Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 09-07-2006, 03:14 PM
Smiles and wiggles

Exclamation Should i put up for stud?

Hey, i was just wondering how many people think that my pup, Aj would be a good father? He is extremely well-behaved and is already showing his talent in hunting and agility. In the area where i live, there are LOTS of hunters, so i was thinking some of them might want a little of Aj-pups. The only problem is it makes me feel horrible becuase of all the dogs in pounds. Hunters, at least the ones i know, like pure pups to train by themselves. So either way i dont think they would take a pound dog. But, i dont know, i just need opinions. And, please, no harsh remarks? Im confused about what i should do...

Sophie - Simetra - A.j.
5 year old Female Mutt - 1 year old ESS Female - 1 year old ESS Male

The rest of my crew: Ozzy, Black Berkshire male rat; Stinky, Black Hooded male rat; Kittiwi, Black Female Mix cat; Barrel, Black Male Mix cat; Raviolli, blue/black/white Parakeet male (My family owns a lot more animals, but these are just the animals that i either own or take care of).
Old 09-07-2006, 03:21 PM
Twin 2.0

I would first establish your dog's prowess as a hunter and have a concrete interest shown by those same hunters you think may want a pup by him. Then before agreeing to stud him to anything at all, get his hips, eyes and elbows certified so he doesn't pass any genetic problems on, which would inhibit a pup's ability to properly hunt. How old is he? He needs to be at the very least 2 years old.

But until you have people breaking down your door to have AJ stand stud, I would just keep him a swingin' bachelor.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:36 PM
Top Dog

Agree Zoom !!! It's hard to find a Dam for your stud .... They are sought by the breeder of the female .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 09-07-2006, 03:38 PM
Smiles and wiggles

Ok, thanx!! Once he reaches 2 years, i will have the vet check him and then when he is 3 or 4 years i will see if anyone would want a litter out of him. Thanx a lot!

Sophie - Simetra - A.j.

The rest of my crew: Ozzy, Black Berkshire male rat; Stinky, Black Hooded male rat; Kittiwi, Black Female Mix cat; Barrel, Black Male Mix cat; Raviolli, blue/black/white Parakeet male (My family owns a lot more animals, but these are just the animals that i either own or take care of).
Old 09-07-2006, 03:52 PM
Top Dog

Good luck !!!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 09-07-2006, 04:02 PM
Smiles and wiggles

Thanx!

Sophie - Simetra - A.j.

Old 09-07-2006, 04:02 PM
Are you dead yet?

Good for you for doing the research. Yes, health testing is extremely important and I would not breed him if he was not 100% sound.

Just continue to take AJ to hunting and agility trials. A lot of people will pounce on a promising looking dog and ask about his availability as a stud. I've had quite a few people ask me about my Border Collie when we weren't even competing. Keep in mind that not all of these people are responsible about breeding; it pays to be choosy as the stud owner, about what bitches you will allow AJ to breed to.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:09 PM
Smiles and wiggles

Ok, thanx! Ya, i found out that just taking him places will pick up female dog owners. A few years ago i took Aj's mother to a parade because her owner (my best friend) was in the parade and another female ESS owner came up with his dog and thought that Andi (Aj's mother) was a male so he was asking about if "he" was up for stud. Lol. Im not gonna just choose anyone like that though.

Sophie - Simetra - A.j.

Old 09-07-2006, 05:12 PM
Top Dog

What I would advice along with the very good information supplied by others is, if someone does eventually approach you for your dogs service, after you have the certification of all his health checks that is, make sure that you get the pedigree of the prospective bitch before deciding, check out what is behind her as well as your boy so that you are not doubling up on any dogs that have bad traits that may be passed on, also ensure that the bitch has also got all her certifications of health.

mo
Old 09-07-2006, 05:13 PM
Smiles and wiggles

Ok, thanx, Moe!

Sophie - Simetra - A.j.