Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 03-29-2005, 02:58 PM
Show Dog

Default Possible Ear Infection

Hello Everyone!

Ginger is 4 Months old and could possibly have her first ear infection . Everytime I give her a bath, I clean her ears. And i don't find any ear wax or anything on the cotton balls/tissues that i use to clean her ears.

But there is a slight foul Odor & she keeps scratching at it. I don't have a lot of funds right now since i had just brought her to the vet last week for nausea/vomiting.

Is there anything like I can buy at my local pet store that i can buy to help with ear infection? for example those wormers they have are over the counter that actually work. Thanks!
Old 03-29-2005, 07:18 PM
Top Dog

Could be ear mites.....
Old 03-29-2005, 07:49 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

my guess is yeast..especially with the foul smell..yeast can be way down there too..seems some dogs are more prone than others..there are a lot of "cures" but the best one does come from the vet. I had a yellow lab that we fought yeast her whole life..it was very bad no matter how careful i tried to keep it from coming back. The yeast medicine doesn't cost too much..maybe your vet would let you just pick it up instead of having to pay for an office call..
Old 03-30-2005, 02:42 AM
Quigleyfied

a 50/50 mix of apple cider vinegar and witch hazel works well. you should be able to find both for under $5 per 16oz bottle.

most witch hazel products have alcohol in them, but that is not a bad thing since it helps dry the ear more quickly after cleaning. you just don't want a bunch of other ingredients in it, especially no fragrances or colorings. the brand i currently have in my medicine cabinet is "T.N. Dickinson's All Natural Witch Hazel Astringent" and it cost around $3 a bottle.

as far as the apple cider vinegar goes - it needs to be raw and untreated, so the heinz brand you can find at most grocery stores is useless. i generally buy bragg unfiltered organic raw.

mix a small amount in a non-metal dish, no more than you can use up immediately. 1-2 tablespoons of each should be plenty for each session. throw out whatever you don't need and make a fresh mixture for the next cleaning.

use an eye dropper or turkey baster and slowly, carefully drop the liquid into the ear canal, then massage gently and wipe out with a cotton ball or pad. do this twice daily for at least a week.

in addition to that, giving a probiotic supplement would also be very beneficial, to help the body along fighting the infection.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 03-30-2005, 02:42 AM
Show Dog

I don't have a regular vet. I've only been to the emergency one. that's the one ive always been too..

so if i do go to a regular vet. i'd have to pay an arm and a leg to get them looked at .. but i'll give a call first thing in the morning
Old 03-30-2005, 08:15 AM
Golden Retrievers Rule!

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khristine
Ginger is 4 Months old and could possibly have her first ear infection . Everytime I give her a bath, I clean her ears. And i don't find any ear wax or anything on the cotton balls/tissues that i use to clean her ears.
--You have to flush the ear canal also. Try "Nolvasan Otic" or ask your vet to recommend a product. Have them show you exactly how to clean your dogs ears while you are there. Some vets automatically show you this, some don't.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:23 AM
Felurian

Part of the cause may very well be having been on the Flagyl. Antibiotics can wreak havoc with the natural flora - good bacteria, allowing yeast to grow. You'll want to get her system back in balance to avoid further problems.

Adding some yoghurt to her diet will help, but it would be good idea to get some specific advice from Mordy - my best advice would be to PM or e-mail her.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-30-2005, 10:04 AM

I've also found that using a drop of distilled vinegar in a tablespoon of warm water is wonderful for cleaning. Wet a cotton ball, but wring out excess and reach deep into the ear canal. Even with the vet medication, the ear has to be clean prior to using....some vets are willing to deep clean the ear, some aren't. If your dog starts leaning it's head to the side, or even seeming to be off balance, you must get him to the vet immediately. Ear infections are very painful if not treated. Sure hope your little pal feels better soon!!!!
Old 03-30-2005, 10:43 AM
Show Dog

My little girl is in too much pain Im going to the vet this morning because i don't want to take chances!

thanks for your help everyone, i will use that remedy if oreo ever gets it *knock on wood* .. or if ginger gets it again!
Old 03-30-2005, 02:29 PM
Love my pets

Khristine let us know how you made out at the vet. If ear infections get very bad, they can do damage. Good idea to go to the vet with all the pain she's in.