Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 09-13-2006, 02:55 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by peetee07 View Post
Absolute hypocryts!! Nothing like dressing your dog in a dress with rediculous bows sticking out of there head and rediculous poodles shaved to conform.I guess that's bettering a breed showing it off so you can reep the awards to have valueble pups when bred. But my goodness don't show your dog in a REAL show and it's abuse. You breeders are darn right rediculous and rude.
What's abuse? What's a "real" show? I'm confused by your statement. Do you have an idea of what a conformation show is about besides parading dogs around the rings? I'm sure you don't.

Please spell ridiculous correctly if you going to insult someone.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:58 PM
Shiba Inu Slave

Quote:
Absolute hypocryts!! Nothing like dressing your dog in a dress with rediculous bows sticking out of there head and rediculous poodles shaved to conform.I guess that's bettering a breed showing it off so you can reep the awards to have valueble pups when bred. But my goodness don't show your dog in a REAL show and it's abuse. You breeders are darn right rediculous and rude.

Let's have a little chat about ridiculous and rude.

Last time I checked SHIBAS are not required to wear DRESSES AND BOWS to compete in conformation competition.

In fact...last time I checked NO dogs were required to wear dresses and bows to compete.

Poodles are shaved as such because it's a nod to their history. The breed is German, with the origin of their name being "Pudel" (roughly translated as "puddle.") They are water retrievers. Coat was left on the chest, hips, head and ankle joints to keep these most significant areas warm. (Heat escapes INCREDIBLY quickly from the chest and head- as a distance runner braving all sorts of weather you BET I know this to be fact. On cold days coach advises me to wear a hat and a long-sleeve t-shirt). It's no mistake that the original WORKING Poodle breeders kept hair in these areas. To ignore doing so would mean hypothermia. And I assume we can all agree that a dead dog is a useless dog?

But imagine how hindered the dog would be if he were to keep hair ALL over his body? It would drag him down. So the breeders shaved down the hair in areas that weren't essential to protect.

As far as those high topknots- they allowed the hunter to see the dog at all times when in the water- you can't very well miss a dog with a topknot like that.

Now of course it's more stylized- we have the French to thank for that.

But if you think that dogs can't perform their original function PURELY because of a haircut, well you would be dead wrong. I know several people in Poodles who have worked their dogs SUCCESFULLY in full blown show coat.

Furthermore...Poodles never have bows in their topknots during competition. Perhaps you were thinking of Maltese or Yorkies?

I have to ask, have you ever BEEN to a dog show?

Judging from your approximation...probably not. Once again...if you haven't a flaming clue what you're talking about, it's best to say nothing. What you are describing sounds a lot more like a PET PARADE. Which is very different.

My dogs go into the ring as they are. It is against the rules (and the very nature of my BREED) to so much as trim a WHISKER. So I don't.

Beyond conformation, my dogs are trained in agility, and after I finish up undergrad in a year, will begin tracking.

They're already fabulous hunters- the dead birds, opossum, and rodents in my backyard are testament to that.

Get the REAL facts before you besmirch the hard work of other people.

And by the way...what do you possibly mean by "reap the rewards?"

You couldn't possibly mean money, could you?

We pay to ENTER dog shows. You certainly don't earn any money by winning. And good breeders are lucky to break EVEN.

OFA, CERF, bloodwork, STD testing, show entries, proper diets, stud fees, care of pregnant bitches, and the sheer amount of TIME we spend with each puppy ENSURES that we make nothing.

Last edited by tempura tantrum; 09-13-2006 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:05 PM
Int CH - $uperBitch

Quote:
you breeders are ignorant, undeducated, selfish, BYBs who only care about money

Old 09-13-2006, 03:21 PM
Top Dog

Sigh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 09-13-2006, 03:25 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
If you think people who show their dogs are cackling and rubbing their hands together over piles of money they get from selling their "valuable puppies", you're wrong. After all the testing (OFA, CERF, etc), vet trips, and possibly vet care if the mother or pups need it, PLUS all the man hours involved in caring for and socializing the puppies, PLUS the costs of showing to begin with, these breeders are not raking in the cash. They're probably losing money. If they're extremely lucky, they're breaking even.

I get the impression, from your posts, that you think that people here look down on any dog who isn't a champion show dog. Not true! My own beloved dog was a mutt (some kind of labrador mix) from the local animal shelter and she was the light of my life. (Sadly she passed away earlier this year at the ripe old age of fourteen.) She had a great termperament and was smart as a whip.

But I would never have bred her because plenty of wonderful, intelligent dogs--both mutts and purebreds--die in animal shelters every day. To be worthy of breeding, an animal should be SPECTACULAR, not just "really smart", "really cute", or "a really unusual color." And to PROVE that it's spectacular, the dog should be shown in the ring.

That doesn't mean non-show-dogs don't make great pets; it just means they make great pets that shouldn't be bred.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:19 PM
Shiba Inu Slave

Quote:
Sigh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
LOL Grammy, I thought the SAME thing when I saw this starting up again.

Do people just not READ anymore?

I missed the part where all of us who bred dogs for conformation were talking about the pretty dresses we bought our bitches for the "evening wear" competition.

You should really see my Kimi's bikini for the swimsuit competition. She looks stunning.

Old 09-13-2006, 04:42 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempura tantrum View Post

You should really see my Kimi's bikini for the swimsuit competition. She looks stunning.
Wow take some pics!! Hows her eveningwear?

Old 09-13-2006, 04:44 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempura tantrum View Post

Now that I have to see! LMAO

Old 09-13-2006, 04:51 PM
Shiba Inu Slave

Quote:
Hows her eveningwear?
It's a gorgeous floor-length evening gown. Dark navy blue and backless. Like Hillary Swank's at the Oscars.

(I'm sorry, sometimes it's just too hard to resist...)

Old 09-15-2006, 01:33 PM
Top Dog

Now Tempura- I have to say that a nice powder blue would be much more complementary to her coat. Possibly with a little understated jewelry in the ears. A french mani would be a nice finishing touch. After all, it wouldn't do to have her not win because she was underdressed!
My poor dogs are not purebred and must content themselves with being nudist heathens.