Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-05-2006, 12:11 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Anyone have a soft coated wheaten terrier?

We have been researching this breed and it sounds like a gem of a dog! If anyone can attest to this, please post here!

Thanks!!
Old 09-05-2006, 07:53 PM
Top Dog

An on-line friend has a soft coated Wheaton and she always raves about the great attributes of this breed. She has also rescued a couple over the years and I believe her son & his family also took quite a road trip to rescue one as well. She has told me they make wonderful family additions.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:31 PM
Puppy Dog

Thanks for the reply! I've read that too about their temperment but I wanted some firsthand experiences about it from owners or people who have met them.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:04 PM

Wonderful dog in so many ways. Still a terrier so will need proper training and socialization...like all dogs!

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Old 09-05-2006, 11:58 PM
Twin 2.0

I hear that they can be great dogs, this so far has not been my experience with them. However, with proper training and socialization (something most Wheaten owners I know failed to do) I'm sure your dog will do just fine. But be warned that they are fairly insane unless asleep.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
I hear that they can be great dogs, this so far has not been my experience with them. However, with proper training and socialization (something most Wheaten owners I know failed to do) I'm sure your dog will do just fine. But be warned that they are fairly insane unless asleep.

I love that description Zoom...fitting for many wonderful terriers..wound but wonderful~

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Old 09-06-2006, 08:50 PM
Puppy Dog

So wheatens are not good dogs? I get so confused on this site when people criticize every breed of dog. Every dog would be a terror if not trained properly, right?

I'm just going by all the breed descriptions on the net. Has anyone here actually trained one? What was your experience?

Thanks everyone for the input...much appreciated! I need all the info I can get!
Old 09-06-2006, 09:00 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

I've had a few in my classes and they were NOT good students! They were both first time owners, and these were pet store dogs, so not of the best breeding. I would imagine a SCWT from a good breeder would have a better temperament and therefore be easier to manage. The ones I've seen at shows seemed lovely and attentive (of course, there was liver involved, but still).

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 09-06-2006, 09:17 PM
Puppy Dog

I think I'm going to give up looking for a dog. We are limited due to allergies by my hubby. I've posted on a couple of different websites questions about breeds and every single one came out as "bad" or not good.

Maybe I'll post what requirements we have and you folks can suggest some breeds for me?

Low-shedding
Small-medium
Good with children
Can be let off-leash (and come back! lol)
Active but not hyper

Any suggestions?
Old 09-06-2006, 09:33 PM
Twin 2.0

I would use this breed selector test first; I find it's very accurate: www.k9country.com/perl/dogBreed.pl

If it seems like much of what we do is denigrate dogs, is because many of us deal every day with the aftermath of what happens when someone rushes out and buys a dog with very little forethought or research. We really do love dogs, we just want as many people as possible to fully realize what they're getting themselves in to, which will hopefully keep more dogs out of the shelter/rescue system.

I work for a boarding/training/grooming/daycare pet resort and wheatons make up a huge part of the dog population there. 95% of those dogs were bought because they make adorable puppies and most came from a petstore. The owners have no clue to terrier temperments, drive or needs, which results in a hyper-active disaster of a dog. I've been bitten by a couple different ones for no particular reason other than they got overexcited, which very quickly turned into anger and I was the closest thing they could reach. Another SCWT I dealt with would get so incredibly angry at the other dogs that were going home before him that he would go on a rampage and bite anyone within reach, and if we put him behind a baby-gate, he would literally jump up and down like a little kid and throw a fit. We couldn't crate him without risking personal injury because of how crate aggressive he was. I tried very hard to work with him, and I made quite a bit of progress so that he while he would still get upset, but he could at least contain himself and sit by the door instead of sliding into a frenzy. Part of that was poor breeding I believe, another part was that he had a very terse owner who wasn't a good match for his dog.

There also seems to be very little stablility when it comes to size, but again, I see a zillion BYB/puppymill petstore dogs.