Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-04-2006, 06:41 PM
Shiba Inu Slave

Colliewog- right on!

That's what drives me insane about it too. If the animals have contracts, are being bred to some sort of objective standard, and are appropriately health-tested, then who am I to tell them what they're doing is wrong? My concern is only for the health of the animals. If Australian Labradoodle breeders are doing OFA and CERF, and working at making Labradoodles a legitimate breed, not just continuing F1 crosses as a selling point (which I see the majority of American breeders doing), then power to them.

Selling the dogs on claims such as "hybrid vigor" (which doesn't exist in animals that aren't HYBRIDS- and ESPECIALLY not in animals that are F1 crosses), or the fact that they are all "no shed" (they simply aren't), is false advertising, pure and simple. It's mind-boggling the number of Labradoodle breeders in the US I've seen state that "they don't need OFA and CERF, because Labradoodles aren't purebred, and don't have all those genetic problems."

WHAT??

And unfortunately, people who don't know better, who trust the breeder to be telling them the truth, and are reading the same information on doodle website after doodle website fall for it. And then their "hypoallergenic" dog sheds it's puppy coat, and lo and behold, someone's allergies start acting up, and the dog is sent to a shelter. (I've yet to see an American Labradoodle site list that dogs that don't work out are to be returned to the breeder).

And so you have to wonder...if the dogs aren't being shown, if health-testing isn't occuring...why do they cost so much? Reputable purebred breeders spend a fortune on entry fees, on driving to shows, on the litany of tests that they put breeding stock through...it all adds up, and an expensive price helps to recoop *some* of that. And yet I've seen un-tested Labradoodles go for THOUSANDS more than show prospects from BIS winning (health-tested) lines! WHY?

If the Australian Labradoodle breeders and/or some American breeders are testing these dogs, have airtight contracts (with dog-return and S/N policies), and aren't selling them under false claims- then ABSOLUTELY, I'd love to see them keep breeding.

Another thing that bothers me- on so many of the websites I see- they say absolutely NOTHING bad about the dogs. That is the POLAR OPPOSITE of what you'll find in reputable purebred breeders- most go to great lengths to explain why "breed x" makes a poor choice for the majority of the general public. We do our best to discourage people from obtaining the breed, unless we are SURE they can handle it. And that's how it should be for ANY breed (or intentional cross).

Old 09-04-2006, 06:52 PM
Teri's babies

Ok...would someone PLEASE tell me exactly what a BYB is? I've decided in my mind, but am thinking I am wrong...BTW, Kato was a Wal-Mart special. He's my best behaved and most willing to obey. He's a border collie mix...not sure what dad was, but his characteristics are that of a bc. Sorry I got off topic...again.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:55 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

I agree with Doodley & Loveofanimals. They both took the words right out of my mouth. I have a Silkshire Terrier (Silky Terrier/Yorkie) and I love her to death. I don't agree with IRRESPONSIBLE breeding, but there are responsible purebred, and mixed-breed breeders. Like Doodley said, all dog breeds came from crossbreeding. Why not create a new breed that may be healthier than the standard breed...? My silkshire was specifically (and responsibly) bred to be the size of a Yorkie, while retaining the hardiness of a Silky so that people with young kids, can have a dog, and not worry about it getting hurt, and be within the limits of most rent-houses, or appartments. They are wonderful all around dogs, and I love my little Lucy.

Chloe - 9 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 3 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 09-04-2006, 06:59 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

TAC_1, a BYB is a Back Yard Breeder. Basically someone who breeds soley for profit. But if anyone knows as well as I do, a responsible breeder makes little-NO profit, and only breeds out of a love for the dogs, and the breed.

Chloe - 9 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 3 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 09-04-2006, 07:01 PM
Puppy Dog

Ok "doodle" (every time I hear that or a mix with doodle in it's name I think of the doodle bears) lovers - show me a good breeder. Dixie's mom, care to share the name of the breeder/kennel you got your dog from? I would love to look into them. It's not that I don't like the dogs, it's the people behind them.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:02 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Dixie's_Mom~ View Post
TAC_1, a BYB is a Back Yard Breeder. Basically someone who breeds soley for profit. But if anyone knows as well as I do, a responsible breeder makes little-NO profit, and only breeds out of a love for the dogs, and the breed.
I know a BYB who doesn't make a profit - and if she does it's very, very little.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:03 PM
Shiba Inu Slave

Hey Tac 1-

BYB stands for "backyard breeder." It's a term that covers a broad range of people with irresponsible breeding practices, and really has nothing to do with WHERE the dogs are raised. (We really prefer that dogs are raised in a home, rather than kennel situation).

A backyard breeder is generally someone with very little knowledge of what responsible breeding entails. They figure it begins and ends with finding two dogs you like, breeding them, and waiting for puppies.

Their reasons for breeding generally range from "I'd like to make a little extra money," to "I wanted my children to see the miracle of life," "I love Brandy and she's really cute, and I want a puppy just like her." You get the picture.

These are all pretty pathetic excuses for bringing new lives into the world, especially when those lives could be compromised by genetic health problems.

Whenever ANYONE breeds they should be doing genetic health testing. OFA, CERF, PennHIP, are the minimum. In breeds where there are other common genetic problems (for example, deafness in ACDs), tests should be run to protect against those as well. Most BYBs don't do said tests. A lot of the time it's because they don't even know such tests (or genetic problems) even exist. But this isn't an excuse. Anything worth doing is worth doing right, and their are plenty of first time breeders who ARE doing it right. They have mentors who SHOW them what to do. They study for ages. They know their breed and their dogs' lineage.

The information and ability to do it right is avaliable to ANYONE, especially with the advantage that the internet provides. Ignorance is simply not an excuse, and yet we see it used ALL the time.

When you're playing God with lives (which is essentially what breeding is), you cannot afford to be callous OR clueless.

Hope this helped!

Old 09-04-2006, 07:10 PM
Teri's babies

Wow tempura! Thanks so much for the wealth of info. I'm glad I asked...my assumption was wrong, lol. Now I'll understand a lot of the threads! Again, thank you!!
Old 09-04-2006, 07:13 PM
Shiba Inu Slave

No problem!

It can be mind-boggling to stumble in on threads with all of these acronyms- especially when one little word contains SO many connotations.

Glad I could shed some light on the situation!

Old 09-04-2006, 07:16 PM
Puppy Dog

^ good post