Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 03-28-2005, 07:25 AM
Big Dog

Default Help!! Nipping/I think teething!

Bailey and I have been communicating well with everything but this! It is getting out of control and I am not sure how to tell him that furniture and my leg are not okay to nip at and chew on, but his toys are. He doesn't seem to be grasping it when I put a toy in his mouth when he starts chewing, as well as spraying the furniture with a product called "Bitter End" to get him to stop.

I take him out on a walk as soon as I can when he starts doing this, which wears down his energy so he is too tired to chew. Is this really the way to go?

When I give him a toy, he will chew it for a few seconds and then go back to nipping at and chewing what he was before. If I sprayed it with the "Bitter End" (which apparently wears off after a day), he will chew the closest "no no" thing.

I have tried telling him "ouch" when he nips, he stops and looks at me for a second, and then go back to it. I have tried saying "No, Bailey", same thing. I can't think of any way to communicate on his level so he will understand!

Help! I really don't know what to do about this.

Yunalesca's Page:
www.catster.com/?136901
Old 03-28-2005, 08:38 AM
Show Dog

if hes a puppy dun worrie about it they all do he will grow outa it.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:55 AM
Big Dog

I have heard that he will grow out of it, and I really don't mind that it is just a puppy phase, but my training book and other people have said that you need to teach them to distinguish their toys from the furniture and your foot, for example. I think I am failing to communicate what is his toys and what isn't. Any suggestions on how I can do this so he might understand a little better?

Yunalesca's Page:
www.catster.com/?136901
Old 03-28-2005, 12:38 PM
Felurian

It sounds like Bailey is doing it for attention now, especially if he likes going for those walks! Think about it from Bailey's side: "Ooooh, I want to go for a fun walk . . . if I nip Mom she takes me for a walk! I'll go nip her now!"

After he's dropped the toy a time or two and gone back to doing what he DOES know you don't want him to do, try giving him a little time to think things over by himself in a Bailey-proofed room like the bathroom, alone. That takes the fun reward out of it. The longer he keeps getting attention and rewards for nipping and gnawing the furniture the longer it's going to take him to grow out of it.

Good luck - he's a smart little beggar!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-28-2005, 03:17 PM
Big German Shepherd

The water-spray isn't working? I used it on Rocky and say NO or NO BITE at the same time. Now whenever he begins to nip I say, NO and he usually starts licking or just stops and whines a bit. The only time his nipping really gets out of control is when I'm playing with him and getting him all excited but a simple but firm NO usually does the trick.

Good luck.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:46 PM
Big Dog

I think the time out idea is really good. My husband thinks it sounds good, so I think I'll try that. I'll let you know how that goes!

Yunalesca's Page:
www.catster.com/?136901