:56 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

i have met two. i dont know how well bred, but they were both agressive. not just barking, they have been known to bite
Old 09-13-2006, 04:16 PM
Shiba Inu Slave

Zoom and Rabbits have brought up some good points- in these guys, finding someone who is REALLY concerned with balanced temperaments is key.

Unfortunately, due to their extreme popularity after 101 Dalmatians, there are TONS of people breeding unsound, temperamentally unstable dogs. In a breed with as much energy and excitability as a Dal, an unsound temperament would just be disaster.

Best bet would be to meet *several* of your prospective breeder's dogs and see how they behave.

Old 09-13-2006, 05:01 PM
Dog Show Addict

I've met a few Dalmations - Definately get from a GOOD breeder! One that has credentials and testing done to each dog before it was bred!

Our neighbour had a dalmation for a bit - beautiful dog.. HORRIBLE temper. It bit their younger childs face and she has a premanent scare, she tried biting anyone she got near. She was PTS around 2 or 3 yrs old b/c of her bite record and they did try with her.

Another Dalmation I knew was a rescue and extremely Dog Aggresive, but she went all the way to Masters level in Agility and was featured on Top Dog two years ago! Very sweet personality and excellent with young children. The ladies young kids used to pull on her ears, shove things in her nose and she just stood there lol

The other two Dals that I met were a friends and they were VERy friendly with people and other dogs - but they also came from a great breeder.

yes they ARE hyper as well!! They are like a Jack Russel almost!
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 09-13-2006, 07:15 PM
ME+DOGS=CRAZY

Dalmatians are really good dogs! that is if you get them from a good breeder, train them, and socialize them right! They love to be with people, and might get distructive if left alone. and of course A way to find a good breeder is most likely to go to a dogs show and take to some Dalmatian owners/breeders I'm sure they'ed be happy to help you. It's also good to make sure you buy from a reputive (sp) breeder because Dals that are breed by BYB are more then likely going to be hyper active and could even be deaf along with some other inherited illnesses. And yes they do shed like crazy! also they have been known to form kindey stones so a diet with low protein would be best. I'd suggest that you research ALOT more! Dalmatians can be a tough breed to handle if you don't know what your doing!

FYI...It's spelt Dalmatian not Dalmation
where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace."
~Milan Kundera
Old 09-13-2006, 07:40 PM
Are you dead yet?

I grew up around a LOVELY Dal. She actually was a fireman's dog, named Sparky. She went to the station with him often and was a complete JOY to be around. I was about 8 years old when she died and she put up with my prodding, pulling, poking and other general "kiddie crap".

She was amazing and even though she wasn't the picture of perfection (blue eyes, a patch on her butt and WAY too leggy) she was what I think a Dal should be.

I have never met another Dal even remotely like Sparky. Most have had problems with instability, nervousness and aggression. I really think a lot of this is caused by their pent-up energy. Not many people have what it takes to give a Dal the exercise they need. While other super high energy breeds like Border Collies need physical exercise, they settle down if they are given a job to do. Dals just need to RUN. Sparky used to run alongside her owners on horseback for miles every day; perhaps that was part of what made her such a stable, confident, relaxed dog.