Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 04-19-2005, 10:42 AM
Top Dog

Some dogs just aren't into toys. My old Lab, who I recently had to pts was never really into toys. She loved walks and going on horsey rides with me. She loved hanging out with the kids and she did fetch a ball. But that was about it. It saved on my pocket book though. You should see how much I've spent on my present dogs on toys. Good heavens! But your pup may change, like the others said.

One thing about socks is that they can swallow them. It can cause a blockage and death if emergency surgery isn't performed. And giving your pup slippers and such may cause him to think it's ok to chew up all your shoes, slippers, etc. He can't be expected to differentiate at this early time in his life. So, IMO, it's best to give designated dog toys and that's it. Some people have many different types. I think if you have a dog who goes after all your good stuff, it's better to not have too many different types of toys. It makes it harder for him to know what is a toy and what is your stuff. I just had mostly bones...smooth Nylas, ones with nubs, different shapes and Kongs.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:56 AM
~3 Mutts~

Shelby has never liked toys, either. She used to fetch, but the pup she grew up with (my aunt's dog) used to take the ball, and run with it, and Shelby got bored and wouldn't play anymore.

Now, my two boys are a completely different story...LOL. They love their toys. Always have. Beethoven has even taken a few of my stuffed animals (I love stuffed animals LOL) and decided they were his . Luckily for me, they weren't my favorites . He took a bear, and two puppies (yellow lab and black lab LOL). He carries them around constantly. They also enjoy (along with other stuffed animals LOL), tennis balls, Kongs (the best toys), and, oh, well, there's tons of them strewn around my house, and I don't remember them all!
Old 04-19-2005, 11:45 AM
Top Dog

A-w-w-w....Beetoven! I wish my dogs could chew stuffed animals. They use to have such fun shaking and killing them. But all the stuffing would come out in about 2 minutes....didn't matter if it was my Doberman or my Chihuahuas. They're all vicious chewers.

Before I got a Doberman, I was telling my Mom how much I'd like a Doberman and she sent me a very small stuffed Doberman which I have for decoration up high on a shelf above my computer. It's quite a good replica. Lyric stands beside me sometimes just looking intently and longingly at this thing, like he'd really, really like to have it. He did get it once and I promptly took it away. Mine, mine, mine!!!!
Old 04-19-2005, 12:31 PM
~3 Mutts~

LOL!!! haha...That's way too funny Doberluv!!

Beethoven actually doesn't try to kill his stuffies too much...LOL he mostly carries them and then sits down with their heads in his mouth, like he's sucking on them or something. He's a goofball LOL.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:58 PM
Active Pup

Hello everyone,

Just to update you all (new doggiehood is lots of work and has been keeping me busy!!)

Missy (my pup) is now playing with a small stuffed dog and likes to chew on any type of chew toy we give her. (so much for not liking toys!!)

She now knows how to fetch her oggie-doggie and loves to play. We just had her spayed a couple of days ago and its hard to keep her calm.

As far as her disposition she is still alot calmer than most other jacks (so I hear!) and we are really enjoying her company.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:53 PM
~3 Mutts~

I'm glad she's doing well! Yay Missy!
Old 04-24-2005, 10:16 AM
BusterLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursej
Hello,

I am a new owner of a 6 month old Jack Russell Terrier. We have had her for a week now and things have been going not too bad. She a very sweet, cuddly girl who was shy at first but is now developing into a curious willing to please little pup.

However, we have bought several different toys, (one soft small chew toy, one ball and a hard nyla bone) and she does not seem to have any interest in the toys at all. We are able to take her on walks daily which she enjoys, but when the weather is bad out, I would like something to keep her entertained.

She does like treats but doesn't seem to care about any of her toys. I was just wondering if anybody else's dog did the same or if they have other suggestions.

Thank you
we own 3 dogs, 2 dont play with toys. Daisy the tiny one, wrestles and play fights with the other dogs, she is actually very rough, and sophie is big and will play may 5 minutes a week. they are not interested, plenty of attention and fun training should help keep her entertained