Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-04-2006, 01:13 PM
Love My KEEShond

Another great story for the pit bull I just feel so bad for them...

Don't get me wrong, I feet terrible for the lady and her guide dog, too! But it justs adds on to the pit bulls bad rep, when it was really the owners fault for not watching her dog!
Old 09-04-2006, 01:14 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

I work with a guide dog school, so I hear the reports. They usually don't make the news, but it is not uncommon. The dog is focused on their handler, so therefore is somewhat vulnerable, and all over the country there are loose dogs who take advantage of this. I know of several who had to be retired due to the attacks, not because of physical injury, but the dog became afraid of certain things, which is unacceptable for a guide dog.

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 09-04-2006, 01:15 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyKees View Post

Don't get me wrong, I feet terrible for the lady and her guide dog, too! But it justs adds on to the pit bulls bad rep, when it was really the owners fault for not watching her dog!

I agree it is not the dog that is mean it's the owners for not taking the time to socialize and train it when it was young!

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 09-04-2006, 01:17 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo View Post
I agree it is not the dog that is mean it's the owners for not taking the time to socialize and train it when it was young!
It all boils down to control. No matter what you do with your dog, you need to keep it contained.

~Smooth Collies~

Old 09-04-2006, 01:31 PM
Bobsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyKees View Post

Frankly I am getting tired of reading report after report about Pit Bulls attacking people and kids and other dogs, and the response is always " Oh people are Picking on the Pit Bulls unfairly".... At the emergency Vet last week while I was there , a guy came in with his dog that his neighbors pit bull had attacked. The dogs leg was almost severed. A conversation in the waiting room started, and another person's neighbor's 10 year old child had been bitten by a Pit Bull a year ago while walking his dog on his street. A year later he is still was afraid to walk around the neighborhood. Someone else remarked that the breed was developed to be "dog aggresive" , so what do people expect when they get one?" . Last month a man in the same town , was attacked by another Pit Bull and both he and his dog wound up in the Emergency room with multiple bites. He told the TV reporter that he was glad he was walking the dog and not his wife, since it took every bit of strength he had to fight off the Pit Bulls.

The stories go on and on and on.. just in my neighborhood alone...

http://www.wsbtv.com/video/6900544/detail.html

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/life/c...?storyid=56612

http://www.wsbtv.com/family/8229989/detail.html
Old 09-04-2006, 01:45 PM
ME+DOGS=CRAZY

Oh, but if it where a lab, or something, no one would care! Sorry Bobsk8, I do agree that some pitties need better owners, but what makes me mad is that it's not just pit bulls. It's poodles, goldens, labs, and every other dog out there, but people only really care about exposing pitties...It really makes me sick!
Old 09-04-2006, 01:49 PM
Bobsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartsammy View Post
Oh, but if it where a lab, or something, no one would care! Sorry Bobsk8, I do agree that some pitties need better owners, but what makes me mad is that it's not just pit bulls. It's poodles, goldens, labs, and every other dog out there, but people only really care about exposing pitties...It really makes me sick!
I didn't know that Labs and retrievers were bred to fight other dogs...
Old 09-04-2006, 01:52 PM
ME+DOGS=CRAZY

they arn't, thats why it suprises me when they attack dogs and people and yet people rarly make a big deal about it. But if it where a pittie, the news reporters would be on it in a second...
Old 09-04-2006, 01:52 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

They weren't, but bad breeding has resulted in dogs with bad temperaments who are dog aggressive. I've seen some vicious Labs and Goldens and it really takes you by surpise! You expect a happy dog, and instead it comes at you with hackles up, growling. Not a pretty sight.

~Smooth Collies~

Old 09-04-2006, 01:57 PM
ME+DOGS=CRAZY

I live next to a kennel, and with no lie, I've been growled at by border collies (some one got bit by one too), labs , and even a basset hound...Now I'm not saying those dogs are bad, but every time a pit bull or staffie comes in, it is just so happy to see everyone, tail wagging, it's whole body is wiggling, and they have yet to have growled or even shown agression towards me or anyone...