Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-29-2005, 01:33 PM
mostly ignored...

Default Why is your dog named what he/she is named?

I was reading the "what's in a name" post and got to wondering where everyone came up with their dog names? Mine came after a series of brainstorming on the way home from the breeder, so the poor guy could welcome in the newyear with a name He was sort of pale yellow all over at the time and REALLY cheerful for such a young pup so me and my closet hippie self decided on Sunny. I don't think anyone would have argued with me unless I wanted to give him one of their names or call him pixie or something How about you?
Old 03-29-2005, 01:40 PM
Island dweller

Well, that's a long list.

Maverick came from the SPCA with that name. We called him by other names and sounds to see if he liked something better but he really didn't care so he is Maverick now.

Mikey came with another name that I don't remember. He responded to 'Mike' when we called him that.

Mini is short for MiNina or my girl. I got her when I was still engaged to my Chilean ex and that was the name he wanted for her.

Molly came with the name Dolly but we changed it to go with the "m" theme.

Mitsty came with the name Jewel cuz some kid had left a bracelet around her neck. Steve changed her name because she looked like a Mitsy he had known. And the m theme...

Chiclet was so named because she is the smallest breed of rabbit, Netherland Dwarf.

Niblet, rip, was named to rhyme with chiclet and because he bit Steve's cousin which is why we got him.

Mika I had a hard to naming so I looked names up on the internet and found that Mika (a 'm' name) means intelligent racoon in a native language. I don't think it said which one.

Woody, rip, was a beautiful colour and would have blended in nicely in the woods. actually he was more straw coloured but I liked the name.

Miss Piggy was named because she grunted like a pig when Steve picked her up although I've never heard her do that. I called her Piglet sometimes too.

I guess that's it unless you want me to do my horses. lol
Old 03-29-2005, 01:49 PM
Top Dog

Well Neva was named by my good friend and I believe it means snowflake in Spanish.
Gunnar got his name because my fiancee's whole family is into hunting and guns, in fact his step mom owns a gun supply store so Gunnar he is, I also like the meaning which is soldier.

Fergi one of my bunnies name came from my grandfathers middle name which was Ferguson, I also happened to buy her on the anniversary of his death.

Diva was named because she is just such a Diva, she is one of the most beautiful Flemish giant rabbits I have ever seen and has the perfect Diva like personality.

Samara is Fergi's daughter and her name means protected by God, it was choosen by a poll on a rabbit forum.

Old 03-29-2005, 02:06 PM
Corgi bum

Chloe is my Corgi, and the name just fit her.

Jackson Browne...the same as Chloe.

Hootie came with that name.

Felida is the name of the school where we rescued her. It mean Feline in latin.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:19 PM
Playful Husky Pup

Akara because it means wild red beauty and is really decribed her.
Tracker His full name Is Farla's Tribute but I simplified it to Tracker for one reason or anouther.
Shaker Just kinda went with Tracker and he is does constantly shake like she's wet but he's not lol.
Nera named her after my Dads mum
Buck named him after Buck in Jack Londons Call of the wild
Harley named him after the Motorcycle because he is full and i mean PULL of energy.
Roxy Her full name is Roxanne and i just all her Roxy i named her that because she just seems like she would be a female rocker chick if she were human.
Monty came from the shelter with his name and I kept it sicne he does look like a Monty.
Star came with the name from the shelter and it just stuck
Angel I thought it would be ironic to name such a rough looking dog Angel and it suits her.
Iris named after the flower
Hitch his full name is really Hitch Hiker just thought it would be a cool named for a sled dog.
Pheonix he was the only surviving pup from his litter
Baby she was just such a sweet thing when i got her and never changed since she is such a doll.
and finally Stinker need i explain?

Noah tell you the truth i know very little about the actualy Noah other then he built the arc lol. I just thought it would be a fitting name for my first Chin
Bright for two reasons one she is any extremly clever dog and her light coat color.
Shady her full name is Shady Lady since she has always been a sort of trouble maker with a sweet face lol.
Rooney named after Mickey Rooney because he just reminds me of him personality wise and he's kinda short lol.
Couger he came with this name from his former owners he is my only black and tan
Heart named him this because he had a heart shaped spot on the inside of his right hind leg.
Sweetie simply the same reason as Baby and Babe she's just a sweet heart
and finally Rajah came with this name

and of course you know Zeus and Tundra both of them came with their names and they were fitting.

Babe because she's a sweet heart and such a babe
Pakak because it defines him as one who gets into everything.

whew

Pets name: Chaos

Pets name: Blue Moon

Pets name: Cajun

Pets name: Smoothie
Old 03-29-2005, 02:22 PM
Puppy Dog

Wrigley. Simply because i'm a huge Cubs fan. And it just seemed to fit him when i got him.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:37 PM
Top Dog

Brady is named after Tom Brady because my husband is a huge Patriots fan. He is from Massachusetts.

Luckily we got him right around the end of football season and not baseball season or his name may be Damon, or Ramirez, or Sox. He barely missed being called Celtic with the timing of the seasons.

I should have named him Manning and made him my little Volunteer dog. Hubby would not have cared, he went to UT also.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:38 PM
Show Dog

Oreo is named Oreo because he's all black with a white stripe down his chest, making him look like an Oreo cookie.

Ginger.. i just looked at her.. and said ginger! and it fit
Old 03-29-2005, 04:44 PM
Love my pets

Max is actually The Great Maximus from some movie Carl likes - can't remember.

CJ actually stands for Cosmic Joe. She's named after my brother who passed away from colon cancer. They are both one of a kind.

Tiny because he was very tiny - only 3 lbs. when Carl got him.

Bear just because.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:26 PM
Top Dog

Well, we named Blackie because Mom had a dog when she was growing up named Blackie, and he is also black. lol The name fits him too.

Rose- I named her Rose because Brownie (her mom) would always climb up onto our porch by going under/through our rose bush. So you can say it was in remembrance of Brownie (who passed away when the pups where just begining to eat dry food. ). And I can't imagine Rose being named anything else. (We call her Rosie Posey Pudd'n Pie. lol )