Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 09-08-2006, 09:55 AM
Big Dog

Default Fleas! Curse them!

Yep, he's got 'em. I had been noticing my Pudge was itching a lot and I was hoping it wasn't the inevitable fleas. I took him to the vet about 2 weeks ago or so and sure enough, he had fleas. They gave him some Revolution stuff that they said should get rid of them. They seemed to be reduced or gone for awhile but now they're back. I recently caught two that I saw crawling through his fur....he also cleans the rear area, especially the ingroinal (sp?) aka around his crotch a lot.

I've been reading more about them and it seems the best options are Frontline or vet meds. But I've also heard of some Citronella bathing stuff. I actually need to start taking him baths since he hasn't really had and official bath yet.

I'm not sure if I should use any soap or Citronella or what but I do want to get rid of them asap, because they are obviously driving him nuts. Also, I took him to puppy class because I thought/hoped the Revolution had taken care of them. It may or may not have at that time, but they are definetely back and I want to get rid of them soon so I can take him back to classes and stuff.

So what are some of the methods you guys have used to get rid of fleas?
Old 09-08-2006, 10:02 AM
Top Dog

Frontline or something similar is what I would use. I use it on Sadie and she doesn't have a problem with them.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:54 AM
Big Dog

That's cool. How much does it cost and how long does it take to get rid of them? or does it just prevent them?
Old 09-08-2006, 12:07 PM
Top Dog

Where I live it costs $45 for a 3 month supply. It gets rid of them very quickly. From what I understand, it won't stop the dog from getting bit by a flea, but once the flea bites the dog it dies. It keeps the dog from becoming infested with fleas. Or you could talk to your vet, they may recommend a different brand. Hope it works for you and your doggie
Old 09-08-2006, 01:38 PM
Evil Kitty taco eater

Definatly Frontline!
I get 6mo worth for around 50$

Where am I going? And why am I in this hand basket!!!?
Old 09-08-2006, 04:36 PM
Bobsk8

Frontline is what I use and it works
Old 09-08-2006, 07:09 PM
Top Dog

Frontline is what we use

Old 09-09-2006, 01:11 AM
Big Dog

Does anyone know about the less expensive brands? I bought some Hartz 4 in 1 thing that was probably 8.99 for a 3 month's Supply. It seems a lot cheaper but I'm not sure if it works. It claims to get rid of Fleas, Ticks, mosquitos, and Flea Eggs!

I would love to save money but if the stuff doesn't work or if the quality is questionable or the product unsafe, I'll definetly go for what works.

Also, I had some suggest using flea bombs for the carpet. I was planning on just getting one of those carpet cleaner machines (the stuff with a detergent/soap and water) and spraying and vaccuuming the carpet. Also I was going to wash the bedding and any clothes they might be on a few times a week. Is there any special or effective procedure that works best...Should I use Flea bombs (of course I was told to leave the house for a at least 4 hours) or just vaccuum/clean the carpet?
Old 09-09-2006, 05:27 AM
Evil Kitty taco eater

Nothing compares to the REAL thing baby! You get what you pay for sometime.
How big is your dog? I just happen to have some on hand. I could send you one.
If I remember correctly (my mind is gone) you have a small type dog and this is for large dogs.
I could possibly find you a 3 month suppy fairly cheap. Lemme know if you want me to do that. You will have to buy online but I will only refer you to the place I get mine from.

Where am I going? And why am I in this hand basket!!!?
Old 09-09-2006, 06:59 AM
Trained by an Airedale

We use a dog shampoo which has a mild amount of tea tree in - and it seems to wipe them out - but flees only seem to make an appearance in spring here. I wash the bedding in a hot wash....kill all those little eggs - yukk!!