Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-04-2006, 09:18 PM
Big Dog

Default How far is too far?

for walking a 3 month old German/puppy.

I used to walk him at least about 1.5-2 miles a day. I don't know for sure how long it was but considering the distance and time I'm sure it was at least 1.5 miles. I typically take him for a walk before I go to work (so around noon-1pm) for probably about .5-1 mile. Later in the day I'll take for another walk which I'm guessing is 1-1.5 miles or close to that. It varies and some nights I'll take him for longer walks than others. Another thing that came to my attention is the fact that I usually walk him on paved paths or sidewalks.

It seemed a good amount to me, because I never forced him to go any further than he wanted to. Whenever he lagged behind or seems tired I'll pick him and carry him most of the way or all of the way back home. The reason I'm wondering if I took him to far was because at this puppy preschool class I went to, the instructor said that I should only walk him a block or so. That seems like a little short for my dog and he always has tons of leftover energy after being cooped up in his crate all day. The main reason I walk him at night (which is also very cool temp-wise, around midnight) is to get rid of excess energy so he will go to bed easier.

So my basic question is; How far is too far? I really don't want him to have joint problems as he is a growing puppy.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:21 PM
fastpitchchic

I think the reason the instructor said about a block or is because the pup is still growing, and that could a lot of stress on a pup so young...i'm sure some one more knowledgable than me can explain.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:34 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastpitchchic View Post
I think the reason the instructor said about a block or is because the pup is still growing, and that could a lot of stress on a pup so young...i'm sure some one more knowledgable than me can explain.
I've heard the same things... young and especially, large breed puppies, should not be walked great lengths because of their growing bodies. I could be wrong though.

Old 09-04-2006, 10:03 PM
Evil Kitty taco eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy'sParents View Post
I've heard the same things... young and especially, large breed puppies, should not be walked great lengths because of their growing bodies. I could be wrong though.
Exactly. Regular puppy play and short walks are perfect.

Where am I going? And why am I in this hand basket!!!?
Old 09-05-2006, 12:35 AM
Big Dog

So is a mile or so too far? What about just 1/2 a mile? I've already taken him for some long walks but usually with a few breaks.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:24 AM
Big Dog

Also, is it okay to walk him on the sidewalk/paved walkway or should I try to mostly keep him on the grass?

I'm guess 1/2 is short enough....or should it be shorter?

I guess I was mistaken but I just didn't think he was getting enough exercise just for a walk around the block and playing fetch or something for an hour or so everyday.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:06 AM
Snow Girl

There''s a difference between a "walk" and a "stroll." A walk is a quicker pace with determination of getting excercise for you and your dog. A stroll is where you go at a very leisurely pace and are just out more to spend time with your dog than to get excercise. When OC was a puppy we would stroll a lot and explore new things. But we never went further than a mile at a time.

It is a good idea to stay away from pavement and concrete as much as possible for growing joints and even adult joints but if you''re just walking or strolling that''s not *as* important as opposed to if you were jogging.

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 09-07-2006, 11:59 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc_spirit View Post
There''s a difference between a "walk" and a "stroll." A walk is a quicker pace with determination of getting excercise for you and your dog. A stroll is where you go at a very leisurely pace and are just out more to spend time with your dog than to get excercise. When OC was a puppy we would stroll a lot and explore new things. But we never went further than a mile at a time.

It is a good idea to stay away from pavement and concrete as much as possible for growing joints and even adult joints but if you''re just walking or strolling that''s not *as* important as opposed to if you were jogging.
OK thanks a lot. The only problem is, I live near the city. There is a grassy strip that I used to walk him along but for some reason he never wants to go along it anymore. he seems to prefer sidewalks and the street or a paved path.

But thanks for the advice. I'll definetly try to keep him on softer areas now. I hope I haven't caused any potential joint problems from what I've done so far.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:21 PM
The dog is never wrong!

I think 1/2-1 mile should be perfectly fine. When Ranger was about 2.5 months old, he began his harness training, where he was walking/jogging and pulling (light weights at first) for about .5 mile. By 4 months, he could pull me for about 1.5 miles. (Going slow, abt. 8 mph).
He's 4 now, with no problems whatever.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:27 PM
Sit! Good dog.

The general rule is!

FIVE MINUTES FOR EVERY MONTH

So - at 3 months of age he should be walked NO MORE than 15 minutes.

This goes up to a year to 18 months of age.

Especially in a breed renound for bad joints.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein