Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-19-2014, 01:04 PM
Top Dog

Default Beagles

Those who have/had beagles, what are they like in general?
How are they with cats or livestock?
How bad is DA/HA/SSA in the breed?
What are the major health issues?

I'm just brainstorming "future" dogs and I love the bigger hounds, but can't handle one due to size and my joint issues (if the dog can't walk and needs to be carried to the vet, etc).

Most likely the dog will come from a rescue/shelter/private re-home. I don't care if the animal is PB or not.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:18 PM
Top Dog

I haven't owned beagles, but I've known a number who were rescues and my dad's family used to breed them for hunting. They are also super popular in shelters here (brought up from the south). I find them to be super sweet dogs. They have a reputation for being hard to train, but many I've met are active in training classes and do well. They love their people and people in general, but aren't over the top with new people or dogs. They have all been great family and companion dogs.

I haven't met one that was DA or SSA, or aggressive in any way towards any one. They were bred to live and hunt in packs, so DA really isn't a breed trait at all. The ones I know do just fine with cats, and are even good with small pets like rabbits.

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Old 03-19-2014, 01:28 PM
I'm All Ears

Never owned one, but lived with one a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRanger View Post
Houndy. lol She was loud, happy, nose to the ground, had quite a bit of energy (young though), loved food, exhuberant, goofy, independent. Overall just a happy dog with some independence and needed better training but not her fault... She was actually quite trainable but had a 'whats in it for me' attitude. Very very cute and master of the sad puppy eyes.

Quote:
She lived with multiple cats and other dogs as well as miniature cows just fine. She was very playful and would chase the cats some but we never worried about her hurting them.

Quote:
In my experience not. At all. She was very happy go lucky and loved pretty well everyone. Very even temperament but she could be annoying with the other animals. But she was young and just needed boundaries.

Quote:
I don't know so much. Might want to look into the beagle club there. She had juvenile cataracts though I have no idea if that is common or not.

When I worked in the shelter in Texas we frequently got in beagles. All were very much like Layla. Good, sweet, houndy dogs. They'd be easy to find in rescue too.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:32 PM
I'm All Ears

One warning I'd give is how vocal she was... The BAYING, omg.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:30 PM
Top Dog

I actually LOVE baying! I'm weird that way.

Laurelin, where in TX did you live? I'm south of San Antonio.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:30 PM
Higbread Dingbat

I've only owned one beagle for any significant length of time (Oz), but my grandfather owned many when I was younger, and I have fostered one.

As Laurelin said, they're houndy lol. That's the best way to describe them.
Food loving, and stubborn. But very trainable once you figure out what makes them tick (usually food). Oz is usually pretty quick to learn and work when he thinks there's a good payoff.
Overall pretty happy little dogs.

Typically do fine with livestock. Oz has a real hate for cats, but I think it might just be because they torment him so much. He's never actually hurt one.

As far as I know and have encountered, it's quite rare to have any of those traits.
My mom mentioned that years ago when my grandfather used his hounds for hunting, she remembers exactly 2 being aggressive (out of at least 40 over the years). And those 2 "disappeared"

Obesity - they're just garbage disposal units. They will eat until they blow up, and many are quite content without a walk if it means they can eat more.

Back issues are quite common in the breed. Typically if you can keep the weight off it's not a pressing issue.

As for the baying...ugh...I don't mind the deeper bay of a larger hound, but this is what Oz sounds like:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...02054284403643
I apologize for the shaky camera work, but these are some excerpts from a hike we did about a month ago.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:39 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRanger View Post
I actually LOVE baying! I'm weird that way.

Laurelin, where in TX did you live? I'm south of San Antonio.
I was in Bryan/College Station.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:43 PM
Top Dog

I grew up with a Beagle who is still alive at 10 years and living with my mother. I absolutely adore her.

In general, Freckles isn't terribly loud. Can be a bit whiny, but nothing too excessive. I love her houndy bay. Insanely food motivated and she learned things quickly because of it.

She was raised with cats and never had an issue. She loves them and they actually cuddle all the time. Never spent too much time in close contact with livestock.

She doesn't have an aggressive bone in her body. She is absolutely lovely. Loves all people and all animals.

She was a healthy weight until we spayed her at 5 years old. Then, she rapidly gained weight. She is definitely overweight and spoiled now, but hasn't had any other health issues ever.

Old 03-19-2014, 03:49 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I was in Bryan/College Station.
Lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDog View Post
I grew up with a Beagle who is still alive at 10 years and living with my mother. I absolutely adore her.

In general, Freckles isn't terribly loud. Can be a bit whiny, but nothing too excessive. I love her houndy bay. Insanely food motivated and she learned things quickly because of it.

She was raised with cats and never had an issue. She loves them and they actually cuddle all the time. Never spent too much time in close contact with livestock.

She doesn't have an aggressive bone in her body. She is absolutely lovely. Loves all people and all animals.

She was a healthy weight until we spayed her at 5 years old. Then, she rapidly gained weight. She is definitely overweight and spoiled now, but hasn't had any other health issues ever.

She is beautiful!
Old 03-19-2014, 07:22 PM
LABRADERP!

I had a Beagle for 11 years. He died last Novemeber from cancer and he took my heart with him. He was the best dog and sooooo sweet. He was stubborn and if he couldn't have his way, then he wasn't doing what you told him to do. He was easy to train with the right kind of food. Again STUBBORN!!!! He was also from hunting lines, so he had an edge to him. He was a hard dog, not as in living with him. As in you could drop in the middle of the woods and he would make it back home as the leader of a wolf pack. He was loud, smelly and complete jerk.

But he had my heart, he understood me on a level no other dog seemed to know. He was bold, and brave. He loved people and kids. He was a foodie and loved a good meal. He was just such a fun dog and sold me on hounds for the rest of my life. I have two Retrievers right now and it's just not the same. I miss my hound!

Beau was ok with cats, but given the chance he would eat them if he could. But again he was from hunting lines so that's a bit different. He LOVED cows and horses! He tried to eat every small animal near him and was NOT good with small pets.

He was not DA, he LOVED other dogs, but he was also a scrapper and loved a good fight. He wouldn't back down from a fight and put my mom's Westie in the vet numerous times. He was a crate and rotate system with the Westie. He was FA with all dogs and mildly with people. But that is not typical of the breed.
He was NEVER once HA, he loved all people and never met a stranger. He LOVED LOVED LOVED LOVED kids with all his heart and being. He was happiest when he was with kids and he lived to be with my nephew.
No SSA at all, but he did HATE my mom's Westie.

Cancer and weight issues.
He was a healthy dog and it was shocking to find out he had prostate cancer. He went for bladder stones ad came home to buried.

All and all I cannot wait till I have another one. They're the best dogs. Not to big and not to small. Hardy, tough, and smart. God I miss him.....

Sorry for the long post, but I miss him and sobbed like a baby typing this up. But if you do get a Beagle, you'll never be without one that is for sure!

PICTURES!
Here is what Beau looked like in his prime, NOT what you typically see with the breed!

10/01/2013
Gunslinger's Snowfall Banshee Scream "Takoda"
03/22/2010
Forever in my heart
Murray's Bojangles is High Rollin' "Beau"
11/03/2002-11/21/2013