Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 03-28-2005, 05:47 AM
BusterLove

Question agility and ??crate training??

THeres is a couple of things i would like to askabout.

I have a dog that i would like to get into agility, he is a dog that loves whoever he lives with but will attack other dogs, as soon as he is out of the yard he is barely controlled by voice, i cant do agility untill i can teach him to ignore distractions, maybe if we can make it a job, like herding, because he is a cattle dog, he will focus on the obstacles and not on the dogs in the crowd.
how can we work on this, he is only 2.

also, is crate training where you put your dog in a crate when it sleeps??? I dont like the sound of that, but im not exactly sure what it is, please help

also, how do i put a pic next to my user name.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:55 AM
Big Dog

If you have a dog that's aggressive to other dogs, I wouldn't recommend any off-leash classes (like herding) yet. Talk to the trainers. He would probably benefit from a obedience or basic agility class where he can be kept on leash with you. I'd work on getting him past the aggression issues. I'm actually in a similar situation with my foster dog. I'm going to be entering him in agility classes in a few months, but I'm still in the process of getting him past his protective aggression towards humans.

Crate training is where you provide a crate for your dog to stay in when you're not with him. Such as when you go to work. The training part comes in acclimating the dog to the crate so that he sees the crate as a comfort zone, a safe place where he enjoys hanging out.

You can put a pic by your name by editing your user profile and adding an avatar.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:12 AM
BusterLove

thanks, thats heaps of help.
let me no if u get ure dog through the agression thing.
my dog, buster, is learning but he still needs some work,
my mother and i are taking him to obediance classes, its not like he's disobediant, he's just a bit agressive, e can sit, stay, come, crawl, jump, spin, leave it, outside, search for things, and other things, but once your outside he doesnt want to relax.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:49 AM
Show Dog

Hi

I have an agressive dog that i have done agility with for 6 years.

A few quest

Does he actualy want to attack the dogs or is he worried?

Does he like toys?

also

Have you got msn or yahoo messenger if so ill have a chat with you on there.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:08 AM
Big Dog

I haven't learned much about agility yet (my puppy isn't going to start his training for at least another 6 months. By the way, Agility, how old to puppies need to be to start agility? I wasn't planning on putting Bailey in it until at least after clicker 2 training, he will be about 9 months. Is that too young?), but I can tell you a little about crate training, from what I understand.

Crate training is a very humane and kind way to potty train and keep a puppy out of trouble when you can't watch them, if it is done correctly. Speaking from experience, just sticking the dog in the crate and hoping they will get used to it WILL NOT WORK. You need to start feeding them near the crate, reward them whenever they show curiousity toward the crate, play with them in the crate WITH THE DOOR OPEN, and after a while you will be able to successfully put them in the crate with the door shut. When you first start shutting the door with them in there, you will need to occasionally reward them for being in their crate. This all helps them think of the crate as a happy and fun den. You should always put toys and something to chew on in there with them so they never get bored. They should never stay in the crate more than 4 hours (you will have to work up to this from 1/2-1 hour, eventually) unless it is at night, when they should never be in there more then 8. This is of course less if they are a puppy, since they can't possibly hold their bladders that long.

You should put the dog in the crate at times when you are there AND when you aren't there, so they never associate the crate with being alone. When I first started crate training Bailey (the positive way, which is the only one I think works), I would need to put him in the crate about every 2 hours for a half an hour. I would reward him when he went in and when he went out, and occasionally I would leave the room for a while. I always rewarded him when I came back in the room for not crying while I was gone. NEVER let them out WHILE they are crying, this is heartbreaking when they start, but if you let them out they will know that is what they need to do to get out.

Anyway, there are MANY ways to crate train dogs, but this one worked best for me. Hope I helped.

(There are also many alternatives to crate training, like a puppy proofed room, if you still don't like that idea.) You're dog isn't a puppy, so crate training might be a waste of time if they don't really get into anything while you are gone and they are housetrained.

Cindy

Yunalesca's Page:
www.catster.com/?136901
Old 03-28-2005, 02:48 PM
Show Dog

most clubs inc me say 12 months for 90% of dogs then 15 months for the much larger breeds such as montain dogs. If you want to know for your exact dog i suggest asking either a vet or a breed club when the specific breed growth plates close.

The last thing you want is to start to earlier all it will mean it you cannot do agility ever again cause of bone damage.

It really isnt worth starting too young.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:49 PM
Big Dog

I had no idea agility at a young age could cause bone damage! Is it really that hard on their joints?? I think I will consult a vet in about a year and see if he is ready. He is a large breed puppy (and a mix breed), so the agility isn't really for competition or anything, just something fun for us to do. Thanks for the information.

Yunalesca's Page:
www.catster.com/?136901
Old 03-28-2005, 03:53 PM
Show Dog

its the stress on the growth plates by 15 months all breeds should be alright but i still wudnt do full height jumps and a frame until 18 months.

For competition its 18 months and this is due to growth plates

If you think about your dog landing from 2ft 6 inches over and over again all the pressure of his weight landing on his bones over and over.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:58 PM
Big Dog

It is not even an issue to start him early. Like I said before, I am in no rush anyway, it is just suppose to be something fun for us both. I could never risk my dog's health for something like that.

Good point about the jumps.

Yunalesca's Page:
www.catster.com/?136901
Old 03-29-2005, 05:59 AM
BusterLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agility23
Hi

I have an agressive dog that i have done agility with for 6 years.

A few quest

Does he actualy want to attack the dogs or is he worried?

Does he like toys?

also

Have you got msn or yahoo messenger if so ill have a chat with you on there.

yes, my email is [email protected]
buster does attack other dogs, he's never done any serious harm, just shocked the, but it is upsetting to see your pup try to attack a three legged puppy and not be able to call him back... he is usually very good and it has saved him a fight with a rottie (buster is only 44cm at the shoulder) because we were working him cnstantly and it was only a very quick op... how do u get you dog to focus on you rather than the dogs in the crowd?