Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Rescue Forum

Old 03-29-2005, 05:09 AM
BusterLove

we also helped a kingfisher that got hit by a car and was just left on the road, and we had an agile wallaby joey, which we named sheila, she got to come everywhere, once we almost lost her to the heat, she stumbled around and we knew something was wrong when we could touche her pouch as usually she was very protective about this area and would act agressively if you bought your hand to near, putting sportswater into her system gave her the sugar she needed, and afetr a few hours in an air conditioned room, she was fun and bouncy again, it was quite scary tho for the whole ordeal, eventually, we gave her to a more experienced carer but we'll always remember her.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:26 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

thats awesome!!!!! both the king fisher and the wallaby! Wish i could have seen them..sounds like you did a great job.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:20 AM
BusterLove

we lost the kingfisher, but we had heaps of other birds, i just cant rememer them
Old 03-30-2005, 09:52 AM
no touchy

Well, all my dogs are rescues .

Colby we found at a no-kill shelter. We had decided to get a dog and after visiting a few shelters we found the perfect dog. She's so smart and quick.

May we found in the woods behind our house. She was starving, and had just had puppies. We never found her puppies, we believe she had been used as a breeding dog. She was terrified of men. She's one big sweetheart.

We originally intended on giving Tippy, whom we got from abusive and neglective neighbors, to a family we know, but they didn't want her. Her search for a home ended. She's such an angel.

My sister, an old friend and I rescued a litter of kittens before also. We were walking and they're mother was carrying them one by one across the street and got nervous when she saw us. They now live with that old friend.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:19 PM
Top Dog

I'm so glad to hear that my partner and I aren't the only ones who try to rescue every animal we see. Dogs:
-Frankie was a 2 year old border collie mix who I found while taking a walk. She was adopted by good friends of ours.
-Remy was a 3 month old German shepherd/Rottweiler mix puppy who we found on our way to work one day. He was scampering after some children who were walking to school and when we asked if he was their dog the little girl said "no, he was my older brother's dog but he didn't want him anymore so he put him out." He was adopted by a friend of a friend & is now her spoiled baby.
-Deja had tags on and was returned to her owners.
-Scooter was a yellow lab who we found running down the street near our home. We knocked on a couple doors and it turned out he had just slipped out of his yard, so he wasn't exactly lost (ok, we rescued him from his next door neighbor's yard!) but he was about to be, and he was heading for the main road.
-Lolly was a little offwhite mop of a dog running down the street. We took her home, settled her in the laundry room with food and water and had to go back out again. When we came back a few hours later she had forced the basement window open and escaped. (how she did this I don't know. It was a small window, and the kind that cranks open). We later found out that she ran down our street and right into the path of a friend of ours who also rescues dogs. She was adopted by the friend's sister. She is now the cutest dog you ever saw.
-Chowder is a chow mix that we found 2 weeks ago, and it looks like he's staying. We tried to find a home, but no takers so far and he's so attached to me I think it might be cruel to make him leave.
cats:
-Barnaby, my first kitty, adopted from a kill shelter at age 3. His shelter time was running out. Lived to be 17 and we still miss him.
-Tigger, a barn cat who was 6 months old and near death when my partner found him. Now 10 and going strong.
-5 baby kittens that were born in our neighbor's shed. She was going to put poison down, so we grabbed the cat carrier and told her we'd take care of everything. We spent an hour catching the kittens in a shed piled to the roof with old bikes, bbq grills, etc. We gave them to a no-kill cat rescue organization. We couldn't catch the mama cat but the same organization later was able to trap her, spay her and release her again. We still see her around the neighborhood, she's very wild.
-Tater Tot, a 5 month old kitten that my partner found in the alley behind her work. He came right to her, so home he came. He is the sweetest most affectionate cat, you'd never think he spent his first 5 months as an alley cat.

That's on top of our basic population of 2 dogs and 5 cats. whew.