Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-07-2006, 04:57 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Biking w/ Dog

I tried riding my bike and having my husky on his leash and it worked pretty well. Although sometimes he'd try to pull me or move out in front of me and almost be touching the front tire.

I looked into the thing that ties your dog to the back tire but it's actually rather expensive. Are any of you capable of biking with your dog confidently? If so, how did you do it?
Old 09-07-2006, 05:09 PM
Water Junkie

Well I do not bike with Lizzie and I do not think I would try, especially since they have to be tied to the bike and that tikes a chance of them some how geting under the bike Not a good thing!!!!

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 09-07-2006, 06:23 PM
The dog is never wrong!

He's a husky- Let him pull!!!
Easier then having him to the side, plus he gets to do what he loves to do best!
Plus its a blast being pulled by a dog. Nothing like taking tight turns at 20+ MPH. Quite the adrenaline rush.
Check out www.alpineoutfitters.net for great pulling equipment.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:20 PM
The dog is never wrong!

Kinda typed that reply a bit fast. Anyway, if youre interested in starting bikejoring, tell me, and I'll write up how I train the dogs that have never bikejored before. I might be a little long though. Dont really feel like typing it all now.
What you will need though is a X back harness, a ski-joring line, and a halfway decent bike, which I'm assuming you have. As long as the brakes are good, youre fine. Depending on how old he is, it might be a few months before he's actually pulling you, without your constant help.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:30 PM
Puppy Dog

So I tried it again and I went for a much longer ride. And it was awesome! Being that it was only his second try he did great! He did see a cat at one point in time and I had to slam on the brakes. But he didn't pull me off or even make me lean over. I have a little difficulty trying to get him to go left or right, but once he saw me leaning one way he'd rush right over. He did pull now and then but I had a pokey collar on just so I knew I could control him had he decided he didn't want to play anymore. I would say we had no serious incidents. Toward the end I had the ability of turning because my bf would be out front and he would turn the corner first and Shadow would follow him. He absolutely loved it and looked so happy in the end.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:02 AM
Dog Show Addict

Riot and I go biking together often. He LOVES it.. he can run along beside me as fast as he wants.. I'll always be the one to tell him to cool it - hes a very high drive dog and will go until he drops.

Because of Riots RallyO training he knows his Left, Right, Easy(slow down) and With Me(heel). He responds to that during our bike rides, so whenever I need him to turn a certain way, I give him the command and he'll go that way, if hes going too fast for himself I tell him easy and he slows down a pace, if he starts getting a head of me and trying to pull I just say With Me and he drops back to my side again.

In the beginning it was kind of difficult to situate things, but we got it under control. He also knows Leave It and Off when we pass people or other animals.

There is also a thing you can get for your bike where it attaches onto it and keeps the dog so its at least a foot from your bike at all times.
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 09-08-2006, 12:37 AM
Snow Girl

That''s great you have been able to find a way to excercise him!!! Who knows maybe with the added escercise he''ll be able to finally live peacefully with your weim?

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 09-08-2006, 11:23 AM
Top Dog

Default biking

Not much to add--although Wrigley loves it when we bike--but obviously he is a LOT smaller than any of your dogs. I put him on on a flexi leash and just put it on my handlebar and hold on to it....he loves being able to go faster than when on our walks!
Old 09-08-2006, 11:52 AM
Top Dog

I take all my dogs out every other day with my bike I have a springer attached.
http://www.gearfordogs.com/pages/Springer.shtml
these are great, been using them for years and never had a problem, I tend to put the dogs in a H back harness(like a walking harness) and clip the springer to the D ring on the top of the harness, I then have a lead on the dog so that I have double control, its espcecially good if you have to bike round built up areas on the pavements etc, as if the dog is in front of you this can be tricky unless you are on trails.

Mo
Old 09-08-2006, 01:12 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogstarsleddogs View Post
Kinda typed that reply a bit fast. Anyway, if youre interested in starting bikejoring, tell me, and I'll write up how I train the dogs that have never bikejored before. I might be a little long though. Dont really feel like typing it all now.
What you will need though is a X back harness, a ski-joring line, and a halfway decent bike, which I'm assuming you have. As long as the brakes are good, youre fine. Depending on how old he is, it might be a few months before he's actually pulling you, without your constant help.
I looked at the website you posted and it looks great! I would greatly appreciate it if you wrote up how you trained your dogs for me. I would start training Shadow right away.