Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-04-2006, 06:44 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 09-04-2006, 06:46 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
And then you have all three of my shelter dogs...the biggest behavioral problem I have is with Aubrey and her barking at other dogs while on-leash. Easily manageable. My Aussie Sawyer was a stray, I have no idea in the world what his background was like...he is the best dog I have ever had, hands down. My Lab Virgo, has the sweetest, most gentle temperment you could hope for. She lets my boss' 10 month old boy belly flop on her and crawl all over poking at noses and ears without even lifting her head.

You cannot judge all shelter dogs on one poor example. It is also quite easy to temperment test a shelter dog, same as you can a breeder dog. If you find that it has a quirk you don't think you can deal with, find another. My one complaint about people going to the shelter is the same as those who buy from petstores. They choose on cuteness and probable size and not much else, then think all shelter dogs suck when obvious problems arise.
I would never think that all shelter dogs are bad- NEVER. As a child ALL of my dogs were either strays or from shelters. I am not willing to take the chance with a 7 year old child in the house!
Old 09-04-2006, 06:49 PM
Twin 2.0

I personally wouldn't take a chance with a DD, but it's your choice, your kid and I hope your doodle works out for you and gets the Lab side of temperment and not the poodle. Out of the dozens of poodles I've met, I can think of three that weren't extremely shy and snappy. Ok, five if you count Poodlemom's.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:49 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Yes, I know the standard, and no I don't have a mentor. I am going to title her. She's 5 1/2mo.
Find yourself a mentor - right now it's the best thing you can do. A GOOD mentor, there's a few breeders in TN, you can find their info on Yorkshire Terrier Club of America's site. Be warned, most people who are dedicated to their breed won't like people BYBing, and it's painfully obvious that's what your doing.

Don't people below 18 have to show in juniors before they can go into the breed ring? ****, if I could have gone straight to the breed ring at 15 it would have saved me so much trouble and humiliation - but sooo worth it and such a rewarding experiance. Dogs cannot be titled in junior classes as the dogs are not judged - you are.

Quote:
If a dog is show potential, I price them higher than pups that are being sold as pets(generally pups that are smaller, or have a bad bite, etc)
Like I said, setting yourself up for disaster. Stupid, stupid, stupid and I can't stand when people do it, or understand their reasons. What happens if that show potential pup gets older and it becomes obvious it won't make it in the show ring? Will you refund the buyer?
Old 09-04-2006, 06:50 PM
Puppy Dog

Oh, Baxter is anything but shy and snappy. He is playful and definitely acts more lab-like...but he has kept the poodle's intelligence. We are happy to have him

Edit: Also, no offense, but could we keep the underage breeding issue out of this thread? It is off topic.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:52 PM
Puppy Dog

Just saw your PM dixie, feel free to reply/answer that way if you'd like.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:56 PM
Twin 2.0

Dixie, you are 14. You are in no way old enough to have the necessary experience needed to successfuly breed one breed of dogs, never mind four. You hope to title your dog; it's not a guarantee. You are setting yourself up to be a lovely little BYB kennel though. I hope you research Huskies enough to realize that you most likely won't be able to keep them anywhere near your Yorkies.

I'll stop now before I get really into this post, but my mind is throwing a fit right now.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:00 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdthepug View Post
Find yourself a mentor - right now it's the best thing you can do. A GOOD mentor, there's a few breeders in TN, you can find their info on Yorkshire Terrier Club of America's site. Be warned, most people who are dedicated to their breed won't like people BYBing, and it's painfully obvious that's what your doing.

Don't people below 18 have to show in juniors before they can go into the breed ring? ****, if I could have gone straight to the breed ring at 15 it would have saved me so much trouble and humiliation - but sooo worth it and such a rewarding experiance. Dogs cannot be titled in junior classes as the dogs are not judged - you are.

Like I said, setting yourself up for disaster. Stupid, stupid, stupid and I can't stand when people do it, or understand their reasons. What happens if that show potential pup gets older and it becomes obvious it won't make it in the show ring? Will you refund the buyer?
I will look for a mentor around here. I believe you do have to show in Jouniors, but I'm not sure. The breeder who sold me Dixie gave me most of my info. Oh and they aren't guarenteed to be Show quality, but I'm not going to sell a dog who's got an awful bite with full registration! An irresponsible person would most likely breed it for some idiotic reason, probably for profit, and end up making a bunch of puppies with screwed up bites. It's basically a Full, and Limited registration price. If you don't like that still, then okay, but it's how I feel about the situation, and I don't think someone should have to pay full price for a dog who can't be bred, or shown. How is it obvious I'm a BYB? I'm not, and I don't support them in ANY way whatsoever. I promote spay/neuter for people who don't intend to RESPONSIBLY breed dogs, and I also promote OFA, CERF testing. I'd like to know, so maybe I can clear up whatever is making you think I'm a BYB.

p.s. Poodley, please forgive me for going off-topic in your thread! I'll try to keep it to PM's.

Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Old 09-04-2006, 07:02 PM
Puppy Dog

Dear god, you have a pm dixie
Old 09-04-2006, 07:05 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
Dixie, you are 14. You are in no way old enough to have the necessary experience needed to successfuly breed one breed of dogs, never mind four. You hope to title your dog; it's not a guarantee. You are setting yourself up to be a lovely little BYB kennel though. I hope you research Huskies enough to realize that you most likely won't be able to keep them anywhere near your Yorkies.

I'll stop now before I get really into this post, but my mind is throwing a fit right now.
I'm not the only one who'd breeding. My sister will be breeding, and titleing the Husky (and she's going to be fine with my Yorkies, I've had the 2 breeds together in the past, and all was FINE), the maltese will be bred by my mother (who has no computer experience, so she's educating herself w/ books) and I'm breeding the Silkshire and Yorkie. We're a family kennel as explained in the website. I'm not a BYB. Yes, I am 14, but everyone starts somewhere. I'm more educated then most 50yr olds on dogs, and I'm learning more everyday.

JDthepug, and Zoom please lets continue this throught PM. If there's anythign you'd like to continue.