Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 03-28-2005, 04:48 PM
Active Pup

Default Doesn't know how to play with toys

Hello,

I am a new owner of a 6 month old Jack Russell Terrier. We have had her for a week now and things have been going not too bad. She a very sweet, cuddly girl who was shy at first but is now developing into a curious willing to please little pup.

However, we have bought several different toys, (one soft small chew toy, one ball and a hard nyla bone) and she does not seem to have any interest in the toys at all. We are able to take her on walks daily which she enjoys, but when the weather is bad out, I would like something to keep her entertained.

She does like treats but doesn't seem to care about any of her toys. I was just wondering if anybody else's dog did the same or if they have other suggestions.

Thank you
Old 03-28-2005, 05:15 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

A week is not long for readjustment..i am sure she will show you all kinds of new behaviors as time goes by..ol boss said it takes 6 weeks to get use to any new situation..i found that true.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:21 PM
1 dog max the cockapoo

I once read in a book that it might help to try and make the toy come alive for the dog. Do this buy shacking it around stuff like that!
Old 03-28-2005, 06:26 PM
Top Dog

She might have her own opinion of whats a toy and whats not!!

The first 'toy' Lucy showed interest in when she came to us was her water bowl - she used to pick it up, empty the water out onto the carpet, and fling the water bowl around like a frisbee! (At the time she actually had her own frisbee, but obviously it wasnt good enough )

I was never sure whether I found it really annoying or very sweet!!

Lucy

~ My Blog ~
Old 03-28-2005, 07:06 PM
Active Pup

Thanks guys
Old 03-28-2005, 08:20 PM
Top Dog

Since she likes treats, she may like the small kong with a treat in it. My Goldens were'nt into lylas, rubber, etc etc ...some balls and 100s of stuffed animals to baby! Each breed is different.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:23 PM
Top Dog

I also have a Jack Russell (Parsons Terrier!) who is 5 now, and I bought her at 7 weeks. She did not want anything to do with toys until about 9 months, and now she won't put them down!!!! She is super smart, too. Knows the difference between her toys (such as ball, stick, tug toy). Don't worry, I'm sure she'll 'grow' into them!!!

Old 03-29-2005, 10:00 AM
Felurian

Oh, Nursej, enjoy your "shy" Jack Russell while it lasts - they don't stay shy for long, lol! Once she gets acclimated all that will change, and if she doesn't pay attention to the toys you've bought her, never fear, she'll find things to play with - now whether you'll like her choice of toys or not is another matter entirely!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-07-2005, 08:48 PM
Active Pup

i go with the suggestion of a kong toy. she will grow out of it. trust me, i have a 5 month old dachound and all she does is want to play.lol.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:53 PM
Active Pup

im not sure if this is healthy for the dog, but our dog LOVES our old socks. she will open dresser drawers and pull my socks out and pla for hours, but her teeth are not all that sharp, i dont no how long your old socks would last with a puppy jack russel, lol
maybe try an old slipper, because ive found that many dogs love something that smells like there people.